Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Interesting. I've been flashed before (by both oncoming drivers and women :)) and appreciate the gesture (especially the latter one!), but I don't know if I've ever done it, just for that exact risk and reason....getting caught doing it. If you're going to speed, you need to be smart about it or better yet, have a good radar detector. I get no benefit to flashing oncoming drivers and run the risk of getting caught, so I just don't do it. Not against what you did and glad you won actually, pretty funny the cop got pissed because you blew his cover! Here in MA, if there's ever a cop, you know ahead of time, because you see all the brake lights in front of you!

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
FHP Sued After Drivers Ticketed For Flashing Headlights - Traffic News Story - WPLG Miami

Got caught flashing my headlights to warn my fellow drivers on the highway last year....big class action lawsuit in force now...this is the second time I have been on TV for this this year...also, in numerous newspaper articles as well about this recently
I use to do the same thing when I was younger. Now when it's a 55 speed limit and I am doing 60 and someone comes blowing by me doing 90, well I feel like that person is risking me and my families safety. Am I wrong in thinking that way? I mean, do you see how many accidents there are and the guilty person walks away while the innocent ones are sometimes the ones that die in the accident? I realize by me doing 5 mph over the speed limit that I too am breaking the law, so where is the fine line?
BTW......there's not many days that go by that someone isn't doing 80-90 mph in a 55 speed limit zone and I am wishing I were a cop right at that moment. So are we right in warning those that might not care about our safety?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Although I understand what you are saying.. It still doesnt make it right that the FHP is issuing tickets for people who do CHOOSE to warn other drivers by flashing their headlights.

Back to your question.. you could also look at flashing your headlights as a way of slowing down individuals who may be traveling at unsafe speeds? After all, what's a speeder going to do when he sees flashing headlights? :)

Nice job, Bondguy.. not enough people (myself included) stand up to the law when necessary

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like FHP is using this for a revenue generator.
The purpose of radar is to slow traffic.
Flashing the headlights slows traffic. Job done.
We don't issue tickets for this in Texas.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Agreed. Plain and simple revenue generation.

Can you explain why you DON'T have this in Texas??!?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought the purpose of radar was to catch those that are breaking the speed limit. I've never heard of radar being used to slow traffic ( what percentage of drivers use a radar detector?) Normally when the troopers want to slow traffic they park right in the middle of the highway where they can be seen.
I don't want to argue here......I just don't see what the difference is when your letting the guy that is breaking the law know that there are police right around the turn. How is it any different than yelling in the broken window to the guys taken the jewelry that the cops are coming? :D
BTW Dozer.....I do really enjoy your posts.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't speed that much...if so, only on highways and never more than 5 or 10 MPH over....the speed limit on most highways down here is at least 65 MPH and the Turnpike is at 70 MPH...in my CT200h, not sure that it would go much faster (lol). However, someone touched upon the reason we are fighting this situation. Thousands of people get tickets for flashing headlights...frankly, I can't stand the people who use their flasher's (hazard lights) in the rain to try to be more visible...that is against the law and I find it annoying. The main point is...whether you agree it is slowing people down or not...it shouldn't be a $130 ticket for flashing lights...it shouldn't be a ticket period. The FHP and all police departments KNOW it is not the interpretation of that statute and yet people get a ticket for this and feel if the cop says it's illegal, it must be and they pay it because there are no points on your license issued with this ticket...DUH...of course there aren't any points given...they don't want you to fight it...they figure if you just pay it to make it go away, it's easier and most people do...NOT ME. I still flash my lights when I see cops with radar...did it tonight on the way home. It is PURELY A REVENUE GENERATOR for the cops. We will win this case and the state WILL have to pay back MILLIONS of dollars to all the tickets issued over the last however many years...we are getting people joining up the lawsuit from the late 1980's...I love it...if they weren't really about the revenue, they would sit out in the open with their police lights flashing...same slowing down effect but no revenue...hmmm...there's an idea

·
Registered
239 Posts
I thought the purpose of radar was to catch those that are breaking the speed limit. I've never heard of radar being used to slow traffic ( what percentage of drivers use a radar detector?) Normally when the troopers want to slow traffic they park right in the middle of the highway where they can be seen.
I don't want to argue here......I just don't see what the difference is when your letting the guy that is breaking the law know that there are police right around the turn. How is it any different than yelling in the broken window to the guys taken the jewelry that the cops are coming? :D
BTW Dozer.....I do really enjoy your posts.
Well, let's extend the analogy even further. If we're comparing it to helping criminals loot pillage and steal, let's say we're helping a murderer escape a crime scene, or heck, even further let's say we're helping Al Quaeda and terrorists bomb the world trade center by flashing our lights?

Me. I speed. So do you I'd bet. Pretty much everyone does. If the speed limit is 65, I'll usually hit cruise control and do 72-75mpg. And I'd be glad for a warning from a fellow driver about an upcoming speed trap.

Does driving 72mph in a 65mph zone equate to helping terrorists? Or someone looting from a store?

Not in my book.

·
Registered
17 Posts
frankly, I can't stand the people who use their flasher's (hazard lights) in the rain to try to be more visible...that is against the law and I find it annoying
OMG yes. I wish they'd be ticketed. And made to stand outside their vehicles in the rain. Tow them if they're doing it in the left lane. :mad:

As for FHP, yes, it's nothing more than a revenue generator. But Florida has no law against this specific type of activity, and even if we did, it probably wouldn't pass judicial review.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is NOT illegal in Ontario, Canada to flash one's lights.

Your actions, however, attract attention to you, which might lead to unintended consequences. I.e., the police see you, pull you over, and find you without your license which you forgot in your other pants, or that you have a crack in your windshield, or some other ticketable offense.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
bondguy;1645095...frankly said:
Houston is very flat and sometimes it rains very heavy causing flash flooding and pockets of water on freeways. People put on their flasher when ther are water pockets (bad hydroplaning) on the freeway ... This is a good use of flashers in the rain

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, let's extend the analogy even further. If we're comparing it to helping criminals loot pillage and steal, let's say we're helping a murderer escape a crime scene, or heck, even further let's say we're helping Al Quaeda and terrorists bomb the world trade center by flashing our lights?

Me. I speed. So do you I'd bet. Pretty much everyone does. If the speed limit is 65, I'll usually hit cruise control and do 72-75mpg. And I'd be glad for a warning from a fellow driver about an upcoming speed trap.

Does driving 72mph in a 65mph zone equate to helping terrorists? Or someone looting from a store?

Not in my book.
Like I said, where is the fine line?
BTW....I already said I speed. I pleeeeed Guilty!:p

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Houston is very flat and sometimes it rains very heavy causing flash flooding and pockets of water on freeways. People put on their flasher when ther are water pockets (bad hydroplaning) on the freeway ... This is a good use of flashers in the rain
Makes sense to me. Way better than the Massholes up here who don't even turn on their headlights on dark rainy days, you can't even see them on the highway! Makes no sense....

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
It is PURELY A REVENUE GENERATOR for the cops. We will win this case and the state WILL have to pay back MILLIONS of dollars to all the tickets issued over the last however many years...we are getting people joining up the lawsuit from the late 1980's...I love it...if they weren't really about the revenue, they would sit out in the open with their police lights flashing...same slowing down effect but no revenue...hmmm...there's an idea
Sorry bondguy, I disagree. I'll admit, I speed, though I've never gotten a speeding ticket as I was smart about it (if that's the right description) and I also use a good radar detector. I really don't speed as much in the CT as it just doesn't have that power my last car had.

So you don't think they give tickets to penalize those that speed, making them pay a big fine and question whether or not speeding is worth it? Paying a fine and getting points on your records sucks, as then your car insurance goes up, so speeding gets very expensive. And you don't think it's to protect those that don't speed and reduce the # of fatalities on the roads? Like they say, "speed kills"...the more you go above the speed limit, it takes a lot longer to stop or slow down your car and the faster you're going during impact, the higher chance of bodily and internal injuries.

If a cop were to sit on the side of the road w/ his lights on to slow traffic, yeah, they won't get revenue, but in turn, once they drive past that cop, they go onto speeding and there are no lessons learned and people will continue to speed.

That's my $0.02 and I'm curious as to what others think.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Speed doesn't kill, poor drivers do.

For example, in Germany where they have no speed limits on much of the autobahn, you would expect that if speed kills, their number of fatalities per mile would be higher than ours. Maybe double, or more?

But it's the opposite, our fatality rate is over TWICE theirs.

If we go purely by the numbers, then we need to remove the speed limits here to save lives. =]

But honestly it's about education and driver training.

Here, they'll let any moron drive, the 'drivers test' is absolutely stupid easy, and people cheat on it all the time. I know this, because my Dad worked for the DMV for over 20 years and I saw it pretty much every day as a kid growing up and hanging around the DMV after school.

For example, this one Russian guy would come in very often and take the written test for some illegal who didn't understand even the most basic of questions, couldn't read the road signs, etc.

On the other hand, in Germany, it costs over $1000 to get a license, and you go through some pretty decent training.

So to me, this is just the government nanny state covering up it's own incompetence in letting uneducated and dangerous drivers on the road behind the wheel of a very lethal 2 ton vehicle.

The drivers here are just astoundingly ignorant. I see SUV drivers and pickup truck drivers just change lanes blindly all the time without a care in the world, because their big gas guzzling 2.5 ton POS will keep them 'safe' when they crash into a 3000lb CT200h or Prius. Of course, it's not true, those vehicles in general handle very poorly, like to flip over, they're top heavy, overweight, etc.

Speed doesn't kill, poor drivers do.

Stats: "According to the statistics collected by the International Traffic Safety Data and Analysis Group,[9] there were 2.2 road user fatalities per billion vehicle kilometers on German autobahns in 2008. Neighboring countries with available data include Belgium (4.2 in 2007), the Netherlands (2.1 in 2009), Denmark (2.5), Austria (4.2), Switzerland (1.2), and France (1.8). Using the same statistic, 4.5 fatalities have occurred in the United States on motorways."

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry bondguy, I disagree. I'll admit, I speed, though I've never gotten a speeding ticket as I was smart about it (if that's the right description) and I also use a good radar detector. I really don't speed as much in the CT as it just doesn't have that power my last car had.

So you don't think they give tickets to penalize those that speed, making them pay a big fine and question whether or not speeding is worth it? Paying a fine and getting points on your records sucks, as then your car insurance goes up, so speeding gets very expensive. And you don't think it's to protect those that don't speed and reduce the # of fatalities on the roads? Like they say, "speed kills"...the more you go above the speed limit, it takes a lot longer to stop or slow down your car and the faster you're going during impact, the higher chance of bodily and internal injuries.

If a cop were to sit on the side of the road w/ his lights on to slow traffic, yeah, they won't get revenue, but in turn, once they drive past that cop, they go onto speeding and there are no lessons learned and people will continue to speed.

That's my $0.02 and I'm curious as to what others think.
People who speed are going to speed...there's no argument there. I have a problem with the cops telling me it's illegal when it isn't (to flash my lights). It's my First Amendment right to communicate with others...not just by voice but it covers all forms of communication. What's next? If you give up your freedoms that easily and allow these cops to charge you for something that isn't illegal or against the law, that's WRONG. My whole problem with this is they (the cops) know they are misusing the statute for a monetary benefit and that to me is an injustice...especially in today's times when money is harder to earn and keep. Just because I flash to warn of a cop on the side of the road....doesn't mean everyone coming towards me is speeding...it's just a friendly gesture to alert them there is law enforcement hiding...same way a CB radio is used by a trucker or a radar detector is used to warn you about cops. In Florida, radar detectors are NOT illegal to use...and, they are only made for ONE reason.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is NOT illegal in Ontario, Canada to flash one's lights.
Depends... there have been a few cases that were thrown out in the case of "obstruction of justice" but if you look in the HTA, it states....

"Use of passing beam
168. When on a highway at any time when lighted lamps are required to be displayed on vehicles, the driver of a motor vehicle equipped with multiple beam headlamps shall use the lower or passing beam when,
(a) approaching an oncoming vehicle within 150 metres; or
(b) following another vehicle within 60 metres, except when in the act of overtaking and passing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 168."

So techically, unless you are more than 150 metres away from the cars you are warning of the speed trap... this could warrant a ticket.

A cop could argue that the driver warning other drivers was anything less than 150 meters from oncoming traffic with high beams on... and not only on, but flashing, which could be argued to be distracting to oncoming traffic.

Just because a judge dismissed flashing high beams because it was not deemed to be obstructing justice, doesn't make it legal.

Do I flash other drivers? Not usually. I just simply don't normally do it because cops here typically won't pull you over for only going say 70-75km/h in a 60 because they know it will be tossed if taken to court. So they pull over 80s - 90s in a 60 km/h zone... and I'm not entirely against someone getting a ticket for going 90 in a 60.

Besides, running a police department and repairing roads isn't free. That's why I don't understand how anyone can use the "cash grab" as a valid argument of why they shouldn't have gotten a ticket lol Duh, of course it's revenue... You know what else is stupid? Taxes. wtf? Doesn't government money grow on trees? sorry - that comment was not meant to spark a new debate ;)

IMHO, if you want to speed, go ahead, just don't endanger me or my family. If you want to warn others of speeding, go ahead - but when you get caught doing something that you KNOW is against the law, just STFU and pay the ticket. Believe me, I have had be share of dealings with cops... so I'm not a clean as a whistle, law-is-god personality... but if you take the risk, you have to accept the consequences without putting too much strain on an already stretched legal system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts