Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has already been discussed on here but most of the detailed information I can find is about the Prius and not the CT. I have the Premium but non-nav CT so the only screen that I have is the small one on the right of the speedometer. I have been trying to get as many miles as possible and I have no problem cruising/maintaining speed where this screen shows arrows going from the battery to the wheel only (the green ev light comes on). From what I read this isn't true glide? Should glide show up on this screen as no power arrows at all? Hypermilers help!!! Any good links or videos on this that are specific to the CT?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I'm not a true "pulse & glider", but I think I do some of this given the mileage I've been getting. Pretty sure gliding is NOT when you're using the electric motor by itself to drive the wheels. Gliding is when you're not using any mechanical motor and the battery is likely being charged.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Reason for finding Prius info vs CT on P&G is due to Prius being out for 10 years.Ct Shares same engine/trans so the same info applies.

This site I feel explains it best. A true P&G is when your able to settle foot on pedal and show no arrows.It is very tricky,but does work.

Mike with a Prius: Prius-ing for Dummies - beginner Prius mileage tips

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think that you are much better off utilizing the Current Fuel Consumption gauge in the multi-information display area (the small one to the right of the speedometer) than you are using the Hybrid System Indicator. There are many times when I'm in the ECO area of the Hybrid System Indicator, but only getting about 40 MPG in the Current Fuel Consumption area. A slight feathering of the gas pedal can bump the Current Fuel Consumption amount up to 60 MPG, with the Hybrid System Indicator staying in the same spot.

BTW - Don't worry about having the non-Nav version. Those of us with the Nav System don't have anything extra to help with MPG on the Nav screen. We use the same displays in the instrument cluster that you are using.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think that you are much better off utilizing the Current Fuel Consumption gauge in the multi-information display area (the small one to the right of the speedometer) than you are using the Hybrid System Indicator. There are many times when I'm in the ECO area of the Hybrid System Indicator, but only getting about 40 MPG in the Current Fuel Consumption area. A slight feathering of the gas pedal can bump the Current Fuel Consumption amount up to 60 MPG, with the Hybrid System Indicator staying in the same spot.

BTW - Don't worry about having the non-Nav version. Those of us with the Nav System don't have anything extra to help with MPG on the Nav screen. We use the same displays in the instrument cluster that you are using.
That's not true. Nav system has a display function that shows what is being used and show your mpg by the minute

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's not true. Nav system has a display function that shows what is being used and show your mpg by the minute
Really? How do you get to that screen?

Edit - Nevermind. I just found that screen in the owner's manual. Do you really think that screen helps maximize fuel economy? It appears to me that it tells you what you already did, not what you are currently doing, as the Current Fuel Consumption gauge on the multi function display does.

I'll have to try playing with it on the way to work tomorrow (weather permitting).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find the best MPG comes from keeping the needle in the left-hand dial of the dash (the Hybrid System Indicator, or HSI) right on the line between Eco and Charge.

If you keep the charging-system graphic up (either on the flip-up nav screen or on the little screen in the lower-right-hand corner of the dash), you'll notice that that placement (inconsistently) coincides with the absence of arrows -- meaning you're neither charging nor discharging the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Interesting danrichman, I'll have to give that a look.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I find the best MPG comes from keeping the needle in the left-hand dial of the dash (the Hybrid System Indicator, or HSI) right on the line between Eco and Charge.

If you keep the charging-system graphic up (either on the flip-up nav screen or on the little screen in the lower-right-hand corner of the dash), you'll notice that that placement (inconsistently) coincides with the absence of arrows -- meaning you're neither charging nor discharging the battery.

That is the glide part.

Another good read for some.
http://prius3.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/tips-tricks-for-the-normal-driver-to-achieve-satisfying-fuel-efficiency-on-the-prius-gen-3/http://prius3.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks BigLefty, that last article is the best one I've seen. My daily driving habits are about as bad as they can be for FE. I make short trips with stops in between each morning and I don't think my CT even has a chance to warm up. I've been averaging pretty close to 40mpg(sometimes 38) under these conditions according to the computer. When I go on a longer trip on the weekends my FE comes way up. I've been trying to be really concious and the most I can gain on a daily basis is at best 2 to 3 mpg. It's just not worth it. It's time for me to enjoy the car, drive smoothly and barely look down at the instrument panel. I think at this point I can say I officially love the CT (what a car). I'm coming from an FJ cruiser that got 15 mpg under the best city conditions so I can't complain about FE in the 40mpg neighborhood. So far my CT if functioning as a luxury car, dog car, and surf mobile. It has excelled in all of these categories so far. Thanks for the help fellow CT'ers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts