Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ODB2 Adapter comparison for modifying car settings & running check engine diagnostics

The two main adapters I hear mentioned on the forums are Carista:

And the ScanGauge II:

Does anyone have experience with these or other ODBII adapters for the 200H?

I am specifically interested in one that can modify car options (ie. reverse beep, seatbelt beep), but also one that can run diagnostics. If an iPhone or tablet is required, iOS compatible is better, though I suppose I could jailbreak/dual boot my iPhone if needed.

It seems that the Carista has more features with its Android/iOS (iPhone) interface, but it also seems intuitive that with more direct wiring, Scangauge would be less prone to interfacing issues.

I have also heard mention of the ELM327 and BAFX, but not as often, and more in the context of trouble shooting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up the BAFX and connected it to Carista through my Android phone in minutes. Super simple and everything worked as advertised from both the connector and software. Made a few changes with zero issues. I know the cheaper ELM's work most of the time, but I figured a few extra dollars for what I believe is a higher quality scanner was worth the price for my piece of mind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Vgate iCar Wireless (802.11). It works pretty well with my iPhone using Vgate's free APP, "Accurate". https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/accurate/id953997835?mt=8

I'd categorize it as a cheap alternative (about $30). It works well, but sometimes it does not want to connect so I need to turn app off, wifi off, then back on, and then it seems to work. And I haven't figured out how to do half the stuff with it, like monitoring fuel consumption, or adding all vehicle details. And not sure if all features work. I tried diagnostics, but not sure it worked.
But it is great for Tachometer, MPH, temperatures, MAF, ignition advance, and MAP.

If you have Droid, their Bluetooth version works with an app called "Torque".

·
380 Posts
I have a ScanGauge and a wifi OBD2 reader that I use with Carista on iOS. Carista is best for making adjustments that are otherwise unavailable to end users. You can do those on the ScanGauge, but they require programming the codes and it's a little clunkier.

The app plus OBD reader is also cheaper, it'll come in under $50 all in.

The ScanGauge, however, is excellent if you want something always plugged in to use for constant monitoring or other gauge options. It excels there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone tried using Carista to customize their Lexus? That would be great if that works. I'd like to set defrost to NOT use AC. When fogged windows turn to frosted windows it make me nostalgic for the good old daze of buttons that do what you tell it to do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have been using carista for about 18 months now and its a great piece of software to have on your phone.
you can buy cheap and expensive elm 327 adapters ,dont go for the more expensive option thinking you will have a better product
as elm 327 is the chipset name so as long as the chipset versions are the same so will the capabilities .

·
Registered
414 Posts
FYI - the Carista is not available to Canadians, yet. They said maybe in a few weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts