Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. First post. Couldn't find anything about this issue, but I'm still looking.

I have a 2012 CT with ~60k on the odometer. Ive always gotten ~40mpg on average, with anywhere from 320-370+ miles per tank. The last few tanks' gas mileage have been abysmal, with about 230-250 miles before the low fuel light comes on. Right now my fuel gauge is at half, and Ive gone 120 miles. I'm pretty sure the gas itself has not been the problem. Tire pressure is good. No changes in driving habits or area.

I notice the gas engine doesnt seem to click over to the electric motor as regularly as it had (as indicated by the green EV light popping up in the lower left of the instrument cluster).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i think we'll need a little more info from you to be able to get an answer...

did you buy the car new? how long have you had it?
are you reading your display to see when/if the switch from electric to icm happens?
where do you live? is it crappy cold winter where you are now?

and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I bought the car used in 2015 with ~20k miles, so Ive put ~40k on the odometer.

I am reading the display to see when the switch from electric to icm occurs, and vice versa. Sometimes the green EV light in the lower left of the cluster actuates when the switch from icm to electric occurs, but not always. The power direction diagram in the lower right of the cluster does, however, always seem to indicate a switch from power flowing from the icm to the wheels to power flowing from the battery to the wheels(or power flowing from wheels to battery) when the switch from icm to electric seems to occur, although again the green EV light sometimes also comes on, but sometimes does not. Apologies if that explanation is unclear, or if I'm misunderstanding these indicator lights.

Interestingly, I notice that when the icm is in use, if I very quickly remove my foot from the gas pedal, the green EV light seems to more reliably and immediately come up than when I ease off the gas. I cant remember now if that behavior has always been the case, although my recollection is that the green EV light seemed to more reliably come up in either case before the last few tanks of gas.

I'm in Philadelphia, and yes, we have had a rather cold winter. However, past cold winters haven't seemed to cause any appreciable reductions in fuel economy, though they have been generally milder winters. I too wonder if I'm just seeing the effects of a colder winter, although the drastic drop in fuel economy and the seemingly more random behavior of the green EV light make me wonder if some degradation to the battery has occured over time, or if there is some other gremlin.

No engine lights or codes have been thrown. I dont see any visible fuel line leaks.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
yep philly can be as cold as chicago. so there will be a dip until the warmer weather.

maybe the last couple of winters may have been a little milder than this year? i've noticed that if i'm running the defroster that the ev light will come on less. a result of icm having to run to keep the defroster/heater/ac running.

loss in mpg can also be due to more wheel spin in the snow, etc.

i'll let the more experienced members weigh in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks guys. I bought the car used in 2015 with ~20k miles, so Ive put ~40k on the odometer.

I am reading the display to see when the switch from electric to icm occurs, and vice versa. Sometimes the green EV light in the lower left of the cluster actuates when the switch from icm to electric occurs, but not always. The power direction diagram in the lower right of the cluster does, however, always seem to indicate a switch from power flowing from the icm to the wheels to power flowing from the battery to the wheels(or power flowing from wheels to battery) when the switch from icm to electric seems to occur, although again the green EV light sometimes also comes on, but sometimes does not. Apologies if that explanation is unclear, or if I'm misunderstanding these indicator lights.

Interestingly, I notice that when the icm is in use, if I very quickly remove my foot from the gas pedal, the green EV light seems to more reliably and immediately come up than when I ease off the gas. I cant remember now if that behavior has always been the case, although my recollection is that the green EV light seemed to more reliably come up in either case before the last few tanks of gas.

I'm in Philadelphia, and yes, we have had a rather cold winter. However, past cold winters haven't seemed to cause any appreciable reductions in fuel economy, though they have been generally milder winters. I too wonder if I'm just seeing the effects of a colder winter, although the drastic drop in fuel economy and the seemingly more random behavior of the green EV light make me wonder if some degradation to the battery has occured over time, or if there is some other gremlin.

No engine lights or codes have been thrown. I dont see any visible fuel line leaks.

Thanks again!
What MPG numbers are you getting? Cold weather can impact mileage up to like 15% and it's especially noticeable if you're taking short trips.

During the vast majority of regular driving, the car uses both electric motors (MG1 and MG2) and the combustion engine in tandem. The EV light should only be on when the combustion engine is completely off -- it signifies the car running only on battery.

Go to Autozone and get your 12v battery load tested (it's free). It's in the trunk. I don't think this is the issue, but sometimes the hybrid system inexplicably behaves oddly because of, or can "mask" issues with, the 12v battery.

Just an FYI, this car shares its drivetrain with the 3rd gen Prius. There is a wealth of knowledge and troubleshooting related to it on PriusChat. Try searching there for similar issues, and you may find the fix.

·
381 Posts
As stated above, cold weather can have a significant impact on hybrid performance. The ICE needs to run more often to keep everything at operating temps. If you're running short trips, the engine might never get to operating temp and thus, will not cut over to the electric system at all.
Some have found that blocking the lower grille with pipe insulation helps maintain engine bay temps and has shown improvement overall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Philly, I just joined this forum. I've experienced the same issue for the past 2 months. Have a 2011 purchased new with 88k miles. Drove it cross country in April - Spent a bunch on new tires, fluids, etc. Ever since my fuel efficiency is about 35 mpg. Used to be low 40s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts