Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received my CT on Sat. and have been trying to get it to glide. I read up on this and still cannot get it to do it successfully. I followed what Prius users mentioned thinking it must be similar. Still no luck.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I received my CT on Sat. and have been trying to get it to glide. I read up on this and still cannot get it to do it successfully. I followed what Prius users mentioned thinking it must be similar. Still no luck.. Any ideas?
There are lots of threads on the board talking about this - but to put it simply:
Pulse is getting up to speed, Glide is travelling without the engine running by taking your foot off the gas and coasting. That's it.
The more you can travel in 'EV' mode (the light comes on the dash), the better the gas mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. From what I am understanding the Glide is when you basically go into neutral. Basically no arrows are displayed so you are not charging nor pulling from the battery. It lets you coast much more effectively.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You don't need to go into neutral, at least not in my experience. The object of the game is just coasting. The pulse part is just getting up to enough speed so that you can coast without making other drivers too crazy. :p

I've had the EV light come on at 40 mph or so as I'm gliding -- and it actually feels kinda more like gliding than coasting. The engine seems to have been build with that in mind. It's pretty slick.

So I guess you're in neutral spiritually, so to speak, but I don't change gears or anything like that. I just take my foot off the gas. Good old coasting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think there are 2 different meanings of the word glide when it comes to pulse and glide. Add to the fact that all the online blogs and videos are for Prius' so and do have a different hybrid gauge/display. So, I am not saying I am 100% correct but this is my take on the differing meaning.
One is that you are coasting - meaning no arrows, no gas or electric and you will declelerate but at a slow rate due to low drag. This of course is the most desireable as you are not depleating your battery - which would eventually require braking and the internal combustion engine to fire up to charge the battery.
The other meaning is what I call driving in electric only mode, so press on the gas normally to get up to speed (under 42 mph) then ease off until the green "ev" light illuminates at the bottom left of the dash, then you can press on the gas lightly and stay in electric mode (the needle on the hybrid indicator is at the 9 o'clock position and the green ev light stays on- if it goes higher the gas engine turns on and the ev light goes out). You can maintain a speed up to 40mph for as long as your battery has power and/or you can keep the hybrid needle at the 9 o'clock position. If you encounter a hill or wind etc. and want to maintain the same speed, you will have to step on the gas a bit more to maintain that speed and the needle will go above 9 o'clock and the gas engine will turn on (and the green ev light will go out).

Again, that's my take on everyting I have found on the net and how I have interpreted it.

I drive in electic mode (my 2nd description) every time I can which is 80% of my daily commute (no freeways in my city) and I have been getting 48mpg's (4.9l/100) for 3 months now. I have tried to use the "no arrows" method but I find I decelerate too quickly for my liking and find that I use the gas engine to get up to speed again so I don't fare any better with mpg's.

Hope this helps and please anyone feel free to correct or advise me on these methods and getting even better mpgs.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Ms. Congeniality comes to mind...

[a taxi nearly runs Gracie over] Hey! I'm gliding here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Coubs. That is my understanding as well. I just could never get it to the no arrows point. But if you think it is more benefical to run in EV mode (which is exactly what I am doing as well) I'll stick with that. I have only gone 65 miles so far and am averaging 53 mpg! Thank you all for the replies!

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would think the no arrows is by far better - it is just hard to achive and when I do someone is bearing down on my rear bumper so not practical for me. I do get to do it at 6:30am on weekends when I go to my golfcourse but that is about the only time I get the roads to myself ;)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I would think the no arrows is by far better - it is just hard to achive and when I do someone is bearing down on my rear bumper so not practical for me. I do get to do it at 6:30am on weekends when I go to my golfcourse but that is about the only time I get the roads to myself ;)
Arrows flowing towards the battery isn't a bad thing though, no? I read some other threads on hyper-miling and the no arrows thing is just way too much work and you can never do unless you have ideal conditions IMO. Granted, the guy who gave his tips on hyper-miling his HS got over 70 MPG on a tank of gas and drive about 1,070 miles on one tank! :eek: Saw that over on Clublexus.com

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
@ Coubs. That is my understanding as well. I just could never get it to the no arrows point. But if you think it is more benefical to run in EV mode (which is exactly what I am doing as well) I'll stick with that. I have only gone 65 miles so far and am averaging 53 mpg! Thank you all for the replies!
Funny, I actually got 53 MPG (on the computer) on my ride home from the dealer as well. Not sure if you've read on here yet, but the computer is about 2 MPG higher than actual MPG's (if you did the math by hand at the pump).

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's pretty accurate. I was displaying 48.5mpg on the computer and did the math to find out I was getting right about 45.75mpg after getting some pre-hurricane fuel this morning.

On my drive to work today, I managed to get the computer to read an average of 65mpg over the course of a 10 mile drive today... all without causing traffic and pissing anyone off!

For me, I feel like the key is accelerating smoothly to get up to speed, then feathering the gas to drop into EV mode and maintaining that speed. Of course this is only good in the city when you're not exceeding speeds of ~45mph. In addition, it does mileage well to really pay attention and anticipate the flow of traffic. If you can maintain momentum by easing up off of the gas rather than braking and coming to a complete stop because of a red light or slowing vehicles, less gas is required to get moving again. These are the guidelines I'm following and I think I'm doing alright.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
That's pretty accurate. I was displaying 48.5mpg on the computer and did the math to find out I was getting right about 45.75mpg after getting some pre-hurricane fuel this morning.

On my drive to work today, I managed to get the computer to read an average of 65mpg over the course of a 10 mile drive today... all without causing traffic and pissing anyone off!

For me, I feel like the key is accelerating smoothly to get up to speed, then feathering the gas to drop into EV mode and maintaining that speed. Of course this is only good in the city when you're not exceeding speeds of ~45mph. In addition, it does mileage well to really pay attention and anticipate the flow of traffic. If you can maintain momentum by easing up off of the gas rather than braking and coming to a complete stop because of a red light or slowing vehicles, less gas is required to get moving again. These are the guidelines I'm following and I think I'm doing alright.
EXACTLY....isn't it awesome!? I've been able to get it up to 73 MPG over an 10-12 mile stretch on local roads using that same technique. You'll only get BETTER at it man. Glad you're finally in your car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm glad as well! I'm not missing my GTI at all to be completely honest. Driving in silence is pretty sweet. In addition, I see so many GTI's on the road now, it's nice to be in something that's still a rarity. MPG FTW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts