Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I've had the CT in mind for awhile but now I'm in the market for a used car that gets good fuel economy. I like the CT and consider it to be one of the best looking cars made today, and of course lexus builds a quality car. My concerns are this.

1). Cargo space. While not a daily issue my family needs to take trips every couple months for my sons medical issue and we load up the car with 4-5 duffle bags and 4 people. With the seats up, how is this cargo space in real world use? I have seen the cubic ft is listed at 14.3? Or so but that's hard for me to picture. Any of you that have used this for a family road trip, how was the cargo room? I would expect it to be snug but is it even a workable scenario? I can't find dimensions of the cargo area length/width/height but I know it's out there somewhere!

2). Hills. I live in an area with hills, some that are rather substantial. All would be at 45-65 mph. I don't expect a rocket but am I going to have to turn off the AC and get a running start just to make it to the top? I currently do that in my old Honda and I have to get to 85 only to struggle to maintain 60 by the top of the hill all the while redlining. Lol. It's paid for so that's why I keep it. :).

The prices on used CT's are good from what I can see and I've heard you can buy an extended warranty from Lexus which is of interest to me.

Thanks for for any feedback you can provide to help me shorten my short list of cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IN my opinion you may struggle in eco mode and need a nice running start but if you switched to normal or sport mode you should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cargo space is in my opinion, very decent for a small car. I can fit 6-8 grocery bags in the back with the seats up. I suppose it would depend on the the size of your duffle bags, but I'd think 4 would fit stacked on each other.

But it is a small car - for your trips, are you going a long distance with 4 full size adults? That's going to be tight in the back seat - those two adults better be very friendly because their shoulders and knees are going to touch. If it's 3 adults (so one kid and one adult in the back) it'd be better.

The car has plenty of power for general driving - I don't even need to be out of Eco mode to go from 0 to 60 on a normal highway on-ramp. But I don't live in a very hilly area so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm not sure why people think that putting to car in normal or power mode will give more power. At full throttle all modes are 100% identical so using power mode to go uphill isn't helping you at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
The CT200h should work fine (1) there is quite a bit of storage with all seats up and I have travelled comfortably with 4 good size adults. (2) Unlike some other cars the CT200h has an electric motor in addition to the normal gasoline motor. The electric motor can provide an instantaneous 60kW of power at 153 ft-lbs of torque. I have drive the CT200h in the Colorado Rockies with no power problems, And the mode normal, eco , or sport doesn't matter if you give it full acceleration (pedal to the floor). in any mode you get all 650 volts. The sport and normal are set to be more responsive in regulating the throttle. However in flat out acceleration tests all modes are equal. Having said that good "experienced" drivers can actually get better mileage in sport mode and have more fun to boot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with midcow3. I also live in the rockies and experience plenty of steep hills and the CT does just fine...not even a struggle at 11,000 feet. As for storage capacity, you should be fine unless your four duffel bags are all the size of a bag of gulf clubs! I transport my 100 pound german shepherd back there and there's still plenty of space. Stuff your four duffle bags with paper and head over to a Lexus dealership and give it a try.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know about 4 people but with 3 adults and quite a bit of luggage I've pulled several of the high passes in Colorado with no issues, driving the car unloaded all around Estes Park and Denver no problems at all. If you get creative you can fit quite a lot of luggage, preferably soft sided.

·
Registered
842 Posts
IMO, the Prius has more space with all the seats up. I found the space to be small when compared to my Prius when I switched cars, but I did not do a scientific survey. If you remove the cover and put it away for the trip your luggage will be exposed but you can pile it up much higher than in a trunk. I just found that the Prius had a much higher roofline back to the rear hatch which gave me more room. Not a ton more, but more.

On the other hand, this weekend I drove about 1,000 miles to and from my grandson's house to deliver a toy car for him and with the seats down the space was quite expansive. On the way back, under the cover, two carry on suitcases (one Tumi, one Samsonite) and two small duffles and one leather briefcase pretty much took up all the space. Both suitcases (the Tumi is a little longer, about the largest carry on allowed) fit in front to back, so the hatch closed and both were aligned, leaving room on both sides for other small packages and bags. You could actually stand them on edge, giving you a little more space on the side, but if you stacked more stuff on top of them and didn't care if you only had your side mirrors, there was even more space.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Nice reviews about these questions arises for a CT user. I like this talk because its really very interesting and questions based on natural automotive facts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
1). Cargo space. While not a daily issue my family needs to take trips every couple months for my sons medical issue and we load up the car with 4-5 duffle bags and 4 people. With the seats up, how is this cargo space in real world use? I have seen the cubic ft is listed at 14.3? Or so but that's hard for me to picture. Any of you that have used this for a family road trip, how was the cargo room? I would expect it to be snug but is it even a workable scenario? I can't find dimensions of the cargo area length/width/height but I know it's out there somewhere!
I took a tape measure and did a few quick measurements to give you a rough idea of the trunk size with the seats up.

Measuring depth, front to back:
  • 32" at the lowest point (cargo floor)
  • 12" at the highest point (from top of seats, since they are reclined, to the edge of the hatch at its highest point, as it also angles back)
Measuring height, top to bottom:
  • 24" from the lowest ceiling point to the cargo floor (highest ceiling point is about an inch more)
Measuring width, side to side:
  • 38" at the narrowest point at the cargo floor (wheel wells)
  • 47" at the widest point (above the wheel wells)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took a tape measure and did a few quick measurements to give you a rough idea of the trunk size with the seats up.
Wow! It's really cool that you took the time and effort to do that!

Thank you!

·
Registered
842 Posts

Thank you!
People on here are generally helpful. We have a few curmudgeons, present company included, but for the most part, we try to answer questions and be civil about it. Sometimes being asked the same question that had been answered many times before gets old, but even then, the snarky answer is the exception.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The car will be too small and underpowered for your intended use. Get a 2014+ Ford Fusion Hybrid. Similar economy, more practicality.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Thank you!
Hey, no problem at all! I use my car every day for cargo runs so I am always loading and unloading from the trunk.

I'm thinking of looking for some object we're all familiar with in terms of size (like one of those big packages of paper towels or toilet paper roll like you see in many reviews) so I can take pictures of them in the trunk for trunk size reference. Any ideas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts