Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont even know if this is an issue. A friend asked and it got me thinking... I know there was a pretty bad radiation concern with the earthquake and I know these cars are produced in Japan. Im assuming before they got were allowed in the country they would be checked at the port for any kind of radiation exposure... anyone with any knowledge on this kind of stuff know if this is the case?

Again, Im sure its a silly question but figured I would ask.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do not think that it is a silly question. With new reports indicating that the food supply is radio active in some places I also had concerns about the car industry. Only time and a Geiger counter will tell.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I dont even know if this is an issue. A friend asked and it got me thinking... I know there was a pretty bad radiation concern with the earthquake and I know these cars are produced in Japan. Im assuming before they got were allowed in the country they would be checked at the port for any kind of radiation exposure... anyone with any knowledge on this kind of stuff know if this is the case?

I agree, it is not a silly question.

Just tell your friend that the glowing in the dark helps you find the car in a parking lot. LOL

·
Registered
200 Posts

It is quite a pertinent question and a valid one. A large portion of the country got blasted from not 1, not 2, but 3 reactor blowouts and meltdown of the core. Radioactive iodine, cesium poured into the air and ocean. That stuff doesn't just disappear. It was worse than Chernobyl and you see what happened in Russia.
It's not just the cars. How about televisions and other electronics?
Don't believe that Japan will be totally honest in this situation. They want to get the economy back on track as fast as possible. They are not going to tell the Americans. Sort of payback for WW2 maybe.

If you can rent or borrow a Geiger counter bring it to the car dealer and check out the car.

It's not being paranoid, just prudent.

I have a pre tsunami CT200h. It was in a US port the day the tsunami hit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts