Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just happen to notice this after owning my CT for 2 months (this especially applies for those who park theirs outside every day like me)...

In the rear hatch area, there is a flat part of the trunk which sits right below the rear wiper blade and above the 'L' emblem. This painted area will be susceptible to collecting rail dust, road debris, tree fallout, sticky dirt, etc. I suspect that this especially happens when the rear wiper is in use. (the area is circled in yellow below)

The best way to maintain a clean and smooth finish is to clean the stuff off of the affected area every so often. However if the surface of the painted area feels a little rough, you'll have to clay bar the area like I just did. It will basically lift off the stuck dirt and debris from the painted area. Then you can hit it up with a scratch/swirl remover applicant for a complete mirror shine finish.

Hope this tidbit of info helps out for those planning to detail their CT :)

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
YUUUUUUUUP. That little shelf is just PERFECT for all sorts of things to land on! But slanted just right to prevent its use as a drink holder/bar. FAIL.

On the other hand, it does prevent other people from putting drinks on it at tailgate parties.... hahaha.

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMHO the entire rear of the car is a huge dirt collector. I've owned a number of cars with hatchbacks, and none of them has ever collected so much hatch dirt in comparison to the rest of the car. I guess it has something to do with the shape/aerodynamics of the rear end.

I've also noticed that I need to use the rear wiper a lot more often in this car than other 3/5 doors I've had, probably for the same reason.

Maybe somebody will come up with an aftermarket spoiler that will improve the "dirt dynamics" back there.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
IMHO the entire rear of the car is a huge dirt collector. I've owned a number of cars with hatchbacks, and none of them has ever collected so much hatch dirt in comparison to the rest of the car. I guess it has something to do with the shape/aerodynamics of the rear end.

I've also noticed that I need to use the rear wiper a lot more often in this car than other 3/5 doors I've had, probably for the same reason.

Maybe somebody will come up with an aftermarket spoiler that will improve the "dirt dynamics" back there.
Amen to that man. I just realized how bad it is after driving this past week (we had some snow last weekend here in NE and they salted the roads). After driving for on some damp/salted roads, the entire back of the car is pretty damn dirty. :( I guess that means I'll be washing the CT a LOT more than I have my prior cars.

·
Registered
842 Posts
That little shelf is no more of a dirt catcher than the rest of the back end of the car. It is just the way the car is designed. The aerodynamics must cause the dirt to flow around there and the dirt just sticks.

It is no different from lots of other cars. My wife's GS350 is worse. My Prius was worse. No biggie.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Not sure if anyone else realized this, but that shelf is all plastic/fiberglass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts