Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen different write ups for this but they have been incomplete. Either missing pictures or diagrams. I've tried to pull together the different sources into 1 thread. Most pics are mine. Some are not. I will give credit if I use other pictures.

Like in my other thread about the TPMS Bypass I will separate into multiple posts:
- Conceptual description
- Pictures and explanation of the mirror install
- Pictures and explanation of the camera install

EDIT: want to add that this took me 8 hrs. Anyone who tells you it takes ~1hr is pure BS. They are just bragging. If I were to do it for your car knowing everything I know now it would still take me 2 hours.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Steps in the installation of mirror:
1) Replace original mirror with LCD mirror
2) Remove door trim below driver's seat
3) Run the mirror power/video line from the mirror to the kick panel. Tuck cable under headliner. Tuck cable under A pillar. Remove the weather stripping if necessary.
4) Splice ACC +12V line to power the mirror

EDIT: instead of getting ACC power you can just get the reverse signal to power the mirror. That way the LED is only on when you are in reverse. Preference I guess. I don't really mind knowing the mirror is working when my car is on. Location of reverse signal:

Reverse Light red + driver kick, white 76 pin plug, pin 41

Steps in the installation of the camera
1) Remove the door trim pieces on the inside of the hatch
2) Remove the tail lights
3) Remove the outside garnish where the emblem is installed
4) Replace one of the license plate lights with the camera
5) Tap the reverse light wires to power the camera
6) Route the video cable from the camera to the driver's kick panel by tucking under the headliner. No need to remove any trim panels or even the weather stripping to do this.
7) Connect the video cable to the cable from the LCD

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OEM style mirror. I opted for no home link. Too costly IMHO.

Mirror has the following leads:
1) ACC +12V
2) Ground
3) Backup signal - this one is useless. No matter what I put on that lead it did nothing. More on that later
4) 2 video leads. 1 for Camera. This one counts. The other one is useless. I couldn't get it to work. It is supposed to give you an alternate video feed e.g. DVD input; allow you to switch between camera and Aux input.

Wedge mount
- You can choose any mirror you like. As long as it has a wedge mount it will work.

mirror.JPG mirror box.jpg mirrror back.JPG mirror wires.JPG

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Camera from eBay

You can't see in the pictures but the wire from the camera has 2 leads. 1 for the power cable and another for the video connection.

Camera works fine but fit is not perfect. The bulb socket will not screw back onto this housing. It's ok. The light can be zip tied to the camera cable to hold it in place. Also need to reuse the old foam seal from the old licence light housing.

camera.JPG camera_1.jpg camera 3.jpg camera_power_cable.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mirror Removal

These pics were from a chinese forum:
Remove OEM.jpg Wedge Mount.jpg

When you use the screwdriver you are trying to lift the plastic tab/catch at the base of the mirror. See pic below.
tab on oem mirror.jpg

Below is what the new mirror looks like.
backup camera 009.jpg backup camera 008.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Routing of the mirror cable to the kick panel.

Watch out for the caulking in the weatherstripping. Get that on the headliner and you'll be scrubbing. Hard to get out of the mesh.

Tuck the cables under the headliner. Go under the A pillar.
backup camera 012.jpg backup camera 010.jpg backup camera 037.jpg

Remove lower door trim.
backup camera 016.jpg

Remove plastic nut for the kick panel.
backup camera 014.jpg

Kick panel underside. Clip that holds to the weatherstripping.
backup camera 018.jpg

Harnesses under the kick panel.
backup camera 019.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Avoiding the side curtain airbag.

When routing the cable for the mirror it is tempting to route the wire across the A pillar following the top of the trim. You MUST NOT DO THIS. You will cut right across the airbag. You must route down the A pillar to avoid the airbag.

A Pillar.JPG Airbag location.png

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wiring up the mirror.

Mirror has 3 leads:
- Red ACC
- Black ground
- Green backup signal. This one is useless. Just ignore it

Virtually any white/black wire in the kick panel harness is ground. Attach white/black to the black mirror lead.

I tried and tried to find an ACC wire. I used the pink wire inside the big 76pin connector (see pic).

You DO NOT have to find the REVERSE SIGNAL unless you have the autodim version of the mirror. Repeat: REVERSE SIGNAL is not useful. Your mirror LCD will activate once it gets a video signal. The camera will send a signal once it is powered by the reverse light. All posts I read tell you to find a reverse signal. I don't know why. It was not used at all in my solution and it was a total waste of time to look for it.

EDIT: in hindsight I should have routed connections to the passenger side. under the glove box there are several ECUs. all would have ACC. I went to the drivers side for the reverse signal which again is USELESS.

EDIT: I found this on another site:
Reverse Light red wire on driver kick, white 76 pin plug, pin 41. Can not confirm.

EDIT: found out the reverse signal is used to turn OFF the autodim when you are reversing. you connect reverse to the Backup wire of the mirror. If you don't have autodim reverse doesn't matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Routing the video cable to the back of the car.

Very easy. Just tuck under the headliner all the way to the back.

When you get to the back pull the weatherstripping to reach under the rubber boot.

The hard part is fitting the video cable head through the boot. Very tight fit. After I did it I found I ruined the video connection. Tested it and not signal went through. I had to cut the connector and splice on another one.

EDIT: so don't do it like I did. push the video cable end from the top of the rubber boot down instead of pulling it up. The pulling prob stretched the cable and ruined it.

backup camera 031.jpg backup camera 035.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Removing all the rear trim panels and garnish.

This was time consuming.

Pictures are from the chinese forum post. I was too busy to take pics while doing this. plus I need 2 hands most of the time.

I should note this. Fitting the camera was tricky. You have to unscrew the camera from the license plate light housing. Fit the camera through the garnish. Reinstall the garnish. Then screw the camera back on. There is no way to put the garnish on which the camera is still attached to it's housing. The downward angle makes this impossible.

back camera.jpg rear garnish front.jpg rear garnish removed.jpg rear garnish underside.jpg tail lights.jpg Trim pieces front.jpg Trim pieces removed.jpg Trim pieces underside.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tapping the rear signal light wires.

Easy peasy. Red is positive.

Picture is from another post on this forum. In the picture the leads from the bulb are white. If you go a bit further back from the bulb there is another connector. The wires there are colored red and light grey. Use those. Easier to tell +/-.

tapping the rear signal light-001.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Tip for putting the garnish on.

Put a piece of tap under the weather seal. Then after the garnish is on you can pull the tape to pull the strip back over the garnish. Otherwise the weather seal will be under the garnish and that is a NO NO. Water will get in.

backup camera 030.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Winter hit here. Snow started falling. About a week or so ago the camera started fogging up, esp in the morning. Seems to be better once the car sits outside for a while. Prob the temperature inside the housing equalizing with ambient. The camera is supposed to be sealed but I'm guessing there is air in there that is condensing. I can still see with it but it is foggy.

EDIT: after a week the camera is now clear as day 1. guess it took a while for the inside to adjust to the temperature.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Tip for putting the garnish on.

Put a piece of tap under the weather seal. Then after the garnish is on you can pull the tape to pull the strip back over the garnish. Otherwise the weather seal will be under the garnish and that is a NO NO. Water will get in.

This tip is good, I was confused how to get that weather seal up when I did an install. I found they mention to use a piece of string taped to one side and run under the lip to the other side and tape it off there to hold. Just pull the string when finished. Similar to the tape but maybe even a little easier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good idea with the string. Problem is getting the string to sit in place while putting the rear trim back on. The tape might have the advantage here. And even with tape it was hard to keep it in place. The dust on the car makes it difficult to keep the tape on.

This tip is good, I was confused how to get that weather seal up when I did an install. I found they mention to use a piece of string taped to one side and run under the lip to the other side and tape it off there to hold. Just pull the string when finished. Similar to the tape but maybe even a little easier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts