Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to demonstrate to my coworker yesterday how the headlight cleaner works and to my surprise it did not work. I pressed the button and nothing happened... will definitely have this checked out at the dealer when I go in for the 1000 miles inspection.

Anyone else has/had this issue?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought; were your headlights turned on? They may need to be on in order to activate the headlight washers.
They were OFF. Doesn't seem to make sense that you can only use them at night? Shouldn't you be able to clean them any time?

Would try but I just washed the car yesterday... can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Owners manual page 215:
The headlight cleaners can be operated when
The “POWER” switch is in ON mode and the headlight switch is turned on.

:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Owners manual page 215:
The headlight cleaners can be operated when
The “POWER” switch is in ON mode and the headlight switch is turned on.

:)
Thanks for that. I wonder why Lexus wants the headlights to be on to operate the cleaners, does not make sense to me :confused:.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Why would you need them if the lights were not on? :confused:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Why would you need them if the lights were not on? :confused:
the reason is simple...they are not headlight cleaners from what I was told...the reason they are there is because the LED headlamps generate no heat, in colder climates, they are there to help when the lights are iced up. Otherwise, if they were cleaners, they would be on all CT's regardless of headlights. With the regular lowbeams (not LED) they generate a lot of heat.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
No real need for HL cleaners in the US (either high pressure water or mini wipers)

Below is an excerpt for European requirements that apply to HID (Xenon) lights, I don't know if this requirement now includes LED lighting ????

Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users. In North America, ECE R48 does not apply and while lens cleaners and beam levellers are permitted, they are not required;

I know the Audi's I've owned here in the US, which had Xenon lights all had high pressure water cleaning and self leveling systems, maybe to standardize production options even though US regulations don't require them.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Well, the headlight cleaners have always been an added accessory, I don't know any Lexuses that have it standard, except maybe the LS, but for the most part it's always been a part of the cold weather package for other Lexus vehicles.

Bondguy, I had never thought of it that way. Was that how Lexus actually intended it or was this just coincidence?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well, the headlight cleaners have always been an added accessory, I don't know any Lexuses that have it standard, except maybe the LS, but for the most part it's always been a part of the cold weather package for other Lexus vehicles.

Bondguy, I had never thought of it that way. Was that how Lexus actually intended it or was this just coincidence?
I think it may have just happened that way...because while the HID lights had it, they generate some heat....and, the LED lights are pretty new technology in headlamps. Besides, for $1,200 headlights, it's nice they include anything else with it (washers).

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I have the LED lowbeams with the HL cleaner. Came with the package so probably what your saying about it coming LEDs cause of cold temperature (I live in Canada), but I do know they will be very handy in the winter with cleaning off the winter grime that gets on the front of the car while driving. Used to always have to clean off the headlights with kleenex everytime I got into car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts