Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My name is Chaz. Just purchased a 2012 CPO back in September. Really love the car. But for the past month I been having quite a few issues. Hopefully someone can shine some lights.

1. I'm averaging a little over 300 miles per tank. I'm getting this number from full tank to when the gas light turns on. For the two times I filled it up I would reset the mile back to zero. Not going by the computer on board.

2. I get a high pitch grinding noise when driving and the car feels a little loose when go over small bumps. I saw a thread that could possibly be the strud replacement issue. Has anyone brought their car in for this issue?

3. The middle console latch issue. I took it in to have Lexus dealership look at it. they said they greased and it will smooth out after a week. 3 months later problem still there. I read other threads and everyone said dealership will replace it, but most of the posts at back in 2011 or 2012. Would this be covered under CPO warranty to be replaced?

I have to tell you guys a funny story which got me so mad. This is regarding the gas mileage issue. Since the car is under warranty the obvious thing to do is take it in to get it check correct? Dropped off the car in the morning got a call in the afternoon said the car is done and ready for me to pick up. The service rep said and I quote, "...there's nothing wrong with the car. We ran a diagnostic test and your car is averaging 28mpg. Which is higher than Lexus gas mileage standard." I was like "are you serious for a ct200h hybrid?" He immediately answered with confident, "yes sir." Then I told him I'm going to repeat what he just told me and again reconfirm that I'm not hearing wrong. After that he Got silence for a good minute or so then said and I quote again, "sir, there are other factors that could affect your gas mileage; example the weather, the road condition, air filter, air pressure in the tires, the way customer drives and pumping bad gas. All Lexus vehicles are rated only for premium gasoline and should not be pumped with any other gasoline." I was on the edge of losing it when I heard him making excuses,but managed to replied in somewhat calm voice. "So first you implied my driving is bad. Second you're saying hybrid best milage is at 28mpg when it is rated at 40-42mpg city/highway. I know mpg is less when it is cold out but not consistently decrease more than 10mpg. Lastly do you mean bad gas as regular 87 octane? If so, then tell me this. If all Lexus required premium gas then why all your ct on the lot rated for 87 octane, the gas that you convinced is a bad gas?" Dead silence again. Then he replied, "okay we will run more tests and we will drain out the gas and put in "good gas" to test the car. But this will cost couple hundred dollars if we can't find anything wrong and the warranty doesn't cover that labor." I'm speechless.

anyhow, anyone has this kind of issue with the service department, this nonsense?
btw, sorry for a such long thread on a first thread.

·
Registered
990 Posts
First, you need to find another dealership. Your dealership seems incompetent.

Second, if you getting alittle over 300 miles per tank by the time the gas light goes on then you are getting much much than 28 mpg. When the gas light comes on you've used 8.5 gallons. Let's just say you've made it 315 miles to the gas light. 315/8.5=37.1 mpg. So you're already averaging more than your incompetent dealer told you.

Third, you need to learn how to drive a hybrid better. It's takes time for many people. For me it took about a year. You can't drive it like a regular car. You have to understand how it works and learn to maximize those benefits. Where you live plays a big part in mpg. Hills will kill mpg. Also climate plays a big part. For instance I live in Chicago where it's approaching winter and temperatures have recently dropped to sub 20's. I went from averaging 42-43 mpg to 36-37 mpg.

Fourth, don't trust the onboard computer mpg meter. It's off, way off. By about 2-3 mpg too high.

Fifth, most CT owners drive beyond the gas light and I'm one of them. The CT has a 11.9 gallon tank and the gas light goes on at 8.5 gallons, do the math. If you're averaging 37 mpg then that's an extra 125 miles per tank until complete empty. Now I personally won't refill with less than 1 gallon remaining but you can easily get another 85 miles without a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My95tsi, thanks for the reply. Been reading on the forum about this. I'm surprised that Lexus is doing this. anyhow, I live in Denver and it has been pretty cold out. So i understand that the mileage will drop, but not from 400+/- to 300+/- or does it? Thanks. ?

·
Registered
990 Posts
My95tsi, thanks for the reply. Been reading on the forum about this. I'm surprised that Lexus is doing this. anyhow, I live in Denver and it has been pretty cold out. So i understand that the mileage will drop, but not from 400+/- to 300+/- or does it? Thanks. ?
If you're refilling once the gas light goes on then yes. 320-350 is pretty common to get out of a tank once the gas light goes on in the winter. I just filled up the other day and got 400 out of a tank, my usually is 450-480. However I drive about 60-80 miles beyond the gas light and still have 1-1.5 gallons left.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Also remember your dealer is not Lexus. They just sell and service Lexus vehicles. That's why it's time for you to find a new dealer.

·
Banned
165 Posts
"All Lexus vehicles are rated only for premium gasoline and should not be pumped with any other gasoline."
LOL.

Also, the CT is more 28-32 city and 35 highway in my experience. It gets the same as a corolla.
It is a joke they say 40 highways as driving from boston to texas straight through and only stopping for gas, I got 35 mpg.
You are getting what I get.

·
Registered
990 Posts
"All Lexus vehicles are rated only for premium gasoline and should not be pumped with any other gasoline."
LOL.

Also, the CT is more 28-32 city and 35 highway in my experience. It gets the same as a corolla.
It is a joke they say 40 highways as driving from boston to texas straight through and only stopping for gas, I got 35 mpg.
I wouldn't listen to this. He's constantly disgruntled and always compares his CT to his Corolla. You just need to learn to drive a hybrid. You are already getting 37 mpg, alittle more knowledge and you can get to 40+ regularly.

·
Registered
842 Posts
LOL.

Then I hate to tell you that you are doing something wrong too. If you go on an interstate and go 75+, then you are obviously not going to get the highway MPG. The highway MPG is, according to government standards on a controlled circuit at a maximum of 55 mph.

I am not a hyper miler by any stretch of the imagination but I travel to two cities fairly regularly from Miami. Both (obviously), flat roads. Key West is about 150 miles from my home. Maximum speed limit on the overseas highway US-1 (not only posted but virtually impossible to exceed due to stupid tourists in huge vans that hog the center of the many bridges) is between 50-55 mph. I ALWAYS get in the high 40's and sometimes get 52-55 mpg. On my trips to Fort Pierce, (135 miles from home) which is on I-95 or the Florida Turnpike, where 70 is the speed limit and 75-80 is normal, I get very low 40's, but never have gotten as low as 35. I repeat, you are doing something wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the input. I just got the car back today. Will go through the whole tank and refill it with premium gas for some more testing. ��

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can get some slight mpg benefit in cold weather by blocking lower grille (upper must be open for inverter cooling). It will also protect AC condenser :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
1. I'm averaging a little over 300 miles per tank. I'm getting this number from full tank to when the gas light turns on. For the two times I filled it up I would reset the mile back to zero. Not going by the computer on board.
Yep, new dealer ASAP.

And I'll second what has already been said, that the fuel light comes on around 8.5gallons used, meaning you've got 3.4gallons still. If you're getting over 300 miles when the light comes on, that's okay, but not great. At 40mpg, your light should come on around 340 miles. Mine usually comes on around 380 miles or so, which is 45mpg.

I've finally settled on a method to tell me when to refuel, that probably many are doing. I just multiply the Current MPG by 10 and that's when I need to refuel. So, if my Current MPG is showing 48.5, which it often does, that means when my Trip odometer hits 485 miles, I refill the tank. That's typically 10.6 gallons, leaving a reasonable cushion in the tank. I've found this to be a good compromise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I just got the car back today. Will go through the whole tank and refill it with premium gas for some more testing. ��
Premium won't give you better mileage, in fact it may be worse due to the lower thermal properties.
Cold, short trips and hills kill hybrid mileage. Where I live is pretty flat, but with winter coming I have gove from 5.4l/100km to 7.0 for 100% city driving. That's 42mpg to 32. My wife drives about 2 miles to work, so the car never gets warm, thus the engine runs most of the time to get up to temp.
I also have a MINI and it gets 11.8l/100km over a similar slightly longer driving cycle. EPA rate for it is about 7.0l, so I would say the Lexus is doing much better at 55% worse than EPA vs. 68% worse for the MINI. The Lexus is also using 40% less fuel than a smaller/lighter car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Read the manual, CT requires ONLY regular gas (87 Oct). Not all Lexus require premium gas, Your dealer is a joker!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The original dealer for service is an a$$-hole!

·
Registered
232 Posts
i get around 375 miles per tank consistently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue with the center console in my 2011 CT and when I brought it to the Lexus service center in Santa Monica, he said that this is the most common issue with this car and replaced it for free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts