Lexus CT200h Forums banner

"Quality" LED vs Cheap Ebay LEDs 5050 SMD

13K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  evilchargerfan 
#1 ·
Seen a few threads about puddle light mods. Decided to do it myself. Pic of light in my dark garage is attached.

Thing that intrigued me about some comments is the whole comparison of the luxury mod package vs other LEDs available on eBay. The luxury mod package is about $75 + shipping. You can get the set of LEDs on eBay for ~ $20. So is there a big difference? Here are my thoughts:

1) Are people really comparing apples to apples. I bought 5050 LEDs and they seem fine to me. When I hear someone say "I have bought lots of LEDs from eBay and these are so much better" I don't think this is very helpful. Unless you specify what type you are comparing it doesn't say much. Luxury mod LEDs are 5050. They explicitly say so because 5050 is different from say 1210s or 3020s. I have no doubt if you bought older technology LEDs from eBay in the past they will not be as bright at the 5050 LEDs from eBay today.

2) I wonder where these quality LEDs are made. China? Are the quality China ones any better than the cheap China ones? Dunno. Same type of LEDs both made in China. Will one be that much brighter than the other?

I've put in the "cheap" eBay 5050 LEDs and I think they are fine. Pretty bright and white. Slight blueish tint. You can compare to pics in other threads.

I'd like your comments.

Automotive design Black Automotive lighting Light Vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
I have bought LED's on amazon that are 5050's which i believe come from china. If i bundled the amount i got between me, my lady, my dad, i would say 1 of the 30 or so had something wrong. i have also compared against some other websites and brightness and quality seems to be the same.

Not to knock any website but if you buy them individually they can be cheaper. The bundle packs for "your" car i believe they just made a niche market that makes it easier for people who dont want to look and surf 5+ web pages for the right ones.

#4 ·
Really a quick look in your manual will tell you the type of bulbs you need. All your personal/interior bulbs are either:
- Wedge 5 watt clear
- Wedge 8 watt clear
- Double ended 5 watt clear
- Double ended 8 watt clear

Double ended = festoon
Wedge = T10 or W5W or 194

There is still value in having someone test the size of the bulbs for you but these bulbs are so cheap on eBay that you can buy a few extra sizes for trial and error. It's also well documented the actual sizes you need. An hour of research and ordering individually can save you $$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.