Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this backup camera from ebay

Because this was design for license plate screw mount, I need to rotate the inside camera by 180 degree in order to mount it upside down in the same spot as the OEM camera. Luckily at the back there are 4 tiny screw and I was able access the tiny camera to flip it around. The tiny camera was glued to the housing using silicon adhesive.

Rear camera mounted on the rear door facia panel.

Had to drill hole to the rear door facia panel and bolt the camera in place.

Here's how the wires are connected behind the rear door.

1- Cable from rear camera coming through rear light housing assembly.
2- Connector to power/video line.
3- Splitter for power & video.
4- Video line connected to 12 ft RCA shielded video cable.
5- Power line tapped into reverse light.

Insert RCA video cable between rear door and rubber grommet on top of rear door.

The RCA video cable goes into roof liner and down the B pillar on driver side. Connect RCA video cable to GPS AV cable then run it under driver seat and beneath center console stack.

AV cable and power cable for GPS pulled up onto center console next to media holder.

Tapped into original 12V power and add second 12V socket on passenger side of center console.
Run GPS power cable under center console and plugged it into secondary 12V socket.

Backup camera image viewed from Magellen 1700 GPS.

Surprisingly the GPS signal is very strong even when mounted on the media holder in center console.

All in all it took me 2 weekend to install and wired everything.
Very happy with my customized DIY.

Cheers,
Bill :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
nice write up.

question: why didn't you just install an LCD mirror and run the backup image to the mirror? you ran the cable all the way to the front anyway. replacing the mirror is pretty easy and it looks more oem than having a gps on your console.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice job! Wondering what was your total cost in doing this job if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job! Wondering what was your total cost in doing this job if you don't mind me asking?
Here are the cost of material for this project (bought from eBay and Amazon).
Backup camera $21.00
3.5mm Male / 3 RCA $3.00
RCA Video Cable $10.00
Molding Remover Set $16.00
GPS car charger $11.00
12v DC Socket $12.00
DC Power cable $ 6.00

You can pick your own GPS.
I use the Magellan 1700 because it has ext AV input.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bill :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts