Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right when I was about to buy small usb flash drive from the other thread, my cousin showed me what he was using for his IS350.

elago Mobile Nano II MicroSD USB Reader
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...32820-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

This thing is tiny and much cheaper! It works better for me because I have several MicroSD's laying around and it allows me to change them out like 1 MicroSD for R&B and 1 MicroSD for Rap etc etc.

I highly doubt I will use many MicroSD but having the option is nice since they can just sit inside next to the USB and close the cover so don't they bounce out. But I'll probably just use my 16gb I have and call it for the day lol :D

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Wow, that is awesome! BTW - link doesn't work, but easy to find on Amazon regardless.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought "Smallest T-Flash Micro SD SDHC Card USB Reader Writer" on eBay it was $US $7.99 FREE shipping. It works fantastic, no complaints!

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I read that those Lacie Moskeyto drives die after 2 weeks so I would be careful with that.

Either way I'm only gonna keep the USB stick as a backup since I cant go any higher quality than 320kbps MP3 with them :(
They have a 2 yr limited warranty.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dont forget that you need a micro SD too, its just the reader that cost 7-8$, so if you dont have a card laying around you will have to add that cost.
But your right, its cheap!
yep I have like 5 micro SDs laying around the house from 4 to 16 GB so it's no biggie.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Presumably there's very little to go wrong in that eLago reader (as opposed to the LaCie which appears to have poor reliability) so if it fails it's just a case of replacing the SD card?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Presumably there's very little to go wrong in that eLago reader (as opposed to the LaCie which appears to have poor reliability) so if it fails it's just a case of replacing the SD card?
Probably, unless for some reason the metal contacts go/get worn in the eLago, not sure how that would happen though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've read Amazon customer reviews on both. The LaCie lasts about 2 months before it fails, the eLago seems to last about 6 months. In both cases, it appears to be a problem with the tiny adapter electronics. They're just too tiny!? The SD cards seem to be pretty robust, they are not the culprit when either of these devices fail (so far as I can tell from the reviews!). I've just ordered a Lexar Echo ZX 32GB from Amazon. It has no such complaints about failures, but it is expensive and relatively new. As such, there are much fewer reviews for it. The previous version of it, however, has quite a few reviews and no complaints about it failing. I haven't received it yet, but it looks promising!

Here's the link, if you'd like to take a look.

Amazon.com: Lexar Echo ZX 32 GB USB 2.0 Backup Drive LEHZX32GBSBNA: Electronics

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've read Amazon customer reviews on both. The LaCie lasts about 2 months before it fails, the eLago seems to last about 6 months. In both cases, it appears to be a problem with the tiny adapter electronics. They're just too tiny!? The SD cards seem to be pretty robust, they are not the culprit when either of these devices fail (so far as I can tell from the reviews!). I've just ordered a Lexar Echo ZX 32GB from Amazon. It has no such complaints about failures, but it is expensive and relatively new. As such, there are much fewer reviews for it. The previous version of it, however, has quite a few reviews and no complaints about it failing. I haven't received it yet, but it looks promising!

Here's the link, if you'd like to take a look.

Amazon.com: Lexar Echo ZX 32 GB USB 2.0 Backup Drive LEHZX32GBSBNA: Electronics
Wow, 32gb for $60? SOLD! =]

Heck, if it's not big enough I'll pick up another to swap out different types of music.

Man I'm loving the price of flash memory in 2011, I've been installing SSDs for a ton of my clients.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow, 32gb for $60? SOLD! =]

Heck, if it's not big enough I'll pick up another to swap out different types of music.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the disadvantage of dumping everything onto one flash drive is that it will not allow you to differentiate between the types of music you have on it.

By this, I mean you could create a folder called "Rap" and one called "RnB" and put the music into the correct folder. The car will ignore these folders and put all the albums into one long list regardless of the directory structure.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the disadvantage of dumping everything onto one flash drive is that it will not allow you to differentiate between the types of music you have on it.

By this, I mean you could create a folder called "Rap" and one called "RnB" and put the music into the correct folder. The car will ignore these folders and put all the albums into one long list regardless of the directory structure.

Am I missing something?
I've done some usb format tests and the music will be grouped in the album list by the genre folders; but yes, the folders are not displayed. :( You must also write the files to the usb in the order you want them to play. There is no way to sort them in the car. This applies to folders also, they must be created on the usb in the order you want them to play. I haven't found a way around this! :confused: By moving songs or albums around between folders, you have SOME post usb-creation control over order, but it's cumbersome. To get a song or album right where you want it, you have to delete and re-add everything you want to follow it in that folder! (If anybody knows how to sort playback order in the car, please let me know. It would make life SO much easier!) :D

I have a hunch about getting the genre folders to display. I haven't tried it because I'm OK with them being hidden, but give this a try! Put at least one mp3 DIRECTLY into EACH genre folder! I believe that this will display them in a list. The added mp3's will appear in the album folder lists (I think :rolleyes:). Make sure that the added mp3's are real (the system might lock up when it tries to play them otherwise! :eek:) It's a waste of space, but the only way I can think of to display the genre folders. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post and the following is what I use. The top red LED light can also be used to push out the MicroSD card.

And as I know, the playback order is decided by the date of the file you draw into the USB. So my stupid way is to change the date of the computer if I want to insert some files.

·
Registered
180 Posts
And as I know, the playback order is decided by the date of the file you draw into the USB. So my stupid way is to change the date of the computer if I want to insert some files.
Unfortunately, I've tested this and the files play in written to the usb order (at least in my tests). The time/date stamps did not play chronologically! :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.