Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone..
Am new to this forum, and newbie about xenon. I will receive my new ct200h in september in Norway.
Am woundering if you guys can share yours opinions about xenon hid kits for main lights and fogs.

Which kelvin match the Led Drl most?
what do you think about 35w or 55w, what does the different?
Should i go for 4300k, 6000k or higher?
Is it anything else i should think about?
What about only changing the standard bulb? And replace it with PIAA Xtreme White Plus or something similair.?

Sorry for my terrible writing:p:(
Thanks to everyone:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
What's wrong with this post?? For one, I would also like to know the temp. of the drl's. So many people complaining about there led's looking yellow after the hid kit is installed. Pham, make sure u go with a good hid kit. I would not get a cheap $30 kit off of eBay. Make sure the kit is a "true low draw" kit. Some kits have a very huge amp draw especially during startup. U are taking the risk of melting your wires on a large amp draw. I recently bought a hid kit from XenonDepot for my 2011 Sienna. There kits are a couple hundred dollars but worth it. No wiring harness needed. True low draw. 4-5 amp's during startup. Plus, a great company that has been in business since 2001. Also, 4300k is tru white color. It is what oem hid's are. The higher u go, the more blue it is. Email Steve at Xenondepot. He is a great guy and will answer any ?'s u have of hid kits. He knows more about auto lighting than anyone I've ever met. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi There and welcome to the club.

I recently did the upgrade myself on my F-sport
I went with a 35W 6000K bulb.

the 55W washes out the light too much in the HID in my opinion.
I've had many cars over the years and I found the 35W to be the ticket.
RIght balance between light output and that blue tinge

Here is a thread where I recently completed this.
This upgrade is a no brainer. Really simple to do even for somebody who never did it before. ONce you do it you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. The light output difference is huge

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-pictures/118349-my-f-sport-ct-new-fog-lamps-hid-kit.html

Hope this helps
Kris

BTW: Any HID kit will make your DRL yellowish. People will argue otherwise, but this is just the case in the real world. Seen it on many cars. Good luck with your choice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

Thanks Derek and OZ-CT200H :) You guys made it easy for me to choose:) Think I will go for 35W 6000K bulb:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Pham, I haven't seen the 35W 6000K in person, but I have the 35W 5000K and those are pretty damn bright/pure white.

OZ - Does yours have the slightest hint of blue?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Pham, I haven't seen the 35W 6000K in person, but I have the 35W 5000K and those are pretty damn bright/pure white.

OZ - Does yours have the slightest hint of blue?
I also have the 35W 5000K build and there might be just the slightest bit of blue, but mostly pure white.

They do not match the DRLs at all. They look very yellow compared to the HIDs. Personally, I think the contrast looks nice. If you wanted to match the hue of the DRLs, why bother with the HIDs? To match, you would have to go to 3000K or something like that. In that range, they'll look like the stock halogens bulbs, so why bother? It's not like the halogens don't produce enough light.

This post has a picture of my setup: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/1637126-post11.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have the 35W 5000K build and there might be just the slightest bit of blue, but mostly pure white.

They do not match the DRLs at all. They look very yellow compared to the HIDs. Personally, I think the contrast looks nice. If you wanted to match the hue of the DRLs, why bother with the HIDs? To match, you would have to go to 3000K or something like that. In that range, they'll look like the stock halogens bulbs, so why bother? It's not like the halogens don't produce enough light.

This post has a picture of my setup: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/1637126-post11.html
Thanks for sharing the picture.. It's look very nice:)
I havent got my car yet, it will come in september. You made me realize that I dont want the yellow-ish color.

I still dont understand the differense of 35W and 55W?:rolleyes:

How is the HID fog lights in fog? Is it the same as the main lights?
The reason am woundering, is because it's quite foggy in Norway around autumn. What do you think about Höen bulbs?

Thanks again:)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I will be going with...
55w H11 5000K Low Beams
35w H11 5000K Fog Lights

Going to order from DDM Tuning.
Are you saying you're going to put HID's in the fog light housings? You might want to do a lot of research on that first, they might burn too hot for that small space and you could potentially damage your fog light housings. You're going to really blind people from behind man...that's just my $0.02, glad I won't be driving in front of you!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Thanks for sharing the picture.. It's look very nice:)
I havent got my car yet, it will come in september. You made me realize that I dont want the yellow-ish color.

I still dont understand the differense of 35W and 55W?:rolleyes:

How is the HID fog lights in fog? Is it the same as the main lights?
The reason am woundering, is because it's quite foggy in Norway around autumn. What do you think about Höen bulbs?

Thanks again:)
Go on the DDM tuning website, I think they explain it a bit.

I went with true fog bulbs (yellow) as that's really the only color fog bulb that helps visibility in the fog. I went with Piaa Plasma Ion Yellow Fog lights (2500k). I have some pics posted on here: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-pictures/118285-window-tint-hid-slim-kit-pics.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is no right or wrong answer here guys.
Some people will like the 5K others 6K, etc ...
Also depending on ballast being 55w or 35w you will have a different result
Depending on bulb and ballast results will be different.
I've seen 2 same exact kits from same manufacturer side by side with different results when I bough 2 kits. One for my car and one for my brothers

Jimmy, myself and others here are showing you pictures and sharing our experience, but ultimately you will have to make your own decision with the best information you have.

The safe option is. 35w H11 4700 or 5K I think which will be very close to pure white, but with No blue tinge. My 6K is pure white on the road, but does have a slight blue tinge when looking at it close up like you can see in the photos Jimmy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you saying you're going to put HID's in the fog light housings? You might want to do a lot of research on that first, they might burn too hot for that small space and you could potentially damage your fog light housings. You're going to really blind people from behind man...that's just my $0.02, glad I won't be driving in front of you!
Thanks, what do you recommend to use as fogs lights? I want it to match the hid kit 5000k to 6000k. Your car looks so nice:cool:
Thanks in advance:)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Thanks, what do you recommend to use as fogs lights? I want it to match the hid kit 5000k to 6000k. Your car looks so nice:cool:
Thanks in advance:)
Not sure, perhaps look into Sylvania bulbs? I think they make a bulb that will burn a similar color, but not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
There is no right or wrong answer here guys.
Some people will like the 5K others 6K, etc ...
Also depending on ballast being 55w or 35w you will have a different result
Depending on bulb and ballast results will be different.
I've seen 2 same exact kits from same manufacturer side by side with different results when I bough 2 kits. One for my car and one for my brothers

Jimmy, myself and others here are showing you pictures and sharing our experience, but ultimately you will have to make your own decision with the best information you have.

The safe option is. 35w H11 4700 or 5K I think which will be very close to pure white, but with No blue tinge. My 6K is pure white on the road, but does have a slight blue tinge when looking at it close up like you can see in the photos Jimmy.
Well said. I'll admit, the 5k, 35W bulbs (when looking at them) have a very faint blue hue to them, but not much at all, and the light emitted on the roadway is the pure white part. My Infiniti had 4300K HID's and those were pure white both at the bulb and on the road.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ran the same set up in an 2008 Matrix for a couple years. Looking at the fog light housing the size is similar if not bigger than the Matrix housing so I don't see heat being an issue. I would never put a 55w bulb in that housing but 35w should be fine.

The fog lights in that car could also be adjusted a bit so the combination of aiming them correctly and only using them when needed should make that a non-issue. With my old setup, I did occasionally ask my friends or family to let me turn them on and they could tell me if it caused them any issues while I followed them and every time they would say no. I'm thinking my Matrix being lowered so much might have played a part in them not being very blinding also.

Not all housings react well to HIDs though so I will have to see how the CT200h does. If it is bad then I won't run them in the fogs and just have a spare set if my headlights have any issues. It's nice to have the fogs and lows use the same bulb type.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I purchased the relay kit and will be installing it. I have noticed occasionally that the drivers side hid doesn't turn on when the light level falls (dusk), I have the light switch set to auto.

Again it appears that the problem is linked to the auto light feature when the car is already running.

The lights appear to illuminate fine when it's already dark and the car is started so the lights are required to turn on immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Just figured out why the LED's look so yellow when the headlights are on. Has anyone else noticed the LED's dim quite a bit once you turn on your headlights? I was in my garage, I turned on my LED's and they lit up the wall pretty bright (but up high). Then I turned on my HID lights and the high/bright light went away and turned very dim & the HID's took over. I doubt it's an HID issue only and think Lexus designed it this way, so when you're using your DRL's, they're bright enough in the daytime but then they're not needed that bright at night when you have your lights on.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I wasn't sure if that was just an optical allusion but you could very well be correct. It makes total sense.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if others agree if that's the case? I'm 99% sure it is.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts