Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on where to buy a special service tool for oil filter removal on the CT200h?

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, just bought the one from Amazon. I also got zero help from my dealer. I'll never pay anyone to change oil, even if Lexus tries to make it tough. Appreciate the help - thanks again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Then I would start looking around to see who carries 0W-20 oil in your area. In the 8 years that I've owned an hybrid, I've never come across an auto parts store that has it in stock. Some may have a spot for it. But they never seem to have it. The only place that I've ever had success (other than online) has been WalMart. Sometimes they will have Mobil-1. More recently, they've had Pennzoil 0W-20. But, WalMart can be hit or miss.

I would suggest that, ongoing, as soon as you complete one oil change, you should try to stock up for the next one, so that, when it comes time to change your oil next time, you aren't at the mercy of local stores.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I've had the best luck at Walmart. 0W-20 is so freakin' hard to find!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Matt and Bill. I actually did buy 2 5-qt containers of Mobil-1 0W-20 at WalMart before driving the first hundred miles. Guess I got lucky they had it. More pricey than the oil I usually buy but it's a good investment.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Passenger side. There are 3 air dam connector pins to remove which allows a hinged portion of the air dam to lower. You'll see the drain plug and filter housing after you lower this hinged section. Need to jack the car up fairly high to get the hinged section to fold back far enough so the oil clears it. Not exactly an easy access application. Can tell Lexus doesn't really want others doing the routine changes.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
That's a shame. At least there's a hinged section rather than having to take the entire underbody cover off!

·
Registered
205 Posts
For those who decide to change their own oil, do you despose of it properly ? I used to do my own oil changes, but I find my time is worth more then the charge for someone else to do it.

I find it an inconvenience and a hassle to change it and then have to dispose it properly

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I just take it down to the local AutoZone or O'Reilly's. They have a big collection tank in the back you dump it all in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My town collects it once a month to heat the fire station. Many garages will also take it. Just need to ask around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My local Toyota dealer advertises that they will work on Lexus as well (always made sense to me, but I guess in some market's that's frowned on). I doubt they've seen too many CT's at this point, but they've certainly seen Prii. Maybe by my second oil change (since Lexus covers the first one) they'll have worked on a few CT's. $30 for someone else to do the work is hard to beat, but there's no way I'd pay the Lexus dealer upwards of $250 for a "minor" service. Even if you just ask for an LOF it's still $50 or more. :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
If any of you are still having a hard time finding the 0W-20 locally, you can buy it online at retailers like Amazon...and free shipping there if you're a Prime member:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$8.87 per quart?! I just bought a 5qt container of Mobil-1 0W-20 synthetic for $26 and change, or about $5.30 per quart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never said anything about it being a good deal from a price perspective ;) I was simply offering an alternate avenue for anyone who can't find this oil weight by any other means locally...

·
Registered
25 Posts
My local Toyota dealer advertises that they will work on Lexus as well (always made sense to me, but I guess in some market's that's frowned on). I doubt they've seen too many CT's at this point, but they've certainly seen Prii. Maybe by my second oil change (since Lexus covers the first one) they'll have worked on a few CT's. $30 for someone else to do the work is hard to beat, but there's no way I'd pay the Lexus dealer upwards of $250 for a "minor" service. Even if you just ask for an LOF it's still $50 or more. :eek:
Are you saying that getting an oil change for the CT at a Toyota dealership is generally cheaper than going to the Lexus dealer? Can others chime in as to how much they have paid a dealership to do an oil change on their CT? Lastly, what is LOF? Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
371 Posts
Are you saying that getting an oil change for the CT at a Toyota dealership is generally cheaper than going to the Lexus dealer? Can others chime in as to how much they have paid a dealership to do an oil change on their CT? Lastly, what is LOF? Thanks for your replies
LOF = Lub, Oil, Filter

1 - 20 of 29 Posts