Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Obsidian Lexus 2015 CT 200h F-Sport
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I finally pulled the trigger on getting a radio upgrade system for my CT, I went for the one by Nifty City.

For anyone else interested in this system I will detail the process I use to install this system into my 2015 CT FSport w/navi. I will also provide my review of the installation and usage process. They nickel-dimed me for Wireless Android Auto and more RAM, but I figured it would be worth it since I plan to keep this for the long run.

I've been window shopping other systems such as the GROM VLine VL2 system, the one from DVDGPSNAV and some of the others out there and I finally decided the Nifty City system works for what I want.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hit them with tons of questions before I purchased on their Facebook Messenger contact. Here is what I asked and here is what they replied. I was also asking questions about 2013 Model year compatibility for my Dad's 2013 CT. Attached are screenshots of what they had to say. Hope this can answer some of your questions if you have any similar concerns.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey looking forward to the results! I'm especially interested in finding out if it works with 2013 models since that's the same model year I have. Being able to use the factory mouse would be nice.

On their site, it only lists model years 2013 or newer, which makes sense. I've read that the Lexus Enform version is the same on CT models 2013+

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hit them with tons of questions before I purchased on their Facebook Messenger contact. Here is what I asked and here is what they replied. I was also asking questions about 2013 Model year compatibility for my Dad's 2013 CT. Attached are screenshots of what they had to say. Hope this can answer some of your questions if you have any similar concerns.
Sad to say. This won’t work mate. You missed my posting on other thread. I refunded from them months ago.

I have figured out the one that actually works

Check the thread here: Apple CarPlay on Lexus CT200H? Too good to be true?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sad to say. This won’t work mate. You missed my posting on other thread. I refunded from them months ago.
View attachment 60853
I have figured out the one that actually works
View attachment 60854
Check the thread here: Apple CarPlay on Lexus CT200H? Too good to be true?
Oh I saw your thread, the questions I asked Nifty City long before that post. I bought this system for my personal car, a 2015 model. I'm still looking for what I want to get for my Dad's 2013 CT and the one you posted is on my radar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh I saw your thread, the questions I asked Nifty City long before that post. I bought this system for my personal car, a 2015 model. I'm still looking for what I want to get for my Dad's 2013 CT and the one you posted is on my radar.
Works like charm. Highly suggested. Effortlessly connects when i'm in the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is here! Earlier than expected too! Sadly don't have time to install it today or really at all this week. I will install this Saturday and post my updates/review of the system once I do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today is the day, hopefully it all goes well. I'll post some pictures of my install and a little review once I get it all going.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did the installation go?
It went quite well, although the software needed some fine tuning. I will write a longer update post later today detailing my findings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Meant to write this yesterday but work was busy, so here I am today! I'll separate the main parts of my review into separate posts.

Here is my take:

1. Installation:
Installation was a good bit of work, and it they did not include any form of installation instructions unfortunately. But they also didn't advertise installation instructions either so I can't complain really. I used a video tutorial for a similar system by Beat-Sonic to figure out how to install my system. This is the video I used, it is a fairly extensive process of removing lots of panels. That said, the removal itself isn't all too difficult with a decent set of plastic pry tools. Outside of that, you'll also need a 10mm socket that had a good couple inches of length for some bolts. Here are the pry tools I used, definitely worth the couple bucks to keep your car looking nice and clean. All the wiring was plug and play, and the wiring diagram they provided was simple but good enough.

I did not use all of the wires they gave me, as I didn't need any of the RCA audio/video connectors. I did wire in my own HDMI for my dashcam but I have yet to make that work right. More on that later.

As for the control module itself, I found a convenient place to put it behind the glove box. There is a series of slots where the OEM control modules for various things sit, and one of them was unoccupied in my car. I suspect this is where the memory seat module would go, if I had one. Either way, it was a good place to put it. Here is where they put it in the video, I basically did the same thing:

I had to get creative with the mounting because it just barely fit in the slot, I wedged it in there with some packing styrofoam and it doesn't rattle at all. I ran all the cable through the dash and it all came out very clean. I had to take some things and run them to the top of the dash and out of the screen bezel. This unit has a separate wi-fi and GPS antennas and they each needed to be ran out the top of my dash. I was even able to jam the USB power and the HDMI cable for my dash cam through the back on the bezel and it came out very clean looking. One thing I still haven't figured out it getting those antennas to stick to the top of the dash, as the sticky tape they came with isn't holding well to the plastic. This is mainly because my dashboard has a bit of an oily polish on it that stops them from sticking well. As for the USB breakouts for the control box, I removed the filter cover panel from my glovebox and I ran the cables into there for connectivity.

It its worth noting that a lot of the wiring harnesses in my car were attached to their respective panels with a zip-tie that I had to clip to fully remove the panels. Nothing structural changed and nothing rattles after the install, but its something I ran into that was not shown in the Beat-Sonic installation video. I note this because the car in the video is basically the exact same spec as mine and they had no zip-ties to deal with. Your mileage may vary!

Overall installation wasn't too bad and it all came out very clean. In terms of hardware this system has been a breeze to work with. See my next post about the software.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brief update:

My software review is coming soon. I am still working out some kinks with the software and I also haven't had time to sit in my car and toy with it much. I'll play with it more this weekend and write up the rest of my review.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just took apart my dash to upgrade my Navi to an Android unit last weekend too. Looking forward to hear what you think of the Niffty city unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts