Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Procedure for replacing your own springs

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  shadow1 
#1 ·
[h=2][/h]
I do most of my own car repairs and have replaced springs and struts before. I own a spring compressor. I plan to replace my F-Sport springs with regular springs as I now carry 3 passengers most of the time to use the carpool lanes and the car is bottoming out too much. You can hear rubbing in the rear on turns. I plan to keep the F-Sport sway bars. I plan to replace the rear springs first, drive that way a few weeks and think about doing the fronts.

My questions are for those who have replaced their own springs. The official repair manual on CD, when replacing the front springs, calls for removing the wiper motor assembly etc, apparently to get access to the upper strut bolts. Did anyone do that when removing their front struts or are there steps you can skip? Manufacturers often call for procedures that are unneccesarily complicated. Thanks.

I also noticed that on the rear springs the manual says to replace the sway bar linkage, something I have never done during this procedure, especially on a 2 year old car. It also makes a big deal out of leveling the rear suspension arm before tightening. Did you just eyeball it or use a level?​

#2 ·
You do not need to remove the wiper motors. You need to remove the wiper arms to pull the cowl plastics off. The rear springs were literally plug and play. Unbolt to drop the arms (unbolting the end links is no big deal) and remove the springs. I would not replace just the rears. You will unbalance the handling and potentially cause unstable cornering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.