Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who supplies the premium audio unit and speakers? And how many watts it has (not that it matters, but...).

·
Registered
13 Posts
The entire system is Harman International / Mark Levinson as far as I know.

Pioneer makes speakers in some other Lexus vehicles, but I believe the bamboo resin eco speakers were manufactured by Mark Levinson along with the head unit. The amplifier I am not sure on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If I remember correctly, the amplifiers are class D digital; smaller and lighter than lower class amps with the same power output.

Sound and Vision magazine's Oct. '11 issue had a small feature on car audio that included a section on the CT's audio system (mostly due to the bamboo speaker materials) and said that the standard 6 speaker system is 100W and the premium 10 speaker system is 250W. They thought that the standard system sounded "decent", but didn't think that the premium system delivered $1125 worth of sound quality improvement. Their final assessment was that "most casual listeners" will be pleased with the premium system's performance; but audiophiles, not necessarily! They didn't identify the manufacturer.

Sound and Vision didn't seem to take into account the additional features that are also part of the premium audio package when determining the "worth" of the audio system's additional cost. Namely the 6 disc CD changer, auto-dimming rear view mirror and, probably the most expensive additional part of the package, the homelink universal transceiver. Also, on my window sticker, the package is listed at $1100. Not that this is a significant difference in price, but it is wrong; maybe an indication that Sound and Vision didn't take the time to get all the facts straight and (possibly) just wasn't interested in the "complete" picture when making their assessment of the premium system's value. They just made a simplistic, seemingly "snap" judgment without considering all the pertinent factors.

Having said this, I don't disagree with their final determination of the system's performance. In the end, however, just how good does a car system have to be? It isn't exactly an optimal listening environment. It does the job with enough power, no distortion and reasonably "full" sound quality. I have no complaints! :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have premium sound and would rate it a 6 out of 10 from other premium sound car radios I've listend to. The highs are not bright and crisp -- mid-range is OK and the bass is a little too booming for my taste so I don't turn up the bass. I sure wish the CT came with 5.1 DVD audio with 6 channels like my Acura. But that's just me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Test drove base and premium... night and day difference in overall sound quality, partially swayed me to order the F-Sport.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does anyone know who supplies the premium audio unit and speakers? And how many watts it has (not that it matters, but...).
The others are correct. Harmon Kardon/Mark Levinson soundsystem, class D amplifier, 250 watts sounds about right.

I just finished my vehicle/soundsystem upgrade about 2 weeks ago, here's how it went. (Starfire Pearl 2011 premium w/Nav/Premium audio).

I come from a very extensive audiophile background, both home audio and car audio. Even back in the late 80s, when I was driving a well used '79 Toyota Celica GT, I had a wonderful soundsystem.

At that time I went with an Alpine 7909 in-dash CD ($1200), Soundstream D100 & D200 Mk II amps, KEF fronts, (4) AVI 8" subwoofers in a sealed enclosure, etc. The soundsystem was worth far more than the vehicle. ;]

Later I moved up to a '93 RX-7 Twin Turbo, Xtant amps, Soundstream 12" sub, 3-ways up front.

At home I currently run a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 pre-amp, Rotel 1077 class D 7x100 digital amp, Klipsch reference speakers (oldies but goodies!)

Ok, now on to the CT200h. I'd hoped to pull my soundsystem from my previous vehicle intact and just migrate it over to the CT200h. It was a Zapco 5000.1 7-channel amp, CDT audio 3-ways, and a JL audio 10w6v2 subwoofer in a ported enclosure.

Simple, effective, all SQ system.

My car audio shop, very high end, whom I've used for about 20 years now, said I wouldn't be satisfied with the SQ coming out of the head unit and then going into the Zapco and my speakers.

The problem is, the head unit does some sort of equalization, the amp has some built in, it's all made to work well with these mystery bamboo speakers.

We could do a high-to-low conversion on the highs, high-to-low on the mids, high-to-low on the mid-bass, and high-to-low on the sub, run it through a JL Audio Cleansweep and then feed that to the Zapco, but they said I would likely be disappointed in the SQ due to equalization already built into the various parts of the system.

It was either replace the factory sub with a real sub (and junk my Zapco), or rip out the head unit and replace it with a 'real' one. (Expensive, time consuming, but fantastic SQ at the end).

They recommended we try just the sub first, and if it wasn't good enough SQ, then they'd do the whole system however I wanted.

In the previous vehicle I used a larger ported enclosure, but this time we went with a box about 1cu-ft, sealed, with HEAVY bracing internally. The Zapco 7 channel wasn't appropriate, so we used an Arc Audio 500.1 single channel class-D subwoofer instead.

Here's the weird part, the woofer is mounted DIRECTLY behind the driver's seat and also serves as a great seat massager. ;] This vehicle is a work vehicle, we do on-site computer repair and drive about 30,000 miles per year per vehicle. I had the shop remove the rear seats and install a custom cargo box in it's place, along with a nice sliding tray system in the rear. This leaves me a very organized way to carry every type of RAM, every type of hard drive/SSDs, power supplies, cables, connectors, a new Dell desktop, a new laptop, and a new 22" monitor, all with plenty of space to spare for the woofer, and it's all locked and sealed away from thieves pretty darned effectively. Without the remote it will be very time consuming to gear at the gear.

So, how did it sound? In a word, FANTASTIC. Much, MUCH better than I was expecting. It's not as good as a pure audiophile system with a very high end head unit, high end amp, and high end speakers, but it's just a notch down from that.

With the sealed enclosure for the 10" and a serious excess of power, along with it being parked right up my bum, the bass is absolutely amazingly taut, accurate, perfect. It's the best bass (for SQ) that I've heard outside of the home.

The surprising part is the rest of the 'Premium Audio' system is actually very, very decent. I feel like there's just a bit of a hole in the deep mid-bass range, but I might be able to dial that out with some work.

Of course the amp comes with a remote control mounted by my left knee that allows me to dial the bass up or down as appropriate for the source material and volume.

I am very, VERY satisfied with the result, and don't feel any need to improve beyond this point. There is a bit of distortion from the highs/mids at VERY HIGH VOLUME LEVELS, but honestly I don't listen at those levels.

So, that's the deal with the Premium Audio system. Replace the stock woofer with a quality woofer and amp, and you might be just as happy. Of course I don't expect others to be able to locate the woofer where I was able to, and I don't expect folks will want to lose any space from the already small trunk, but my situation is a bit different than most.

Please feel free to ask any questions, I'll probably post photos later, but the color scheme is black on black on black, and rather difficult to photograph. ;] (Windows are tinted at 5%, which also makes it hard to see in).

P.S. My apologies to my in-laws who are staying with us from India for 3 months, they loved riding in the CT200h, but no more back seats for them! =]

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Very Nice Job!

The others are correct. Harmon Kardon/Mark Levinson soundsystem, class D amplifier, 250 watts sounds about right.

I just finished my vehicle/soundsystem upgrade about 2 weeks ago, here's how it went. (Starfire Pearl 2011 premium w/Nav/Premium audio).

I come from a very extensive audiophile background, both home audio and car audio. Even back in the late 80s, when I was driving a well used '79 Toyota Celica GT, I had a wonderful soundsystem.

At that time I went with an Alpine 7909 in-dash CD ($1200), Soundstream D100 & D200 Mk II amps, KEF fronts, (4) AVI 8" subwoofers in a sealed enclosure, etc. The soundsystem was worth far more than the vehicle. ;]

Later I moved up to a '93 RX-7 Twin Turbo, Xtant amps, Soundstream 12" sub, 3-ways up front.

At home I currently run a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 pre-amp, Rotel 1077 class D 7x100 digital amp, Klipsch reference speakers (oldies but goodies!)

Ok, now on to the CT200h. I'd hoped to pull my soundsystem from my previous vehicle intact and just migrate it over to the CT200h. It was a Zapco 5000.1 7-channel amp, CDT audio 3-ways, and a JL audio 10w6v2 subwoofer in a ported enclosure.

Simple, effective, all SQ system.

My car audio shop, very high end, whom I've used for about 20 years now, said I wouldn't be satisfied with the SQ coming out of the head unit and then going into the Zapco and my speakers.

The problem is, the head unit does some sort of equalization, the amp has some built in, it's all made to work well with these mystery bamboo speakers.

We could do a high-to-low conversion on the highs, high-to-low on the mids, high-to-low on the mid-bass, and high-to-low on the sub, run it through a JL Audio Cleansweep and then feed that to the Zapco, but they said I would likely be disappointed in the SQ due to equalization already built into the various parts of the system.

It was either replace the factory sub with a real sub (and junk my Zapco), or rip out the head unit and replace it with a 'real' one. (Expensive, time consuming, but fantastic SQ at the end).

They recommended we try just the sub first, and if it wasn't good enough SQ, then they'd do the whole system however I wanted.

In the previous vehicle I used a larger ported enclosure, but this time we went with a box about 1cu-ft, sealed, with HEAVY bracing internally. The Zapco 7 channel wasn't appropriate, so we used an Arc Audio 500.1 single channel class-D subwoofer instead.

Here's the weird part, the woofer is mounted DIRECTLY behind the driver's seat and also serves as a great seat massager. ;] This vehicle is a work vehicle, we do on-site computer repair and drive about 30,000 miles per year per vehicle. I had the shop remove the rear seats and install a custom cargo box in it's place, along with a nice sliding tray system in the rear. This leaves me a very organized way to carry every type of RAM, every type of hard drive/SSDs, power supplies, cables, connectors, a new Dell desktop, a new laptop, and a new 22" monitor, all with plenty of space to spare for the woofer, and it's all locked and sealed away from thieves pretty darned effectively. Without the remote it will be very time consuming to gear at the gear.

So, how did it sound? In a word, FANTASTIC. Much, MUCH better than I was expecting. It's not as good as a pure audiophile system with a very high end head unit, high end amp, and high end speakers, but it's just a notch down from that.

With the sealed enclosure for the 10" and a serious excess of power, along with it being parked right up my bum, the bass is absolutely amazingly taut, accurate, perfect. It's the best bass (for SQ) that I've heard outside of the home.

The surprising part is the rest of the 'Premium Audio' system is actually very, very decent. I feel like there's just a bit of a hole in the deep mid-bass range, but I might be able to dial that out with some work.

Of course the amp comes with a remote control mounted by my left knee that allows me to dial the bass up or down as appropriate for the source material and volume.

I am very, VERY satisfied with the result, and don't feel any need to improve beyond this point. There is a bit of distortion from the highs/mids at VERY HIGH VOLUME LEVELS, but honestly I don't listen at those levels.

So, that's the deal with the Premium Audio system. Replace the stock woofer with a quality woofer and amp, and you might be just as happy. Of course I don't expect others to be able to locate the woofer where I was able to, and I don't expect folks will want to lose any space from the already small trunk, but my situation is a bit different than most.

Please feel free to ask any questions, I'll probably post photos later, but the color scheme is black on black on black, and rather difficult to photograph. ;] (Windows are tinted at 5%, which also makes it hard to see in).

P.S. My apologies to my in-laws who are staying with us from India for 3 months, they loved riding in the CT200h, but no more back seats for them! =]
Dozer42 - Very Nice Job :cool: - I too appreciate good music/video , my home system Def Tech 7002s, C/L/R 3000, SVS PB 12Plus, Marantz SR8002, Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD.

What did it cost you to upgrade you CT200h audio system: parts and installation/labor ?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I have premium sound and would rate it a 6 out of 10 from other premium sound car radios I've listend to. The highs are not bright and crisp -- mid-range is OK and the bass is a little too booming for my taste so I don't turn up the bass. I sure wish the CT came with 5.1 DVD audio with 6 channels like my Acura. But that's just me.
Don,

I tend to agree with your CT200h car audio system assessment; car systems can't do justice to home systems and I love great sound and video. What is your home system? mine is Defintive Technology 7002s, C/L/R 3000, SVS PB12 Plus, Marantz SR8002, Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD, plus 4 Def Tech UIW BP surrounds.

MidCow3

·
Registered
205 Posts
Roflmao , I'm sorry but some of this is funny. We all have different ears and taste on sound. Boomy is not how is describe the ct sound.

The JL subs are some of the most booming subs on the market .especially in a ported box

·
Registered
239 Posts
What did it cost you to upgrade you CT200h audio system: parts and installation/labor ?
Well, the audio portion wasn't broken out specifically. I would guess about $400 for the amp, $200 for the woofer, $200 for the box/install, maybe a bit more.

But it should be fairly easy to do a much lower cost version.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to see some fellow audiophiles chiming in on the CT premium system.

Coming from a highly tuned custom system in my last car that I worked years on to perfect, I really notice the shortcomings of the CT's system. It's not horrible as far as factory systems go, I just feel like it needs a little help.

Dozer: would love to see some pics of your sub enclosure with placement and that custom storage system you mentioned.

I feel the mids in the door have a nice little punch to them, but they seriously lack low end range.

I wish we could get a hold of the frequency responses and wattage distribution on all the bamboo speakers and really round out this "stats" thread.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yep, will have some pictures as soon as the weather clears up here in the SF Bay Area, it's been a bit nasty over the past week. Didn't think anyone would be interested in all the custom stuff, as it wouldn't be applicable to other CT200hs!

Yeah, that's where my ears feel a hole. There seems to be a lack in the lower mid-bass range. I'm thinking we can kick up the 'bass' section in the built in EQ, which would actually be in the deep mid-bass range with the stock subwoofer, then I can just dial down the new subwoofer to align with the boost.

If that doesn't work then maybe we'll have to look for some band-aids somewhere in there. Might be worth running through a full spectrum analysis, but honestly I trust my ears more than meters as the meters won't be driving the car every day and listening to the system. =]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to dig this old post up, but I saw there wasn't a more detailed answer to the OP's question.

The 10-speaker premium sound system specs (for 2011 and 2012, at least) are as follows:
1x 22W 9.0cm Center Squawker (on dash)
2x 22W 9.0cm Side Squawker (on dash)
2x 2W 2.5cm Tweeter (on front pillars)
2x 15W 16 x 23 cm Woofer (on front doors)
2x 22W 16cm Full Range (on rear doors)
1x 40W 20cm Sub Woofer (in luggage area)

The 10-speaker system uses a head unit from Pioneer and an amplifier from Panasonic. Only the 13-speaker ML system (available only in Europe?) uses a Pioneer head unit and a ML amplifier.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to dig this old post up, but I saw there wasn't a more detailed answer to the OP's question.

The 10-speaker premium sound system specs (for 2011 and 2012, at least) are as follows:
1x 22W 9.0cm Center Squawker (on dash)
2x 22W 9.0cm Side Squawker (on dash)
2x 2W 2.5cm Tweeter (on front pillars)
2x 15W 16 x 23 cm Woofer (on front doors)
2x 22W 16cm Full Range (on rear doors)
1x 40W 20cm Sub Woofer (in luggage area)

The 10-speaker system uses a head unit from Pioneer and an amplifier from Panasonic. Only the 13-speaker ML system (available only in Europe?) uses a Pioneer head unit and a ML amplifier.
Do you know what ohm load the sub is by any chance?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you know what ohm load the sub is by any chance?

Sure, here it is for all of the speakers (10 speaker system):
1x / 22W / 4Ω / 9.0cm Center Squawker (on dash)
2x / 22W / 4Ω / 9.0cm Side Squawker (on dash)
2x / 2W / 4Ω / 2.5cm Tweeter (on front pillars)
2x / 15W / 6Ω / 16 x 23 cm Woofer (on front doors)
2x / 22W / 4Ω / 16cm Full Range (on rear doors)
1x / 40W / 2Ω / 20cm Sub Woofer (in luggage area)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sure, here it is for all of the speakers (10 speaker system):
1x / 22W / 4Ω / 9.0cm Center Squawker (on dash)
2x / 22W / 4Ω / 9.0cm Side Squawker (on dash)
2x / 2W / 4Ω / 2.5cm Tweeter (on front pillars)
2x / 15W / 6Ω / 16 x 23 cm Woofer (on front doors)
2x / 22W / 4Ω / 16cm Full Range (on rear doors)
1x / 40W / 2Ω / 20cm Sub Woofer (in luggage area)
Wow, I would have never guessed the sub would be 2 ohm or the front door speakers would be 6 ohm. Thank you.

Do you know if the amp has everything crossed over or will I need passive crossovers for all of the speakers? I'm planning on going with a component system for the front (6 1/2" in the doors, tweets in the pillars). If the amp is actually 10 channels I will need to pick up some in-line cross-overs since I won't be able to use the single crossover that is supplied with most component sets. Also, I'll need to pick up some bass blockers for the three 3 1/2" speakers in the dash if the amp doesn't already block the low frequencies from going to them. None of this is a big deal, just nice to know so I can place one order for everything.

Once again, thank you for all of the information.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
You need to replace the front three speakers also to maintain timbre.The OEM premium speakers are very low quality. My rating is went from 6 out of 10 to 9.5 out of 10

·
Registered
64 Posts
You need to replace the front three speakers also to maintain timbre.The OEM premium speakers are very low quality. My rating is went from 6 out of 10 to 9.5 out of 10
Not sure if this was directed towards me but I plan to replace all of them, including the three 3 1/2's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts