Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I live the state/county decided to resurface almost ever road with what I believe is called chip-seal. It’s a thin layer of tar-like bonding with small sharp stones on top. There’s almost no filler between the stones so it’s a rough surface and SUPER darn noisy. The faster you go, the louder. Over 35 it was unbearable. I literally couldn’t hear the radio on top volume. Grrrr.

So with a more skilled friend, we did the inside of all door panels with the foil/tarpaper stuff. That did not make a dent in the road noise, but people outside the car can’t hear my radio now so back to the drawing board. (That stuff is to seal inside noise inside the car, not to dampen outside noise).

Next I bought some noise dampener that is a heavy pliable vinyl sheet with a thin layer of foam rubber on the underside. You mount it goal side to the car surface. We did the whole floor, put a layer under the cargo false floor, and added a layer on engine firewall.

That reduces Noise by maybe 1/3rd or more. I stopped there as I was out of ambition. But if interested the next step would be to do ALL the wheel wells. I’m fact if I was starting over I’d do those FIRST.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Easiest way if it's bothering anyone is to by some Dynamat and go to town. It is a little louder than I think it should be for a Lexus but it doesn't bother me enough to go through all that trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bringing this thread back from the dead in case anyone stumbles upon it...Rusty was kind of on to something... To really kill road noise you need the trifecta of dynamat (CLD), closed cell foam, and mass loaded vinyl. The CLD dampens resonances in the panels, but the MLV (mass loaded vinyl) is really what blocks the road noise. For a good install, you need to decouple the MLV from the panels using CCF (closed cell foam). a combination of all 3 in enough places will make it as quiet as an ES. you only need about 25-50% coverage with dynamat/CLD but as close to 100% as you can with the MLV. the problem is MLV is very heavy, 1/8" thick material is usually about 1 pound per sqft! Have to decide how much of a weight gain you're comfortable with on an already slow car that gets good gas mileage. Start with doors and wheel wells, then cover floors, trunk floor, hatch, under the backseat, and as much as the firewall as you're willing to pull dashboard to access if you want to go all out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts