Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am recently considering buying a new car and I have two candidates now: CT200h and Mercedes B-Class.

I have test-drived the CT and I like it overall. Here are my two concerns: lack of power (especially when emerging lanes), and the smaller room inside (I own a Subaru Impreza 2002 and I am 5'11").

Do any of you happened to have owned both CT and Merc-B? or How do you like your CT overall?

Thanks a lot,

·
Registered
232 Posts
my cousin has one, and i loaned it from him a week. my suggestion is as follows

Merc B
- more space than the CT, but if your priority is space, you're better off with an entry level Merc C?
- Better acceleration. B200 is the one i tested.
- better kitted.

Lexus CT200h
- good handling
- much more handsome than the B.
- ultra reliable
- great fuel consumption

·
Registered
441 Posts
my95tsi is right of course, but for what it's worth I'm six feet tall and very comfortable, and I gave up Mercs for Lexus about twelve years ago.

232 Posts
MB B class and CT are totally different cars. You ought to compare MB B class to Lexus ES300H, or to BMW 3 series Active Hybrid. I was invited by Lexus to participate in a track event a month ago which was set up at Meadowlands MetLife (Giants) stadium. I had opportunity to test drive a MB B class as well, and believe me MB B is a dog when compared to ES300H!!! 2012 Subaru Impreza is the highest MPG AWD mini SUV and it shines in performance with its super responsive H4 gas engine. Impreza got impressive acceleration that you will not find in the CT.

Acceleration is more than adequate in the CT, but CT's caveat is its spectacular high mileage which is in the range of 46+MPG in everyday driving, with a EPA rating of 43 city/40 hwy mpg. There are about 2.8M Prius worldwide with the same acceleration rate as that of CT, and Prius sales are climbing ever higher. You ain't gonna to out accelerate an 18 wheeler on an up hill merge for sure, but there is no issue with acceleration under normal driving conditions. You may opt to improve the CT's lethargic response by mod's such as aFE free flow high performance air filter or inJen cold air intake. You ought to compare CT against the new Ford G-Max hybrid, Toyota's Prius V, etc.. You will find CT to be much more refined, better handling and fun to drive than any other hybrid. It got very sophisticated suspension, lateral Yamaha dampeners in the front, fully wishbone independent link in the rear; all of which makes it a breeze to negotiate tight mountainous curves. Of course if you want to be totally engulfed in the typical world of Lexus super luxury amenities go for the newly introduced ES300H @ 48K plus but the mileage is down to 40 MPG.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi guys,

I am recently considering buying a new car and I have two candidates now: CT200h and Mercedes B-Class.

I have test-drived the CT and I like it overall. Here are my two concerns: lack of power (especially when emerging lanes), and the smaller room inside (I own a Subaru Impreza 2002 and I am 5'11").

Do any of you happened to have owned both CT and Merc-B? or How do you like your CT overall?

Thanks a lot,
The CT acceleration is ok, if you do mostly in town, stop and go driving. If you have to merge onto a highway or drive on a highway, it's pretty crappy acceleration. All the auto reviews have gotten low 10's.. 0-60. It's even slightly slower than the Prius or a Yaris. There is also the UN-refinement of the CT when you have to nail the gas hard.. annoying loud 4 cylinder sound that sounds like a 10 yr old economy car. Same as with a Prius. If you are going to be putting people into the backseat on a regular basis, dont' buy the CT

·
Registered
65 Posts
MB B class and CT are totally different cars. You ought to compare MB B class to Lexus ES300H, or to BMW 3 series Active Hybrid. I was invited by Lexus to participate in a track event a month ago which was set up at Meadowlands MetLife (Giants) stadium. I had opportunity to test drive a MB B class as well, and believe me MB B is a dog when compared to ES300H!!! 2012 Subaru Impreza is the highest MPG AWD mini SUV and it shines in performance with its super responsive H4 gas engine. Impreza got impressive acceleration that you will not find in the CT.

Acceleration is more than adequate in the CT, but CT's caveat is its spectacular high mileage which is in the range of 46+MPG in everyday driving, with a EPA rating of 43 city/40 hwy mpg. There are about 2.8M Prius worldwide with the same acceleration rate as that of CT, and Prius sales are climbing ever higher. You ain't gonna to out accelerate an 18 wheeler on an up hill merge for sure, but there is no issue with acceleration under normal driving conditions. You may opt to improve the CT's lethargic response by mod's such as aFE free flow high performance air filter or inJen cold air intake. You ought to compare CT against the new Ford G-Max hybrid, Toyota's Prius V, etc.. You will find CT to be much more refined, better handling and fun to drive than any other hybrid. It got very sophisticated suspension, lateral Yamaha dampeners in the front, fully wishbone independent link in the rear; all of which makes it a breeze to negotiate tight mountainous curves. Of course if you want to be totally engulfed in the typical world of Lexus super luxury amenities go for the newly introduced ES300H @ 48K plus but the mileage is down to 40 MPG.
Depends on what you are used to... To me the CT acceleration for freeways is very lacking. It's very un-refined (CT) when you have to nail the gas hard to merge.. like a 10 yr old economy car. Same with the Prius.. If you can afford it, go with the ES300H.. nearly 2 full seconds faster 0-60mph and still pretty good gas mileage and far larger inside.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The CT acceleration is ok, if you do mostly in town, stop and go driving. If you have to merge onto a highway or drive on a highway, it's pretty crappy acceleration. All the auto reviews have gotten low 10's.. 0-60. It's even slightly slower than the Prius or a Yaris. There is also the UN-refinement of the CT when you have to nail the gas hard.. annoying loud 4 cylinder sound that sounds like a 10 yr old economy car. Same as with a Prius. If you are going to be putting people into the backseat on a regular basis, dont' buy the CT
My sentiments exactly. The 4 banger is loud with no guts for freeway driving, but then again, it's an econo-car. I just wish I was getting great gas mileage like some other drivers are reporting on this forum. My average is around 32-36 mpg and I've never gotten over 40 mpg even on a good day.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, I love my CT for the mileage, refinement, reliability and design. I need a wagon to carry stuff and it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are actually in the same boat as you! My wife and I traded our 2007 RX350 for the 2012 CT200H back this summer. Although we love what the CT offered in terms of economy and fun city driving, it does have limitations to what our needs are. Four negatives we did not expect from the CT when we purchased the car: 1) Highway driving is not pleasant especially driving across a steeper bridge (which I need to do daily for work), 2) rear door entrances for family and friends are a bit small (we overlooked this feature probably thinking we are not the ones sitting at the back) 3) front passenger seat adjustments are non-powered and only 4-way which is a bummer... And again didn't realize we missed power seats and driver getting 6-way power while front passenger just 4-way non-power (But I was told 2013 technology package has 4-way power seats), 4) the seats and door openings are actually rather low for even daily city drivers. There were quite a few instances where the front passenger, when getting out needed to be careful when opening door when car was parked at street curb parking. Some of city curbs are actually high enough that may actually scrape the CTs front passengers door when opened to half way! But, all that said, we still really enjoy the CT and knew what CT offered when we traded our RX350, but we just realized CT would be a great city car and maybe a secondary car for our needs...

Now, the new B250 from Mercedes does look very interesting and on paper combined 6.9l/100km city / highway at 200hp / 250 torque. The B250 is priced similar to the CT200H @ $30k and loaded with nav at $40k. Will be going for a test drive this weekend to see if this car can offer what the CT is lacking for us..

Please note, we are not CT haters! We are a CT owner but realizing some deficiencies having driven it daily for 5 months 9200km...

·
Registered
990 Posts
My sentiments exactly. The 4 banger is loud with no guts for freeway driving, but then again, it's an econo-car. I just wish I was getting great gas mileage like some other drivers are reporting on this forum. My average is around 32-36 mpg and I've never gotten over 40 mpg even on a good day.
Wow 32-36 is horrible! I can floor it from every stop light for an entire tank of gas and still get 40 mpg. That my worst yet.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should have your car checked out, even the mook's at R&T got 40mpg in their tests and they are all quite lead-footed. I couldn't get that poor mileage if I tried. Our teenaged son drove my CT for a few days and even he got in the high 38's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The CT is a compromise, you need to understand that before you buy one. If you can't deal with not having lots of power then you should run away screaming immediately. You give up that power in favor of ridiculously high fuel mileage. Most cars will give you more of a balance between the two but with the CT its definitely (obviously) biased in favor of mileage.

The CT does handle fairly well though and I think its quite stylish. It's also reasonably comfortable and has lots of amenities in the cabin. Sure there are little niggling things (and I niggle about them all the time) Crap sunvisors, no power passenger seat and no seat memory unless you pay full freight for real leather seats are all shameful and the Toyota execs should be jumping off buildings in shame for allowing any Lexus to be shipped in such condition. All that said, the CT is fun to drive, saves me a fortune in gas and hauls everything I need it to.

And will everyone please stop wanking about interior space!!, Its a compact car, do you all not get the concept of a small compact car?? Its not an RX or (God forbid) a Camry. If you need to haul kids, lots of friends or building supplies around you'd have to be MENTAL to buy a CT, go buy something that suits your needs. Here in SoCal though most of us just drive around alone, why haul around a bunch of extra car that you don't need:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts