Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I know this is a common issue. My question is that I bought this car from a used dealership at the beginning of March 2020. About a week or so after purchase it started to knock during start up. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the things I have seen on this forum but it is definitely starting. I don't know if it is a headgasket or if it is just sucking up oil from the intake on startup. Is there something I can do about this or am I just screwed now?

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H F Sport Ultrasonic Blue
11 Posts
Hi...I know this is a common issue. My question is that I bought this car from a used dealership at the beginning of March 2020. About a week or so after purchase it started to knock during start up. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the things I have seen on this forum but it is definitely starting. I don't know if it is a headgasket or if it is just sucking up oil from the intake on startup. Is there something I can do about this or am I just screwed now?
Did you figure this out and have an update?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you're not losing antifreeze then it's likely not a head gasket. You need to clean or replace the EGR cooler and remove the intake manifold to clean the little passages that receive air from the EGR cooler outlet and output air into each manifold runner. Also change the plugs. There's a sticky detailing this entire process on the site and linking to YouTube videos of it. It's somewhat time consuming but not terrible and relatively cheap. You also don't have to remove the wiper assembly, etc. (unlike a Prius) so don't worry about that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Knocking probably means your engine is about to blow up. If you cant return it then monitor the oil level daily. You will most likely see it is burning oil. These engines were not the best design from Toyota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installing an oil catch can between the pcv valve and the intake solved my issue, take in mind you get what you pay as far as catch can quality, I bought a Morimoto baffled catch can

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi...I know this is a common issue. My question is that I bought this car from a used dealership at the beginning of March 2020. About a week or so after purchase it started to knock during startup. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the things I have seen on this forum but it is definitely starting. I don't know if it is a head gasket or if it is just sucking up oil from the intake on startup. Is there something I can do about this or am I just screwed now?
Hi there,
I am not sure if I understood clearly when you described engine knocking during startup in your post, but this is what I have learned after owning my 2011 CT for the last 9 years. It has ~121k miles with original 12V and hybrid batteries, brake pads, and spark plugs getting an average of 48 MPG. Over time, I have realized that a startup engine knocking could occur (almost every time) at a cold start if the engine was not shut off properly from the previous run. In my case, a severe engine shaking along with a loud cranking-like noise for a short period of time (about 4-5 seconds) had happened when I turned off the engine while it was running for any reason (during the battery recharging stage or during the cold start warming-up stage). After experiencing that multiple times during the first few years of ownership, now I just simply wait for a few seconds until the engine stops running by itself before turning it off. For the last 4-5 years, it has never happened again. I am not quite sure what causes this, but it has something to do with the number cylinder when the engine kicks in for the initial warm-up I think.
Hopefully, this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts