Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Already did the dash speakers, LED upgrades, and wheels thanks to the great info on this forum. So here's my contribution to the knowledge base.

Decided to swap out the static red rear bumper reflectors for the functional red LED/ clear lens reflectors. The kit is found on eBay by a company called mit accessories. After installation I must say, I'm totally happy with how the look turned out. It also adds an extra pair of brake lights to the whole rear of the car.
The kit arrived faster than what was promised which was a nice surprise. Here's how the kit comes:

Rear Bumper Reflectors.jpg

Installation was somewhat daunting as the rear bumper, rear seats, trim boards and side panels had to come out to access the combination rear tail lamp connector. The kit is wired to turn the led's on when the tail lamps come on, when you step on the brakes (glows brighter), and when using the signal flashers. When testing the lamps on the vehicle prior to installing on the bumper, I decided NOT to hook up the turn signal wires. I didn't like the look of the red led's flashing on the bumper while the rear turn signals were flashing amber. I just sealed the connection off with heat shrink tubing and electrical tape. In hindsight the whole passenger side trim won't need removed as I did not need to access the right hand turn signal connector. When all the interior is removed, there was a convenient rubber plug on the body which made routing of the included hookup harness a breeze. The hookup harness also comes with a perfect fit grommet to maintain moisture the barrier of the cabin. As a reference, here's the drivers side rear well where I made all my connections:

rear_well.jpg

Here's pics of the harness connect points and rubber routing plug.

connector point.jpg

CLose up of rubber routing plug:

plug.jpg

I cleaned the inside of the bumper and placed tie down blocks and zip tied the harness every 6" or so so it wouldn't move around. Took my time and put everything back together carefully and did a final test. Everything looked real nice. Like I said, totally happy with how it turned out. The vendor MIT Accessories have 2 variants, red lens and clear lens. All connectors are a perfect match with the CT's harness and each line is fused for added safety. The install was relatively simple if you took your time installing it. Took my time and even added extra dyno mat in spots to make the whole back quieter. Here's the look with lamp off and the lamp on:

reflector2.jpg Reflector1.jpg

Looking to install a foldaway front license plate bracket in the front next. Just can't see screwing in the OEM bracket to that bumper.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks GTR, goinkin!

Well goinkin, or maybe minimal brain cells, LOL, Seriously though, I guess the key is to work slow and methodical. I had more problem with installing the LED light in the license plate lamp. I struggled to grip the socket when re-installing the lamp, had a hard time getting my hand in there. At least there was a lot of room to work on this mod.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's more complete views of how the lamps look in daylight. I like the clear reflectors during the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those look REALLY nice. Are you going to swap out the yellow bulbs in the tail lights? I did so with some chromes amber bulbs. Makes it look really clean and still blinks yellow albeit not as bright.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was planning on doing that, glad you told me about the brightness issue. Where'd you get the chromes from? ebay? Manual says WY21W and I think they cross reference to 7440's/21Watts. Any issues with the fit of the bulb into the receptacle?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I ordered the replacement units. I looked under the car and think I can replace the lenses without removing the bumper. Need to remove a couple of plastic covers under the car.

Then I need to fish the wires upto the rear light.

What's the best way to remove the drivers side rear trim to access the wiring harness?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was planning on doing that, glad you told me about the brightness issue. Where'd you get the chromes from? ebay? Manual says WY21W and I think they cross reference to 7440's/21Watts. Any issues with the fit of the bulb into the receptacle?
Yeah I got them off ebay. Completely plug and play. Getting the tail light off was the only issue, you just have to wiggle it off. Otherwise super easy.

I want to do my puddle lights but I'm afraid I'm gonna break them!

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered the replacement units. I looked under the car and think I can replace the lenses without removing the bumper. Need to remove a couple of plastic covers under the car.

Then I need to fish the wires upto the rear light.

What's the best way to remove the drivers side rear trim to access the wiring harness?
There is no easy way to remove the drivers side rear trim without removing a ton of stuff (at least I could see) all the way back to the rear seat bench. You could attempt to see if you could patch into the harness via the access hole behind the driver's side rear combo lamp assembly. When you take the cover off you can clearly see the connector you will be tapping into. If you're not going to use it as a turn signal flasher, then you could eliminate routing the right hand turn signal (passenger side) routing harness. You probably could replace the reflectors without removing the bumper, but it'll be a struggle. It already was a struggle getting the "Z" alignment catch of the reflector to lock into the slot on the bumper with the harness squeezing through the same hole. Attaching a few more visuals for you.

harness_routing.jpg Reflector.jpg

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I got them off ebay. Completely plug and play. Getting the tail light off was the only issue, you just have to wiggle it off. Otherwise super easy.

I want to do my puddle lights but I'm afraid I'm gonna break them!
It's not that bad, Apply gradual force at the bottom where the clips are attached to the motor back plate. Once the 2 lower snaps release the top 2 snaps actually will pivot. Then lower the mirror and again place gradual force until the top two snaps release. My driver's side had this sticky goo underneath, passenger side didn't. You could also use a nylon installer tool to get right at the clip points.

Cool, ordered the chrome bulbs for the rear.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's not that bad, Apply gradual force at the bottom where the clips are attached to the motor back plate. Once the 2 lower snaps release the top 2 snaps actually will pivot. Then lower the mirror and again place gradual force until the top two snaps release. My driver's side had this sticky goo underneath, passenger side didn't. You could also use a nylon installer tool to get right at the clip points.

Cool, ordered the chrome bulbs for the rear.
Awesome, I'll give them a go on a hot day. Thanks for the tips. I ordered the chrome bulbs for the fronts as well, I'll put them on later.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, I'll give them a go on a hot day. Thanks for the tips. I ordered the chrome bulbs for the fronts as well, I'll put them on later.
Were you able to find the 7444's in chromes? Or are you using the 7443's? The 7443's would be somewhat dimmer as they only consume 21 Watts Flashing and 5 Watts running as opposed to the 7444's (28W/8W). I think I'll give the 7443's a shot though as it may be enough. Now if I can only figure a way to change that amber reflector piece inside the light housing. . LOL

Oh, another tip comes to mind about the puddles, After you've removed the 5 screws and gently wiggled the forward housing off, pay attention to how the puddle lamp case is hooked on the mirror frame assembly. It's a tang and groove arrangement. You'll need to make sure this is in right to make re-assembly go smoother.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Were you able to find the 7444's in chromes? Or are you using the 7443's? The 7443's would be somewhat dimmer as they only consume 21 Watts Flashing and 5 Watts running as opposed to the 7444's (28W/8W). I think I'll give the 7443's a shot though as it may be enough. Now if I can only figure a way to change that amber reflector piece inside the light housing. . LOL

Oh, another tip comes to mind about the puddles, After you've removed the 5 screws and gently wiggled the forward housing off, pay attention to how the puddle lamp case is hooked on the mirror frame assembly. It's a tang and groove arrangement. You'll need to make sure this is in right to make re-assembly go smoother.
I found the 7443A bulbs in amber chrome. 12v 27/8W for the fronts. Haven't installed them yet as I've been lazy.

Thanks for the tip on the puddle lamps. I'm still not confident to mess with them haha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for posting!

My application will be similiar, I will just be replacing the drivers side reflector with a red LED Rear Bumper Reflector Lamp. Similiar to the one you got from MIT Accessories. From the reflector to a on/off switch attached to the dash. My goal is a rear fog lamp, similiar to the Volvo S80. Would you say the MIT Accessories LED is very bright? Any suggestions on the procedure (what I need to remove) to complete my project? Where did you find the info for your procedure or did you just wing-it? Any suggestions on where I should route the wires to get them into the car? A link or more pictures would be great. Thanks for your time! Donald:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts