Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just passed the 13 week wait mark and decided to give my dealer a call and see if they have heard anything new about it.

The manager called me back and told me there's an allocation of CT's scheduled in the next few weeks, but he has no idea how many are slated for the North East, my dealer, let alone special order fills...........then he broke the news to me. 4-6 MONTHS before I can expect to see it. He said there's over 25 people on the waiting list and the ones on the bottom can expect to wait over A YEAR!

I was not planning to purchase until July, so until now I've been perfectly content waiting for it. But if I have to wait ANOTHER 24 weeks, I think the CT may not happen.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
What!? Where is the northeast are you located and what dealer did you buy from? I see you're asking for the LED option. My original order, placed 4/13 included LED lights, premium sound and remote start. 3 weeks after I ordered it, the dealer called me to tell me if I keep the LED's, my delivery would likely not have been until October/November, but if I stick with standard headlights, I would be in it June or July. Needless to say, I got rid of the LED option after reading about the very affordable HID kits for this car $45-$60 and decided not to get the LED's.

I took delivery on the car on 6/7 as a result. Just something you might want to look into man.

Good luck!

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a bunch of B.S.!!!!! No car dealer has the foresight of predicting the invitory for 1 year let alone 3 months. Don't u think Lexus is currently producing more cars right now to fill all these orders!! They want to sell cars to make money. That's what businesses do!! A lot of dealers are not taking orders right now because they don't have the info on the 2012 yet. I wish they'd stop playing this game with everyone!! One year wait for a $35k car? That is funny. It only takes 6 months for a Ferrari and their engines are made by hand!! I believe all this waiting will be done by October. Imoh.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting, I just got an e-mail from the local dealership saying that I could see one in September. But from what I've heard, you guys were all suckered in too. Then again... I will only be purchasing a base model.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You may remember there was a severe earth quake and subsequent tsunami in Japan earlier this year. Lots of damage, lots of human suffering. While the Lexus CT factory wasn't hit, many subcontractors were. Up until a number of weeks ago, production was down to 10%. It's reportedly creeping up to 50% now, but many subcontractor production facilities are still more or less in ruins and electricity is rationed, so production will take a while to get up to full speed again.
Up until recently, the CT I ordered at the beginning of April this year went from scheduled to be delivered in July 2011 to January 2012. Only in the last few weeks did the delivery date creep back to October 2011. Many people in my country - most of which have special ordered cars - have the same experience. We're lucky that we have a special web site, set up by the Lexus importer, on which we can check progress on our CT deliveries.
Toyota/Lexus has taken a HUGE dip in both production numbers as well as profits this year, due to the quake/tsunami. I'm sure they're doing what they can to get as many cars out of the door as possible, but it's an insanely costly operation for them at the moment.

All I'm saying is: there was a big disaster in Japan. They're working on it, very hard. Dealers should know more or less what the production planning is, although given the circumstances, obtaining information on hard delivery dates may be a bit tricky. I suggest some understanding is in order.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well put. I agree 100%. I just don't like car dealers speculating wait times when they have no idea!! U and i know more about cars and their company than half of them They make up stories to milk money out of people and to boost their own egos. Not saying all dealers, but many of them. I've been in this game a long time. I see it over and over.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm sorry, but I think as soon as car start becoming available, we'll see dealers asking for a premium over sticker. You may be on the list, but people willing to pay the premium will move ahead of you.

We saw this type of activity with the 2004/2005 Prius.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep. I think you're correct. It sucks for us but it is also smart business. But i hope shortly after that the supply will reach a peak and demand/price will drop. A lot of newer hybrids are entering the market also. Hopefully this will also blunt the premium price. Fingers crossed. :(

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm sorry, but I think as soon as car start becoming available, we'll see dealers asking for a premium over sticker. You may be on the list, but people willing to pay the premium will move ahead of you.

We saw this type of activity with the 2004/2005 Prius.
I agree with you that the dealers will start to put premiums on cars (no, I don't agree they should do it...just that I can see it happening). They are already and have been for months now putting premiums on Prius' in my area...some as much as $4,000 over sticker. The price of clean used cars has gone up a huge amount recently too...especially used hybrids like the Prius.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dealerships in my area (Los Angeles) are putting markups above MSRP on them already. One dealership has a $3500 markup and two others have $5000 chrome wheels upgrades on the cars. Sucks for a buyer like me who is willing to pay MSRP, but not a dollar over or who hates the look of chrome wheels.

·
Registered
245 Posts
"You may remember there was a severe earth quake and subsequent tsunami in Japan earlier this year......"

Agreed. Here's my rant. I'll get it out of my system and then sit back and wait <grin>.

For me at least, it's not the wait so much as the lack of information. If a special website can be set up for European buyers to track the progress of their orders, is it too much to ask to get an update from the dealer? Surely, somebody in Lexus USA must know how many vehicles are scheduled to arrive monthly in each region. It can't be a surprise each month when they arrive. And some sort of regular update from the dealer shouldn't be too much to ask.

It's a good car, worth waiting for. Help me, I am burning up with new car fever:)

I'm on my third Lexus now and this "you will get one when you get one" attitude is very unLexus-like. The dealers are stressed, having limited cars to sell. I understand. Sometimes I feel a lack of interest. I wonder if it is because of the small price tag on this car. When I bought my last three cars, I felt like royalty. I feel for the people of Japan. I will get my car when I get it but good grief, I am, have been and will continue to be a Lexus owner. Having dealt with the same dealership for years, there is a definate difference in this experience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That my friend is exactly the point. U summed it up 100%!!! I don't think u will have to wait for any negative comments on that. if someone does, I personally don't want to hear from them. I won't even start commenting because it will just be paraphrasing from u. I just wish an executive or someone that works for Lexus would read this and some of the other posts written about this lack of information given to so many loyal customers. I mean all we want are some answers to our questions.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I do agree that a lack of information is annoying. But I also believe it's not always easy to provide the information that's required.

I get the impression that the ways in which the US and Euro car markets work are fundamentally different. Whereas in the US, buyers mostly pick from what the dealer/market has in store, European buyers are much more geared to special ordering their car. Therefore, it's much easier for Lexus Europe to be more specific in delivery information on a customer basis.

Given the way the US market seems to work, I wonder what the added value would be of knowing when there will be another shipment of CT's in your area. You still wouldn't know if your car of choice would be among them and how many people would be ahead of you in the queue for that particular car, so the information would be of very little value.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes termin8r, but where am I on the list? Have I moved up at all? How many people are still ahead of me? How many vehicles are expected in this month? (this bit of info is available to the dealers and would at least provide some sort of gauge on my progress). Have I fallen through the cracks?

The way the car market works here is a choice. Holding inventory information close to the vest is a choice. If the info is trackable then it's trackable, regardless of where you are located. Another choice. I got on the list a month ago and was told at that time Lexus was no longer accepting special orders. I was told they already had too many of them and were just going to push out as many cars as they could. Another choice, take what's available or move on.

Not all color combos are available in each market. A huge choice, one that resulted in the need for special orders. All business decisions. I get the distinct impression that selling a $30k car isn't so high on the priority list. Although fully loaded it's just about $40k and to me that's a stack of bills.

I'm just saying....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer has told me I'm at the top of the list. There are two people ahead of me, but they requested a specific color/interior combo. Myself having placed a special order, have put myself in the position I'm in. I have turned down three Grey CT's from them in hopes mine will be built sometime soon, or one as close as possible to mine may come through the door.

My dealer has also told me they are a publicly traded company, and part of their business plan is to never over charge or price gouge. He feels the second they do that, their public image and reputation will be heavily damaged, and investors may not be overly thrilled. The manager said "The internet is a powerful tool for good and bad. We don't want our customers creating negative websites, or bashing us on public forums. That's the type of publicity we DON'T want, especially when we are talking about the lower end of the Lexus lineup. The end that will/has sold better then anything else now a days, and will obviously continue to sell on it's own".
He has assured me, even though there are 20+ people behind me waiting, the price will not go over sticker. I have a signed purchase agreement for my custom built car already, and that's the price I will pay (minus my down payment of course).

I want LED's. It's one of the major sellers on the car for me. I own several cars now with aftermarket HID's and it's just not the same. Plus, I hate how the DRL is broken in 1/2 on the traditional lights.

I do not understand the lack of information either though. My friend ordered a brand new Escalade. From day1 of production, he got updates, pictures, and at one point a recorded video of the live stream camera as his own truck was being assembled. That's cool as hell!! Why can't we get that? Hell, I'll settle for a slightly more accurate "estimated" delivery date.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Boy, don't all the other car companies wish they had Lexus problems. People clamoring for Lexus cars and they can't fill the orders fast enough. Other dealers are swimming in cars they can't move.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone ordered their car in Montreal, Canada? I ordered mine at the end of April and I was told end of June-July would be the earliest. Now they say, end of July even... Can it be longer?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Could be longer. I ordered 03/03 in Ontario (same situation all over Canada) and I still have no ETA.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I cant order one right now in Montreal, dealer on south shore got only 2 trucks of CT200h since march and they werent sold but all gone since everybody is looking for them.....

i will get a 2012 probably december january.............:( even for me its not a problem to wait im not at home till that time this year but still Lexus will loose a lot of sale this way.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts