Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...after waiting for awhile to decide to do this, I finally ordered an HID kit today online. The kit cost $120...Yes it is more expensive than the $50 kits people have purchased on this forum but read the stats on it and you'll see why I ordered it. No screwed up beam pattern, REAL 10 year warranty, NO fake bulb-out warnings...these basically look like they were designed to be as good as factory HID's...not an afterthought. Here's the link:
H11: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Component Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let us know how this works with the auto setting. People that purchased $300+ kits still have the same problem. If this fixes it I would be willing to purchase this and get rid of mine that doesn't work with auto.

·
Registered
132 Posts
umm these are freaking thick/fat... have fun putting that between your confined engine area...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let us know how this works with the auto setting. People that purchased $300+ kits still have the same problem. If this fixes it I would be willing to purchase this and get rid of mine that doesn't work with auto.
I didn't know some have a problem with that...I assume you mean in the "aoto" position the lights don't come on at all? I will ask them but if that is the case, I would probably not keep them

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
umm these are freaking thick/fat... have fun putting that between your confined engine area...
You are talking about the car, right? ;)

Bondguy - What do you mean by "screwed up beam pattern"? Haven't heard of that issue in any of the other kits we've put on the CT. How does a HID bulb contribute to the light pattern that's distributed? Don't all bulbs burn bright 360 degrees around and it's the housing/projector that throws the light? :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have installed about 50 kits in various cars. For my wife's ct200h I got the Kensun (4300 35W) because of issues I read about with other brands ballasts not starting all the time when the lights are in 'auto' mode. There are two issues with the Kensun, (1) they use very inexpensive H11 bulbs. The bulb locking tabs are not to spec, they are plastic that is thick and not the correct length. If they are not turned correctly to 'lock' properly the metal rod that sheilds the light at the bottom of the bulb is out of position. It will cause a poor beam pattern. (2), they are not plug and play so you need to push male pin connectors into the oem bulb socket. This is poor and they could have included the correct male connector, H11 only uses one spec male plug and this would avoid polarity issues.

Morimoto is very good quality I haven't tried it on the ct200h but you will be happy with the quality. I usually use Notto SE from CarId HID Kits | Xenon Lights | HID Lights - CARiD.com I have never had an issuse with their products or customer service. They come complete with relay harness, capacitors (not needed for the CT200h), and readable instructions. Let us know how your Morimoto work.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard that some cheaper kits have obvious dark spots...just what I have read. Also, all bulbs are not crated equal...

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Of 50 installs , which is the BEST HID ??

I have installed about 50 kits in various cars. For my wife's ct200h I got the Kensun (4300 35W) because of issues I read about with other brands ballasts not starting all the time when the lights are in 'auto' mode. There are two issues with the Kensun, (1) they use very inexpensive H11 bulbs. The bulb locking tabs are not to spec, they are plastic that is thick and not the correct length. If they are not turned correctly to 'lock' properly the metal rod that sheilds the light at the bottom of the bulb is out of position. It will cause a poor beam pattern. (2), they are not plug and play so you need to push male pin connectors into the oem bulb socket. This is poor and they could have included the correct male connector, H11 only uses one spec male plug and this would avoid polarity issues.

Morimoto is very good quality I haven't tried it on the ct200h but you will be happy with the quality. I usually use Notto SE from CarId HID Kits | Xenon Lights | HID Lights - CARiD.com I have never had an issuse with their products or customer service. They come complete with relay harness, capacitors (not needed for the CT200h), and readable instructions. Let us know how your Morimoto work.
Interesting, Brian if you have installed over 50 kits, I would have assumed you have found through empirical discovery the "best solution". However , you chose Kensun instead of Morimoto ?? :confused:. You comments are interesting and I basically agree ;). I am not sure what constitutes an inexpensvie H11 blub, but I take your word, that the Kensun are inexpensive; how would an expensvie H11 differ ?. Yes the plastic tabs did not fit perfectly, even though comparing to OEM tabs they visually looked the same. While not the most ideal connection, plugging the wires into the OEM socket is still plug and play. There is no wire cutting or wire splicing involved and you can easily reverse and go back to OEM, which my "true" definition of "Plug-n-Play" :cool:.

I have been struggling with my HID conversion since August 2011. I worked with my DDM representative for over two months installing a relay harness and capacitive discharge; neither which fixed the problem. The last "guess" they wanted to try was putting in full size ballasts. Each "guess", I had to buy and pay an additional $13.42 shipping. So right now I am supposed to get a full refund of the previous products less my return shipping costs. I sent it back Priority mail on Saturday, November 19; haven't received a response yet or credit ... and maybe none will come :mad:.. but, either way I am over my "misfire" problems .. the kensun have been flawless even when saddled with "AUTO" mode and fog light duty.:cool::cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
50 kits have been over the past 3 years so it doesn’t seem to be that many. Experience over time; kits got more available, some good and a lot not so great. I’m a member of other forums and have helped other members with their installs. I also work part time at a custom car shop. My wife’s CT200h is a new model and I felt it was better to go with something that others have said had few problems. I didn’t’ want to experiment with her car by testing other brands. Morimoto and a few others cost a bit more and are better constructed and seem to have better quality control. I haven’t had non-activating ballasts, bulbs that don’t fit properly or dead on arrival parts from Morimoto or Notto. This is the first conversion bulb I installed that didn’t fit properly without some modification, (kind of kills plug and play for me). Plug and play would have been ‘real’ for me if the bulbs fit properly and I didn’t have to guess which male pin needed to be connected to what side of the OEM connector, a simple adaptor from Kensun would have solved that one. Glad that you’re also working and the improved visibility is worth the effort. Have to see how bondguy does with his Morimoto. Forums are great to share these observations.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
brian_237 Thanks for the explanation. Take care man and enjoy the CT ..that is if your wife's lets you drive it ;)

P.S. - You are correct about getting the pins in the right slots; I forgot about my background; it wasn't an issue for me. - sorry

P.S.S- If no one else has said it -WELCOME TO THE FORUM :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going to install these next week...now that I have them, wondering from people who have installed HID kits...any worries about these things voiding any factory warranty???

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Going to install these next week...now that I have them, wondering from people who have installed HID kits...any worries about these things voiding any factory warranty???
I wouldn't worry. The only time Lexus would question it if there were a light issue and then because they are plug-n-play you would merely reinstall OEM lights.

I went through water and rain and one of my fog lights got water in it. Lexus ordered a completed replacement unit and gave me a hard time when I wanted them to put a Sylvania Ultra light bulb that I supplied instead of the OEM. They said they could only perform Lexus warranty with Lexus OEM parts. Oh on the rain, the CT does very well at not hydroplanning, better than most if not all other cars I have driven.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still haven't received the Morimoto HID kit yet...it is listed as shipped as of yesterday...one of the parts was on backorder. I hate to admit it but I have never opened up my hood until last week when I was thinking of installing the HID kit myself and wanted to see what it looked like under the hood...Man that is one tight space...not even sure if I can fit my hands in there to take the old bulbs out. Is there something I'm missing to this---like something I'm supposed to take out to have better access to that area? The kit should be here any day now but I'm a little put off about trying it myself...also, should I disconnect the power first and if so, is there a connector under the hood to disconnect the battery (like a remote terminal) or do I have to do it right at the source and disconnect it in the rear of the car? I really don't want to pay someone to do this as it is plug and play but looking at the tight space...well, you know

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s really not difficult. But if you haven’t worked on HID kits before just take your time. Search the forum there are some posted instructions. http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-engine-technical-discussion/118193-hid-slim-ballast-kit-installed-55-watt-4500-k.html#post1636498
You shouldn't need to disconnect the battery, but car and lights need to be off. D

Driver’s side, if you need more room you can remove 3 of the clips that hold the plastic cover that goes across the front above the grill and prop up the plastic trim a few inches, just do the 3 on the drivers side. It will give you room to get your hand by the bulb. The center 'pin' of the plastic clip needs to be lifted up before you can remove the clip.

Passenger’s side, remove the two bolts holding the overflow bottle (pink solution). You can move the bottle out of the way and there will be room for your hand.

Hint1: the old bulbs have an ‘L’ shaped connector. You’re going to turn them (rotate) and the bulb will release from the projector housing. Note the original ‘L’ position and direction you turned it and installing the new bulbs will be easier.
Hint2: the connector on the bulb may be difficult to release. You have to release a plastic tab that locks the connector to the old bulb.
Hint3: Don’t touch the glass part of the bulb with fingers. Oil will degrade the life of bulb.
H11ConnectorLock1.jpg
PlasticTrimClips1.jpg Twist H11.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
bondguy, here is the link Brian posted (when I clicked his, it just brought me to the main forum page, so try this): http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le...lim-ballast-kit-installed-55-watt-4500-k.html

This is what I used to do my install. It really is NOT difficult, you just need to trust yourself. If you go into it doubting yourself, yeah, you might struggle. Just take your time and make sure it's in a well lit area and allow yourself enough time to do it. The hardest part was figuring out the best place to mount the ballasts (I didn't do what was done in the DIY thread). Good luck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a guy who does these for a lot of cars...he will do the install for $50...will let him do it for that price. My only question is on the backside of the factory headlights, did you have to drill a 1" or other size hole on the enclosure or do the wires that connect to the bulbs (factory) stick through into the engine compartment so that I only have to attach the new harness to the new bulb without drilling (not sure if you know what I am talking about)?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
It’s really not difficult. But if you haven’t worked on HID kits before just take your time. Search the forum there are some posted instructions. http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-engine-technical-discussion/118193-hid-slim-ballast-kit-installed-55-watt-4500-k.html#post1636498
You shouldn't need to disconnect the battery, but car and lights need to be off. D

Driver’s side, if you need more room you can remove 3 of the clips that hold the plastic cover that goes across the front above the grill and prop up the plastic trim a few inches, just do the 3 on the drivers side. It will give you room to get your hand by the bulb. The center 'pin' of the plastic clip needs to be lifted up before you can remove the clip.

Passenger’s side, remove the two bolts holding the overflow bottle (pink solution). You can move the bottle out of the way and there will be room for your hand.

Hint1: the old bulbs have an ‘L’ shaped connector. You’re going to turn them (rotate) and the bulb will release from the projector housing. Note the original ‘L’ position and direction you turned it and installing the new bulbs will be easier.
Hint2: the connector on the bulb may be difficult to release. You have to release a plastic tab that locks the connector to the old bulb.
Hint3: Don’t touch the glass part of the bulb with fingers. Oil will degrade the life of bulb.

The hints are excellent.:) However, I would recommend removing the entire engine cover; it is very easy. And the correct way to remove the cover clips is to first push the center portion down to release, then pull up the entire clip upwards. To put them back in you pull the center portion almost all the way out until the rest of the clip comes together as a point. You then put the clip in the hole and press the center portion only until it is flush with the outer portion ( it you continue to push it down it will release the clip :rolleyes:). See below form the CT200h Owner's manual:

·
Registered
10 Posts
No drilling needed. The HID bulb is complete (bulb + its socket). Some kits have wires already attached to the bulb assembly and some you will connect a new HID connector from the balast to the back of the bulb assembly. But either way the wires are on the outside of the projector housing, (no drilling). The HID bulb + its carrier assembly have a gasket so it seals into the projector housing and wires are all outside.

Owner's manual! I never even looked at it. I'm used to our RX manual that had nothing helpful. I'll have to read through the ct manual now. Might even be a picture of changing headlight bulbs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts