Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2011 with 33k miles on it. The owner before me just had the 30k service done. I checked the engine oil and it is definitely at the mid point on the stick. It is super clean so it is a little difficult to tell. I checked it several times to make sure. I have a hard time believing that the engine is using any oil. My guess is the dealer shorted the guy about 3/4 of a quart of oil. When you have your car serviced or change the oil yourself is the level up to the full level after replacing the correct amount of oil? I could imagine that with all of the oil changes a dealer does with synthetic oil that shorting every car a 1/2 to 3/4 quart would save them lots of money.

·
Registered
352 Posts
On this car, I find it hard to see a clear level since it smears as i pull the stick up, it does look like it's at the top of the dot, I did do my own oil change and added about 4.5 qts. If your level is between the dots you should be fine, they meter the oil in from bulk so it's not a concise measurement for them, I'd be more concern about them using conventional oil instead of synthetic, which is a much bigger paycheck then shorting a little oil, that's why I do my own maintenance.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Most engines do not take well to being over-filled. Probably worse than being low. There is a warning on the filler cap, you can blow gaskets.Having praised my indie above, I find that their last recent service put a little too much in. I've managed to syphon 1 litre out and the engine is a lot more lively.
I would be really surprised if your engine had an extra liter of oil in it after an oil change. That is not "a little too much in". The amount of oil that is not in the filter is less than 4 liters. I think even the most incompetent employee at the worst 15 minute oil change place would be hard pressed to overfill it by that much.

A slight overfill is hardly dangerous. It is very bad if it gets overfilled to the extent that the crankshaft (or whatever they call it now), splashes the oil in the sump. But you can see that because the oil gets very foamy. I don't see how an overfill could possibly affect gas mileage, but I am always willing to learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts