Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a sort of rush job as it looked like the sky was going to open up and rain (which never happened). Used the Zaino and it looks pretty awesome. Reflections in paint are like looking in a mirror. I will apply another coat tomorrow if the sun is out BTW, I did this including the wash under a tent I set up...I would never polish or wax a car in direct sunlight. Washed the car...it cooled down...and applied the Zaino Also, notice that you don't really see the clearbra I had installed on the front hood, bumpers and outside mirrors. This was done at the dealer in Massachusetts by Autobahnd. It looks great!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Looks gorgeous, especially on the Obsidian coat! Keep up the good work. All those layers are SO worth it. Sorta like the layers in a fluffy croissant. mmmmm.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks great

Does that feel real slippery when you touch it ?

I will have to look and see if we can get there over here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So did you put a treatment of Z-AIO on and then layers of their polish? Or are you just using the Z-AIO? And are you using their Z-5 polish or their Z-2 polish since there's a clear coat on the CT?

Did you apply a layer of polish on top of the clearbra too then?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did a sort of rush job as it looked like the sky was going to open up and rain (which never happened). Used the Zaino and it looks pretty awesome. Reflections in paint are like looking in a mirror. I will apply another coat tomorrow if the sun is out BTW, I did this including the wash under a tent I set up...I would never polish or wax a car in direct sunlight. Washed the car...it cooled down...and applied the Zaino Also, notice that you don't really see the clearbra I had installed on the front hood, bumpers and outside mirrors. This was done at the dealer in Massachusetts by Autobahnd. It looks great!
Very nice, I use zaino in all the cars I've owned. Haven't done it on the CT yet....since I dont feel like stripping it just yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So did you put a treatment of Z-AIO on and then layers of their polish? Or are you just using the Z-AIO? And are you using their Z-5 polish or their Z-2 polish since there's a clear coat on the CT?

Did you apply a layer of polish on top of the clearbra too then?
On a new car, ZAIO would just be a waste.....Z-2 would be sufficient and maybe Z-5 for a darker color car for extra depth. Really Z-5 or 2 will be fine just which ever one you have. I dont think they actually have any abrasives but I think Z-5 just has more fillers. I technically dont see the Z-5 and 2 as a polish but more of a sealant even though they call it a polish even though it has no abrasives.....Regardless, they're great stuff.

For the clear bra, you just treat it as you would your paint, since it has a clear coat on it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a new car, ZAIO would just be a waste.....Z-2 would be sufficient and maybe Z-5 for a darker color car for extra depth. Really Z-5 or 2 will be fine just which ever one you have. I dont think they actually have any abrasives but I think Z-5 just has more fillers. I technically dont see the Z-5 and 2 as a polish but more of a sealant even though they call it a polish even though it has no abrasives.....Regardless, they're great stuff.

For the clear bra, you just treat it as you would your paint, since it has a clear coat on it.
Thanks. I did use the Zaino car wash concentrate. Then, a light coat of Zaino AIO (even though the car is new, used it anyway)...then, a nice coat of A5 because it's a black car...helps take out any slight swirls or spidering...then, a coat of A6 for the shine....then, one more coat of A5...and last, one of their newer products, the Z8 Grand Finale as they refer to it...yes, this baby was smoooooooth to the touch...I also did the Z5 on the clearbra...this car is looking awesome...probably better than when the dealer prepped it. My neighbor's kid across the street has a VW Golf in black...you can look at his car and look at my CT and the deepness of the black on the Lexus is just so much more...it's blacker if that makes sense. I would highly recommend Zaino products....they can be expensive but you don't need to use a lot and the CT is such a small car that you'll get many uses out of it. Just make sure you get good soft towels to buff the stuff off with...I think it's the taking it off that makes it look great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks. I did use the Zaino car wash concentrate. Then, a light coat of Zaino AIO (even though the car is new, used it anyway)...then, a nice coat of A5 because it's a black car...helps take out any slight swirls or spidering...then, a coat of A6 for the shine....then, one more coat of A5...and last, one of their newer products, the Z8 Grand Finale as they refer to it...yes, this baby was smoooooooth to the touch...I also did the Z5 on the clearbra...this car is looking awesome...probably better than when the dealer prepped it. My neighbor's kid across the street has a VW Golf in black...you can look at his car and look at my CT and the deepness of the black on the Lexus is just so much more...it's blacker if that makes sense. I would highly recommend Zaino products....they can be expensive but you don't need to use a lot and the CT is such a small car that you'll get many uses out of it. Just make sure you get good soft towels to buff the stuff off with...I think it's the taking it off that makes it look great.

Im not sure if you have a bottle of Z-2 lying around, but try adding a layer of it as the last layer, before the Z-8 of course. Think of the Z-5 as adding depth to the shine and the Z-2 adding the wetness factor. I always finished with a layer of Z-2 even if its a few days later. Give it a shot if you haven't tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I've said it once Bondguy, I'll say it again. I love your Obsidian. Its bit cleaner than mine :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Zaino on Lexus "metallic" black. It's just plain sexy. I don't mind the work, it's therapeutic :)
I agree with your statement, but man its getting harder and harder for me to spend some quality time with my cars. Plus for a new car like the CT it would literally take me two days to do the initial application even with the flash cure, but Im also very anal about paint.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just one question for you, if i might? : How long does a "full on" "treatment" like this last on the car?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just one question for you, if i might? : How long does a "full on" "treatment" like this last on the car?
I don't know as I've never used it before. I have seen videos on Youtube comparing it to Meguiars and other brands and it always seems to hold up better. Remember, it's NOT a wax...just a polish. This is the stuff hardcore pro's use when they take their prized cars to auto shows. It's great because if you wash it next time, all you have to do is give it a quick once over with the Z6 gloss enhancer and it's back to beautiful shine all over again. I used to use a polish years ago called Liquid Glass...they had a pre-cleaner and a polish. It was great too but if you didn't put it on the way they said (in straight lines going a certain way, you would kind of slightly etch the finish). There appears to be NONE of that happening with the Zaino products. I had some slight buff marks either from the dealer or the guy's who trucked my car down (they told me it got real dirty so they had a guy at one of their dropoffs..an auto dealer...clean it for me...ARGH). Anyway, it's completely gone now. Getting back to your question...how long does it last...I'm going to say that they quote a few months but that all depends on your environment (temperature, sun, bird crap landing on it, near the ocean ((salt water)). I can say that I have used a lot of products over the years and this stuff is awesome...woke up this morning and in the bright sunlight, it's even more beautiful looking.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not sure if you have a bottle of Z-2 lying around, but try adding a layer of it as the last layer, before the Z-8 of course. Think of the Z-5 as adding depth to the shine and the Z-2 adding the wetness factor. I always finished with a layer of Z-2 even if its a few days later. Give it a shot if you haven't tried it yet.
Not sure if I need Z2...I have Z5 and it's supposed to be similar...both are for clearcoats but the Z5 is more geared towards "black or dark" colors...also, the Z5 has the slight swirl remover.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure if I need Z2...I have Z5 and it's supposed to be similar...both are for clearcoats but the Z5 is more geared towards "black or dark" colors...also, the Z5 has the slight swirl remover.
No you dont NEED Z-2, but for the extra pop or extra wet look its always best to finish with it. It finishes shinier or wetter than Z-5.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No you dont NEED Z-2, but for the extra pop or extra wet look its always best to finish with it. It finishes shinier or wetter than Z-5.
I will order a bottle based on your recommendation then...there is a local store that sells it here in Ft Lauderdale...some Corvette specialty store...otherwise, it's online only. So, you put on the Z2 last and then a quick spray of either Z6 or Z8, correct?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ooooh GREAT job. Definitely keep that black painted waxed. It will be worth it a a couples from now. Oooh-la-la!! ;-)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I emailed Sal with Zaino and ended up more confused than I started off. He said, per their recommendation, either Z-AIO or ZFX should be applied to all vehicles twice per year as a base. But then he says that ZFX has to be mixed with a polish and that using ZFX + polish isn't a replacement for a basecoat.

Sounds though like folks here though aren't recommending a Z-AIO basecoat before polish on new cars with paint in good shape. My CT is getting a 3M paint treatment along with the clear bra so it's warrantied against any paint damage for 4 years. I wonder how 3M's coating will effect the application of the polish. I can't imagine I'd get an understandable suggestion from Sal though... :(

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I emailed Sal with Zaino and ended up more confused than I started off. He said, per their recommendation, either Z-AIO or ZFX should be applied to all vehicles twice per year as a base. But then he says that ZFX has to be mixed with a polish and that using ZFX + polish isn't a replacement for a basecoat.

Sounds though like folks here though aren't recommending a Z-AIO basecoat before polish on new cars with paint in good shape. My CT is getting a 3M paint treatment along with the clear bra so it's warrantied against any paint damage for 4 years. I wonder how 3M's coating will effect the application of the polish. I can't imagine I'd get an understandable suggestion from Sal though... :(
My dealer tried selling me some paint protection crap too. I just figured I'd go with the clear-bra...as far as the Zaino products, I put the AIO on my car first and then because it's black, went with the Z5 (otherwise, would have used Z2). Zaino likes you to put their stuff on a car without previous waxes on the car. I wouldn't use the Zaino right now as you have just paid for the 3M stuff for the paint. See how that looks in a year or two. My dealer (finance guy) tried selling me ding protection, pre-paid services, tire protection and a bunch more stuff. I love the Zaino and do recommend it but now in your situation as your car is being professionally done by 3M.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts