Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am concerned about the puncture resistance of the synthetic material. Particularly from dog nails. I have not been able to see and feel the nuluxe in person. My dealer only has a leather demo.

Before looking at the Lexus I checked out the MB GLK which also has synthetic leather called MBtex. This material is very thick and sometimes called taxi leather. Talking to the MB salesman, he said he has seen 20 year old cars with MBtex that still looks like new.

I realize there has not been much time to see real problems, but what is everyone's gut feel?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
give the dog a pedicure !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in theory, true. in reality, false. dang dog has daggers. guess the real solution would be to make the CT a dog free zone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife will use this car most of the time. We own a small yorkie (lap dog) with pretty sharp nails. Currently when my wife takes the dog to the groomer, pick up the kids from school, go to the park, etc, she will take the dog with her. The dog usually sits on the front seat and causes no issues. But I am concerned that with the nuluxe or even leather, the nails will cause damage. We could always use the small cage to transport the dog, but this would out of the norm for them.

Bottom line, I hate to be afraid to use a car in fear of damaging it.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
U can fit 10 Yorkies in the space behind the rear seat !

On a serious note the Nuluxe appears to be pretty hardwiring. However, sharp claws and exacto blades will do a job on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since I'm guessing your wife likes to have the dog with her, so never letting him/her in the car probably isn't an option - nor would the having them relegated to the trunk area.

A simple solution may be to simply carry a small blanket in the car to throw on the seat when the dog is riding shotgun. If for any reason the dog feels like they are sliding (sudden stop, etc...) they will probably instinctively put their nails out, and grabbing onto a blanket will probably do less damage than them grabbing onto your new seats. If you want to get real involved in it - they do make booster-esque seat which also keeps them from bouncing around the car and off the seat.

Just somethings to consider.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those dog car seat hammocks might work, although it looks like the dog would have to be in the back seat. Amazon sells them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the Nuluxe is maintenance-free and more durable than leather. I have it and it seems pretty durable. With the yorkie being a small and light dog, I think you'd be ok, but a doggie booster with a little harness would keep the seats intact and be safer for the doggie.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if it is as durable as leather then the dog should not be a problem i have a 50lb aussie who is on my leather furniture all the time and no signs of ware also has riden in all my cars with leather again no problem

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kaydee, thanks for the advice. i think for safety it is best to keep the dog in the hatch area using a short tether.

baxter57, i see from your signature that you have nuluxe. have you ever had your aussie in the CT?

·
Registered
75 Posts
yes he rides we me every sunday for our romp in the park he enjoys the ct over the fourrunner as it is easier in and out and he can see out the window when he is laying down

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have German Shepherds... they would like a little more head room as it's hard on their ears :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've had dogs in my cars with leather for years, as well as on my leather furniture at home with no problem. But the CT has perforated leather. Nulxe is thinner, seems like it would be easier to scratch through. My husband has the perforated leather in his ES and has a very small tear between the perforations. No one knows how it got there. (he looks at my cocker suspiciously).

Bottom line, get which one you want. We purchased a travel seat for long trips. I don't want it there all the time and it's too much trouble to use on a short trip. Go for the doggie seat cover idea. They have elastic that slips over the headrest and are made to slip on/off easily. Check out Dr. Fosters & Smith for loads of options (front & back seat).

My dog occasionally rides with me. I don't care how much the car costs.:D
I'm going for the leather!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would probably go with the blanket, much easier to put in and take out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My partner in crime, my 6 lb chewey goes with me to the park, to get his nails clipped. He sit in a little doggy bed with a towel inside on the passenger side. Before that he just stand on the leather or lay down on it. Never ruined it, but I sense he got cold on it. He will roam of the CT when it arrives.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts