Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Have another question. The CT we bought has both auto-dimming side mirrors and an auto-dimming rearview mirror. Are these systems connected to each other or do the work separately?

I have an existing Gentex Autodim Rearview Mirror with compass & temperature and homelink that I'd rather use instead of the current auto-dim mirror if possible. If it works separately from the side mirrors, I'm set... :)

Anyone know the answer to this? Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
The factory auto-dimming mirrors work together. The sensor is in the rear view mirror. Once it dims, both side mirrors dim as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - so if I switched the mirror would that make the side view mirrors stop working?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks all - so if I switched the mirror would that make the side view mirrors stop working?
Probably. You'd have to wire your outside mirrors to your new one the way the factory one is done I would think.

Might need the dealer to assist on this one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Emailed Lexus and they confirmed its independent....

So would the plug for the standard auto dim work with my new autodim?

·
Registered
313 Posts

Lexus said the outside mirrors auto-dim independently from the inside one?

If so, they're wrong here. Not only does it not work that way (based on my observations), but the manual states the outsides dim when the inside dims (page 147 of the 2014 manual).

·
Registered
41 Posts

this is 100% false......... there is no sensor on the outside mirrors. the only sensor is on the rear view mirror and when that dims it also dims the other mirrors. they are completely tied in together and definitely not independent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So some context. My car is 2012 CT200h with Upgraded Audio Package, Leather Package and Nav Package.

This is their response: "

All the mirrors have their own ECU system, and are controlled independently. I have attached a diagram of the system.

We do not recommend or assist with modifying our vehicle from the original factory specifications. Modifications could affect the vehicle’s performance, safety or durability, and may violate government regulations. In addition, damage or performance concerns resulting from the modification may not be covered under warranty."

Here's a link to what they sent me -hope someone knows what it means :p

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z6klz2cki7itjc/2012ct200h.doc?dl=0

·
Registered
313 Posts
According to the diagram, the inside rear view mirror has a dimmer sensor, the outside mirrors do not. I don't know why they would say they can dim independently, unless previous CTs were designed differently, and this document is for a different year.

That wouldn't make sense though, since they would have had to downgrade the design to what is used today.

·
Registered
41 Posts
According to the diagram, the inside rear view mirror has a dimmer sensor, the outside mirrors do not. I don't know why they would say they can dim independently, unless previous CTs were designed differently, and this document is for a different year.

That wouldn't make sense though, since they would have had to downgrade the design to what is used today.

every vehicle i have ever owned with this system only had one sensor. i can not think of a single vehicle that has multiple sensors, it is always in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Oh I see. So if I did change my mirror to another auto dimming mirror, would that still work with the side mirrors?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oh I see. So if I did change my mirror to another auto dimming mirror, would that still work with the side mirrors?
I'd like to think that as long as your outside mirrors are receiving the proper signal from whatever mirror you're using that it has auto-dimmed, they will also dim. I don't know for sure since I have no expertise here, but I'd like to think a proper install, especially at the dealer, should get that working.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes it does. I already changed mine.

Here's the steps to changing your rearview mirror from one that already had homelink on it.
1. Loosen screw on the wedge mount to the windshield.
2. Remove the wiring mold/covering.
3. Slide out rear view mirror.
4. Unhook the wiring (it's just one single plug with multiple wires in it, much like ones seen inside a desktop computer).
5. Plug in your new rear view mirror's wiring.
6. Slide new rear view mirror onto the wedge mount on the windshield.
7. Tighten screw.
8. Attach the wire molding/cover.
9. Optional: Program homelink.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it does. I already changed mine.

Here's the steps to changing your rearview mirror from one that already had homelink on it.
1. Loosen screw on the wedge mount to the windshield.
2. Remove the wiring mold/covering.
3. Slide out rear view mirror.
4. Unhook the wiring (it's just one single plug with multiple wires in it, much like ones seen inside a desktop computer).
5. Plug in your new rear view mirror's wiring.
6. Slide new rear view mirror onto the wedge mount on the windshield.
7. Tighten screw.
8. Attach the wire molding/cover.
9. Optional: Program homelink.
this is awesome, thanks so much. were you able to use the existing wiring plug with your replacement mirror or did you have to run new wires separately?

·
Registered
123 Posts
this is awesome, thanks so much. were you able to use the existing wiring plug with your replacement mirror or did you have to run new wires separately?
Used the old ones. If your OEM mirror had homelink it should be good to go. Homelink is wired to always hot, auto dimming is hot when car is on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably going to do the mirror swap soon - but I don't think the plug from my CT will work with my Gentex mirror - my mirror seems to require a different plug that what's currently used on the existing mirror. My Gentex has homelink, compass AND temperature... I definitely do want my side mirrors to still dim so is there a way to make that all work? I'm guessing that I'd have to run new wiring for my mirror... and couldn't use the exiting one...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agree with the others, these are all on the same system - same as my LS. When my rear view dims, so do the side mirrors TOGETHER.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts