Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing the CT, I've read that a lot of people recommend getting some sort of protective film to protect the paint job in front of the car. How are people's experiences w/ this? Anyone do it on the CT? estimate cost for installation? recommended brand? any recommended near the NYC/long island area? Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Around $700 from the guy who does all my cars. He is in kenilworth, nj. He uses Xpel. It will be hood, bumper, side mirrors, headlights and fogs.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you can get it at a comparable price from the Lexus dealer take it. The Lexus warranty applies. The front end of the CT200 is very curvy and seems to make it very hard to stick. They will repair it for the length of the Lexus warranty and it has been my experience that most independent shops don't hang around all that long.

I had a bad experience with my 2004 Thunderbird when the 3M film started clouding and eventually crazing. The warranty had expired and it ended up costing me more to remove than it had to install. I would have liked to have Lexus backing it up.

But it is a personal choice. I would certainly get it. It has already saved me a couple of chips and lots of bug stains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll ask a dealer near me and see if they do it. If not, can I get the name of the one in kenilworth? It's not too far from the places I go in jersey. How long should I expect this stuff to last? Does it change the look of the car significantly? Sorry for all the questions, I've never personally seen it and just want to protect my investment. Thanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'll ask a dealer near me and see if they do it. If not, can I get the name of the one in kenilworth? It's not too far from the places I go in jersey. How long should I expect this stuff to last? Does it change the look of the car significantly? Sorry for all the questions, I've never personally seen it and just want to protect my investment. Thanks!
How long depends on how much exposure to bad things it gets. I know they say at least 4 or 5 years and there is a warranty on most of the products of four years (as I remember it), but I got the front end of my 2004 TBird done because I wanted to keep the car forever (and I still have it), but my garage is a disaster zone so it is outside in the hot Florida sun all the time except when I drove it to my office and it got to park in a garage. After about 4.5 years (yeah, after the warranty expired), I noticed it had started yellowing a little but I neglected to do anything about it and by the time I took it back to the people who had installed it they said 1) the warranty had expired and 2) the company they bought the film from had gone out of business so they could sell me a new job and charge me to remove the old stuff. I got annoyed and left. Eventually, I went to another reputable company in the area that does work for a body shop I know well and they proceeded to remove the old film. It took them 3 days with a heat gun and tweezers since it was not only crazed and yellowed but quite brittle. As you can imagine, that resulted in some light scratches which are still there.

Short version: Stay on top of it and whatever you do, apply "wax" from the coated surface TO the painted surface so the polish or wax residue doesn't build up and cause the line to show more than usual. I do not find the line to be visually distracting on a light colored car, but I have never had a dark colored car to compare. I bet most people will never notice it, since you know it is there you will notice it a lot at first but after a while, you won't. When you notice any discoloration or unsticking at the edges have it dealt with.

I find it very useful and it has saved me several paint chips. Otherwise I wouldn't have ordered it after my ordeal, but this time I want to have Toyota standing behind the job and I will be much more picky about the condition of the film. It didn't come with my car from the port, but my selling dealer added it for the same price as the port price, which I thought was a bargain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The longest I've owned any car with the clear bra is between two to three years. Haven't seen any yellowing or brittleness. But, then again, I avoid parking where the car is always directly under the sun. The dealership I bought the car from charges $995 + tax. PM me if you need the Kenilworth guy's contact info.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi jettie1767.
I'm confused, maybe....

The dealership I bought the car from charges $995 + tax.
Lexus' website lists the clear protective film at $429 (bumper, hood, side mirrors and fenders) -- which, if you read the fine print may or may not include the installation fee and can vary in price by dealer. However, it is still less expensive than $995 + tax --- and (I believe from what I've read on this forum) Lexus will stand behind their clear protective file for the life of your warranty.

Is this "other product" twice as good as what Lexus has developed and approved for the CT? Is the warranty equal to or better than what Lexus is providing?

Please don't misunderstand my point, I'm just trying to understand. If there are products out there that are better than what Lexus if offering, than this is the place to find out, but I would still find it hard to part with another $450 for something that Lexus already provides at their price + warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here in Canada, I had it put on for 400$ It included 3M bumper, hood, mirors, and fenders + tint at side and rear windows.
This dealer is a sub for car dealerships in the aria. Hence the good price. Had it for 2 months now and I am very satisfied. The garantie is for the lenth of ownership.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How much is the hourly rate of your dealer? You have to factor that in. But I trust my guy. He has done several cars for me and I find his price fair.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi jettie1767.
I'm confused, maybe....

Lexus' website lists the clear protective film at $429 (bumper, hood, side mirrors and fenders) -- which, if you read the fine print may or may not include the installation fee and can vary in price by dealer. However, it is still less expensive than $995 + tax --- and (I believe from what I've read on this forum) Lexus will stand behind their clear protective file for the life of your warranty.

Is this "other product" twice as good as what Lexus has developed and approved for the CT? Is the warranty equal to or better than what Lexus is providing?

Please don't misunderstand my point, I'm just trying to understand. If there are products out there that are better than what Lexus if offering, than this is the place to find out, but I would still find it hard to part with another $450 for something that Lexus already provides at their price + warranty.
Yeah, that fooled me for a while too. That $429 price is only for port installed film. The dealer can charge whatever he wants to charge and while mine was willing to do it for about the same price, I would have paid a little more just to have it done there. I bet most dealers will charge whatever the market will bear, which means try to negotiate this when you are buying, which is what I did. I ended up paying $399.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Venture Shield installed on the entire front of my car (Bumper, Entire Hood, Full Front Fenders, Mirrors, Headlights, Fog Lights, etc) and paid quite a bit (close to $1000) though again it came from a highly reccomended shop that I've used before for window tint. I also assume prices are a little higher in Canada for this. The shop and 3m provide a lifetime warranty, had my windows tinted at the same time but did take them a day and a half, though the job is flawless on both the paint film and the glass. My dealership actually didn't even offer the paint-film, but did reccomend a shop (different from the shop I used).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts