Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried to swap out the rear license plate light and fog lights on the older models to the newer oem LED's the 2014 Ct comes with? I have a 2013 F Sport model and I was wondering if it was a direct swap without any mods. I tried asking my local Lexus dealer today but all they said was they wasn't sure. Some BS IMO

·
Registered
990 Posts
Has anybody tried to swap out the rear license plate light and fog lights on the older models to the newer oem LED's the 2014 Ct comes with? I have a 2013 F Sport model and I was wondering if it was a direct swap without any mods. I tried asking my local Lexus dealer today but all they said was they wasn't sure. Some BS IMO
I doubt it. Too soon. As far as license plate lights just get smd led wedge bulb off eBay or Amazon. Much cheaper and same look.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
842 Posts
I don't think it is BS on their part. They just have a lot more important things on their plate than catering to enthusiasts. If you ever get lucky enough to get a parts manager or service tech that is also a car enthusiast, then you are in fat city, but otherwise, to many, it is just a job. They don't love the car, they just work on it, and part of their job does not require that they check interchangeability of parts. If the part breaks, they ask for another one and they get it from the parts department, no analysis or thought involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt it. Too soon. As far as license plate lights just get smd led wedge bulb off eBay or Amazon. Much cheaper and same look.

Yeah I thought about getting led's off of those sites .. I was looking at the Slyvania led but I wanted to go with oem parts so I wouldn't have to worry about flickering and stuff ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it is BS on their part. They just have a lot more important things on their plate than catering to enthusiasts. If you ever get lucky enough to get a parts manager or service tech that is also a car enthusiast, then you are in fat city, but otherwise, to many, it is just a job. They don't love the car, they just work on it, and part of their job does not require that they check interchangeability of parts. If the part breaks, they ask for another one and they get it from the parts department, no analysis or thought involved.
Yeah your right.. They even asked the tech guys but they just came back to me and told me that they have no idea if it would fit or not.. I was a little disappointed .. I guess I'm just going to have to take a chance and buy the parts to see if it really plug and play..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having done this mod (2014 LED fogs onto a 2011) I can say that it does work and is a very easy swap - plug and play. One thing I did notice is that the lens on the new fogs doesn't protrude out as much and so there's a slight gap between the lens and the bumper. New fogs are much brighter and do a better job of illuminating the side of the road - look great too! Would suggest you check to make sure they are aimed properly after install.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Having done this mod (2014 LED fogs onto a 2011) I can say that it does work and is a very easy swap - plug and play. One thing I did notice is that the lens on the new fogs doesn't protrude out as much and so there's a slight gap between the lens and the bumper. New fogs are much brighter and do a better job of illuminating the side of the road - look great too! Would suggest you check to make sure they are aimed properly after install.
Isn't the point of "fog lights" to be a narrow pencil thin beam that will penetrate the "fog" and not spread around to be reflected by it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Isn't the point of "fog lights" to be a narrow pencil thin beam that will penetrate the "fog" and not spread around to be reflected by it?
I'd say that is inaccurate. Fog lights are positioned lower to try and illuminate the road from as low as possible and minimize the glare off the fog. In that regard, as wide a beam as possible (albeit with a proper height cut off) is more advantageous as it illuminates more of the road.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yeah I thought about getting led's off of those sites .. I was looking at the Slyvania led but I wanted to go with oem parts so I wouldn't have to worry about flickering and stuff ..
Why would there be flickering? I have LED fogs, no flickering at all. You only get flickering in daytime running light applications at they are computer controlled.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'd say that is inaccurate. Fog lights are positioned lower to try and illuminate the road from as low as possible and minimize the glare off the fog. In that regard, as wide a beam as possible (albeit with a proper height cut off) is more advantageous as it illuminates more of the road.

That makes sense. I just think that most "fog lights" on modern cars are really driving lights and are on the car for cosmetic purposes. They don't often have the sharp cut off at the height that fog lights should and so the wider the beam, the more annoying to oncoming drivers. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing the color of the LED lights since I use them all the time, and I don't remember the last time we had fog in South Florida at any time that I am awake and driving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The sylvania LEDriving 194/168 bulbs lasted about 2 months. For $11/each, it wasn't worth it to keep replacing them. I'm now on a pair of cheap LED bulbs from amazon. If these don't last then I don't care to have the look for the cost.

Im not sure if it was the cold weather or the repeated trauma from closing the trunk.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The sylvania LEDriving 194/168 bulbs lasted about 2 months. For $11/each, it wasn't worth it to keep replacing them. I'm now on a pair of cheap LED bulbs from amazon. If these don't last then I don't care to have the look for the cost.

Im not sure if it was the cold weather or the repeated trauma from closing the trunk.
My cheap eBay ones have been going 2 years strong. There is certainly no trauma in closing the trunk. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts