Lexus CT200h Forums banner

NuLux or Leather?

Tags
leather nulux
77K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  bosk 
#1 · (Edited)
I've only been able to view and test drive one CT to this point and I'm very interested. The one I drove had the NuLuxe synthetic (vinyl?) seats. It seems supple enough with an interesting surface texture, but I'm worried about it being hot in warm weather and not breathing well enough to keep perspiration to a comfortable level. I've been a leather guy for a number of years and remember how hot and sweaty (early) vinyls were. Since it's winter, we may not be able to tell for a while.

I've got to try out NuLuxe and Leather side by side before I try to make my decision on which to order. You can't order the Leather package without first getting the Premium Audio Package ($1330 & $1125 respectively), so it would be quite a jump up if leather is the final choice.

This is the first Lexus I've considered (being an Acura guy), so I don't know if Lexus has used this NuLuxe material in a vehicle before. If so, what is the general consensus? If not, what are every one's thoughts on the synthetic seat covering vs. leather?

#4 ·
I could not find a leather version anywhere in Orange County. There just aren't any here.

You're right, we don't know how the Nuluxe is going to hold up or feel come this summer. But for the $2500 Lexus wants in these parts to add leather (includes LED headlamps), I figure if it's that bad, I could replace the Nuluxe with aftermarket leather.

#6 ·
lexus is dumb.. =/ why they make different configurations for different regions..
I want leather package without navigation but I can't have it here in CA..
I really don't like the navigation.. it seems like this mouse thing is hard to use.. and also dangerous.. you have to stare at it to use it.. please correct me if I am wrong..

#8 ·
I prefer the grey leather. It all depends on the color interior your want. I notice the black NuLuxe looks like a dark grey compared to the black dashboard.

#9 ·
the Remote Touch Lexus uses is the most intuitive infotainment system on the market. Much better then BMW's iDrive.

Its ergonomically safer too as it allows you to not have to reach-over to access the nav screen. The controls are right where you rest your hand anyway. AND with the haptic feed-back in the mouse-control, you can FEEL where the control is on the screen as the mouse positively-"engages" itself over the buttons on the screen. You have to try it to see. Its remarkable really.

#11 ·
Yeah, it kinda sucks that you can't find what you want in your area. I kinda settled for the Nu Luxe, but I think I will be happy with it anyway.

Of course, you can order one, but who wants to wait for 8-16 more weeks for a 2011 model. I still think it's crazy that the CT was released this late in the year as a 2011 model i/o 2012. Maybe it's just me... ;-p

#12 ·
Of course, you can order one, but who wants to wait for 8-16 more weeks for a 2011 model. I still think it's crazy that the CT was released this late in the year as a 2011 model i/o 2012. Maybe it's just me... ;-p
It's not just you. It should have been a 2012. Lexus has used the next year for other models they have released in Feburary or March. I wonder when the 2012 CT will come out.

#14 ·
Yep, that was the only plus I could think of for us as the consumer. ;-)

Dkid: It doesn't make much sense, but what can you do. I asked same thing. Hmmm, so that means the 2012 models will be out in a few months. That's pretty annoying.

#17 ·
^ +1. Will definitely affect resale value. Oh well, we needed a new car ASAP.

To the OP: I would definitely pick up real leather as the NuLuxe seats felt and looked really synthetic. Nothing beats real leather.

#18 ·
Bump. All you CTers with NuLux, are you still happy with it? Do the back of your legs get all sweaty on hot days? Those with leather, how's it holding up?

I would order leather, but at the moment I'm partial to the Caramel NuLux interior. Wish they had Caramel in leather, would've made my choice a lot easier.

#22 ·
Nuluxe might actually be more durable. Those that own leather can observe that years of getting in and out of the car causes the tanning color to dissipate making it look worn. So depending on how long you are keeping the car it might make sense to also periodically use leather dressing to keep the leather supple.

#23 ·
I had never owned anything other than leather until my fire agate pearl w/ecru nulux. I absolutely love the nulux so far! The only thing that irritates me is that I am trying to find out if the seat memory can be fitted to the nulux driver's seat. It is only offered on the leather and would be a great feature.

#29 ·
Agreed on both counts. I'm crazy about NuLuxe, but nearly passed it up for leather and seat memory. I'm glad I didn't though. Having driven on it for a while, I much, much prefer NuLuxe to leather....but I've paid for seat memory if I could have, in a heartbeat.

FWIW, my mother drives a fully loaded "grown-up" Lexus, and she was flabbergasted by how much better she likes the NuLuxe. Far be it from me to disagree with my mother. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
I chose the leather over the NuLuxe. Neither my wife or I particularly liked the feel of the NuLuxe. I've only had the car about a week now, but am very happy with the leather. The quality feels superior to what I have in my Honda Ridgeline and also what I had in my Ford Expedition. Still new though, so will have to wait and see how it wears.

#30 ·
Acura guy here too, still love my current 2010 TL. Always been a leather only guy too. Well we got the CT and loved the caramel interior, only available in NuLuxe. So far we are really happy with it. Comfortable, feels good, easy to keep clean, and everyone else thinks it's leather anyway. I've been pleasantly surprised.

#32 · (Edited)
I like the Nuluxe

I have had Leather before and the seat heats my body up too much on a hot day, the Nuluxe is cooler. I have had other autos mostly leather and the Nuluxe seems to get less sweaty than leather in other cars, except maybe the Alvantra leather I had in an IS-300. The Nuluxe is nice and cool and doesn't seem to trap heat like fabrics do.

Most leather is perforated which in my oinion looks worse and is harder to clean. I like the Nuluxe because it is not perforated and is one half the weight of leather. The CT air conditioner is very strong, I have just tested it on a couple of 102 degree days and coolng seats are not required too stay cool.And cooling sets which aren ot need require the perfORation for air flow.

Also leather doesn't wear very well and I expect the Nuluxe to wear much better!

In summary,

(1) Nuluxe is solid and easier to clean.
(2) Nuluxe should wear better than leather.
(3) Nuluxe seems cooler than leather and does not reatin heat like fabric.
(4) Nuluxe weighs half as much as leather.
(5) Nuuxe saved me $1330 AT INTIAL PURCHASE.

NULUXE WINS BY A KNOCK-OUT!!! :cool:

#33 ·
Interesting this thread has been going for so long and still very divergent opinions (other than that memory should be offered with nulux)!
Not to beat a dead horse, but, are the leather and nulux motors/functionality the same? If so, why can't the nulux be retrofitted with memory? I realize the mirror and steering wheel memory might be a different subject, but if the motors are the same, it should be doable? Please chime in with any thoughts.

#35 · (Edited)
Yes it is options packaging

Yes sir, it is possible along with rain sensing wipers . These are both packaged options that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with whether the seat "covering" is Leather or Nuluxe.

If you could find a skilled Lexus mechanic ( or some of the more adventurous people on this forum :rolleyes:) with a shop manual and you are willing to pay the $$$, it could be done! and the mirror an steering wheel settings could be added.

#37 ·
we just got our ct. we walked into a dealership in IL and 3 days later they called us on a premium car without leather. we wanted leather but really wanted the car so we took it. initially i was put off at the thought of not getting leather. we have leather in a bmw and volvo. the bmw held up really well (16 years), volvo holding up well also but there are a few cracks, worn looking areas, etc.

with that background… we really like the nulux. it's actually cooler that leather. it wipes clean really well. one thing, sweat (i know, gross) does tend to leave a mark but it wipes away really well. we have black nulux and it really is cooler than leather to us. and it's so much easier to clean than leather.

we justify not having leather by thinking it's somehow better for the environment. but in reality we wanted leather, got nulux and like the nulux.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.