Lexus CT200h Forums banner

PARKING BRAKE PEDAL rattling noise

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  renezaiter 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Ive purchased a used CT200h 2011 in 2016 (The Netherlands, Europe) and its been a great car. Never had any issues except for this one described below.

I noticed that a rattling / clicking noise would appear randomly when driving on the highway.
After a while I managed to find out that it was coming from the Parking Brake Pedal. If I apply side-to-side force on the pedal when driving, the noise would be suppressed.
When releasing the force, it would come back at random intervals.

Ive attached a video recording (encoded 20mb) with the strange clicking noise. You should be able play the first file, if you cant try the 2nd one.
1. Mp4 http://www.coqo.com/ct200.m4v
2. Mkv http://www.coqo.com/ct200.mkv

Can anyone please let me know if this is a regular issue with the ct200h and how I can fix this? Its annoying as hell :mad:
Preferably not replacing the entire pedal as I have 2 left hands. Looking at the replacement instructions in the service manual made me dizzy :confused:

Thanks a lot!

-Jay

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Raidin,

Sorry for my late reply but I've returned recently from a trip throughout southern Europe, the CT200h has done a good job.
Handling was precise and there was enough power in Sport mode to cruise smoothly throughout the Dolomites.
Even fuel usage was, contrary to my expectations pretty decent (about 19-20 kilometers per litre!) in the mountains!.
A tip: Use the B driving mode made lengthy downhill rides fairly pleasant as you slow down a lot without overheating your brakes too much.

Now back to my original clicking issue. Ive also found out that the the noise you're hearing is actually not caused by a loose pedal,

View attachment 57282 View attachment 57290
it is caused by a loose bolt in the PARKING BRAKE PEDAL. unit itself. AFAIK there is no way to tighten this and its not possible to remove it easily.
Ive checked all over the place for a replacement and it would cost me around 400 EUR to replace it (including labour).
This is not the kind of money I'm willing to spend on this, so Ive managed to find a rather primitive way using rubber to reduce the sound significantly.

If you look at the second picture, ive drawn the way how the clicking sound is generated. Because the bolt (from picture1) is loose, you can actually slide the 2 sides apart with a high error marging, causing the rattling/clicking sound when driving over a bump. Ive found a piece of rubber and cut it with a scissor so it actually fits in between the 2 pieces when i slide them apart. This is not a problem as I never use the Parking Brake anyways.

cheers
Jay

ps It took me hours and hours to actually find the CT200h service manual, if I can help anyone please let me know by sending me a pm.

#5 ·
Hey Raidin,

Sorry for my late reply but I've returned recently from a trip throughout southern Europe, the CT200h has done a good job.
Handling was precise and there was enough power in Sport mode to cruise smoothly throughout the Dolomites.
Even fuel usage was, contrary to my expectations pretty decent (about 19-20 kilometers per litre!) in the mountains!.
A tip: Use the B driving mode made lengthy downhill rides fairly pleasant as you slow down a lot without overheating your brakes too much.

Now back to my original clicking issue. Ive also found out that the the noise you're hearing is actually not caused by a loose pedal,

View attachment 57282 View attachment 57290
it is caused by a loose bolt in the PARKING BRAKE PEDAL. unit itself. AFAIK there is no way to tighten this and its not possible to remove it easily.
Ive checked all over the place for a replacement and it would cost me around 400 EUR to replace it (including labour).
This is not the kind of money I'm willing to spend on this, so Ive managed to find a rather primitive way using rubber to reduce the sound significantly.

If you look at the second picture, ive drawn the way how the clicking sound is generated. Because the bolt (from picture1) is loose, you can actually slide the 2 sides apart with a high error marging, causing the rattling/clicking sound when driving over a bump. Ive found a piece of rubber and cut it with a scissor so it actually fits in between the 2 pieces when i slide them apart. This is not a problem as I never use the Parking Brake anyways.

cheers
Jay

ps It took me hours and hours to actually find the CT200h service manual, if I can help anyone please let me know by sending me a pm.
Hoi, als je met nl rijders wil praten kijk anders op Facebook of instagram
United lexus society

#7 ·
Hey Raidin, Sorry for my late reply but I've returned recently from a trip throughout southern Europe, the CT200h has done a good job. Handling was precise and there was enough power in Sport mode to cruise smoothly throughout the Dolomites. Even fuel usage was, contrary to my expectations pretty decent (about 19-20 kilometers per litre!) in the mountains!. A tip: Use the B driving mode made lengthy downhill rides fairly pleasant as you slow down a lot without overheating your brakes too much. Now back to my original clicking issue. Ive also found out that the the noise you're hearing is actually not caused by a loose pedal, View attachment 57282 View attachment 57290 it is caused by a loose bolt in the PARKING BRAKE PEDAL. unit itself. AFAIK there is no way to tighten this and its not possible to remove it easily. Ive checked all over the place for a replacement and it would cost me around 400 EUR to replace it (including labour). This is not the kind of money I'm willing to spend on this, so Ive managed to find a rather primitive way using rubber to reduce the sound significantly. If you look at the second picture, ive drawn the way how the clicking sound is generated. Because the bolt (from picture1) is loose, you can actually slide the 2 sides apart with a high error marging, causing the rattling/clicking sound when driving over a bump. Ive found a piece of rubber and cut it with a scissor so it actually fits in between the 2 pieces when i slide them apart. This is not a problem as I never use the Parking Brake anyways. cheers Jay ps It took me hours and hours to actually find the CT200h service manual, if I can help anyone please let me know by sending me a pm.
Hello I have a Toyota Camry 2017 and the same rattling noise coming from the parking brake pedal occurs when I drive over harsh roads. Your reply is so accurate but I can’t see the images you provided to get rid of the noise. Would you please help me with this?