Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Everytime I try to get a recording, It does not do it but then when I am not ready, it would do the coggeebeans in a can shaken sound. It is not the rattle coming from the engine. On that, out of ten starts, I get the rattle for about two to three times. I have a sinking feeling that I need a new head gasket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
But its still misfiring on start up occasionally?
Yes,
On and off. The sloshing sound I mentioned, might be from a loose timing, really loose timing chain.
I am debating hear gasket or a used JDM engine.
Don't really know because the car drivers so very nice

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How long does it misfire? Does it go away quickly?
Yes, it goes away pretty quick, I would say let's than a few seconds and at it's worst, may be five six seconds.
I think it is a minor leak because before I cleaned the EGR and the PCV with new plugs, it was much more intense and longer shuddering.
I can imagine the coolant seeping on a bit but I think it is not as much, or may be it is a case of wishful thinking.

But the splashing sound could be a big air pocket somewhere, or I don't even know.
So I am taking it to a shop tomorrow and try to get to the bottom of it or the top end of it.

What if I took the valve cover off and torqued the head bolts on number one cylinder? Just a bit more than what they have right now?
What do you think? And my be do it when the engine is cold.....
The cost for hear gasket job is quoted at 2300.00 and I think I can live with that

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
367 Posts
I dont think over torquing the bolt is a good idea. Get the air out of the cooling system so you can eliminate that and deal with the one problem. Did you get an estimate from gasket masters? They come to you and others in this forum have used them and mentioned they got a good price. Update us on what the mechanic thinks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I struggled with the same issue recently with my 2012 CT that had 170k miles. I did exactly as you are doing and it seemed to get better for a while. I also installed the oil catch can which helped. I also had the weird coolant draining sound when I turned off the car which I believe is caused by air the system. After throwing parts at it, the shake finally came back with a vengeance. Ultimately a long drive on the interstate caused a noticeable drop in coolant, so my suspicion was confirmed. I debated spending $2k on a JDM replacement engine, paying a shop to replace the head gasket, or doing it myself. I’m not a mechanic, but found a guy who posted YouTube videos that were excellent. It took me a long weekend but successfully replaced it. My #2 cylinder was the culprit. After replacing the gasket, All my issues were immediately resolved. Maybe you’ll have better luck, but this sounds EXACTLY like the symptoms I had. Just keep an eye on your coolant level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I struggled with the same issue recently with my 2012 CT that had 170k miles. I did exactly as you are doing and it seemed to get better for a while. I also installed the oil catch can which helped. I also had the weird coolant draining sound when I turned off the car which I believe is caused by air the system. After throwing parts at it, the shake finally came back with a vengeance. Ultimately a long drive on the interstate caused a noticeable drop in coolant, so my suspicion was confirmed. I debated spending $2k on a JDM replacement engine, paying a shop to replace the head gasket, or doing it myself. I’m not a mechanic, but found a guy who posted YouTube videos that were excellent. It took me a long weekend but successfully replaced it. My #2 cylinder was the culprit. After replacing the gasket, All my issues were immediately resolved. Maybe you’ll have better luck, but this sounds EXACTLY like the symptoms I had. Just keep an eye on your coolant level.
I just got the car back from a shop that was supposed to diagnose the problem.
They started the car multiple times but no shake or rattle, nothing.
I guess I will keep an eye on the coolant level. What was the cause of the sloshing sound in your case?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got the car back from a shop that was supposed to diagnose the problem.
They started the car multiple times but no shake or rattle, nothing.
I guess I will keep an eye on the coolant level. What was the cause of the sloshing sound in your case?
I believe it’s air bubbles in the system. Possibly in the heater core making their way through the system. I had no leaks so assume related to the head gasket? I believe that a shop can do a leak down test that helps diagnose possible gasket issue. From the time I got the first CEL for a misfire, I replaced the plugs, fuel injectors, EGR valve and cooler, oil catch can, cleaned intake, intake gasket, and PCV. The shake was inconsistently off/on for about 7-8 months until the coolant started to drop. On the bright side, it runs like new after the head gasket replacement. If you end up confirming it’s a head gasket here is the video I followed for the replacement. I bet I watched it 5 times to convince myself I could do it myself.

I also texted the Gasket Master guy and got a recommendation for a local shop near me who could do the head gasket. I believe the estimate was around $1200.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I believe it’s air bubbles in the system. Possibly in the heater core making their way through the system. I had no leaks so assume related to the head gasket? I believe that a shop can do a leak down test that helps diagnose possible gasket issue. From the time I got the first CEL for a misfire, I replaced the plugs, fuel injectors, EGR valve and cooler, oil catch can, cleaned intake, intake gasket, and PCV. The shake was inconsistently off/on for about 7-8 months until the coolant started to drop. On the bright side, it runs like new after the head gasket replacement. If you end up confirming it’s a head gasket here is the video I followed for the replacement. I bet I watched it 5 times to convince myself I could do it myself.

I also texted the Gasket Master guy and got a recommendation for a local shop near me who could do the head gasket. I believe the estimate was around $1200.
I think I have the same exact issue.
It is very inconsistent as of now but I love the car, so won't mind getting it fixed.
From the list of things that you did, the only thing I have not done is replacing the injectors but I do not think I am going to do that till the HG issue is addressed. After the initial misfire, the car runs great.
When you did the HG replacement, did you take the head to a machine shop to get it checked and resurfaced or just replaced the gasket?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The egr recirculates things that weren't burned during the initial combustion hoping they would burn the second time around. That they shoot it nearest to one cylinder instead of evenly distributing it among all cylinder is weird, but it does explain the build up on the #1. Add to that the oil being sucked in which also contributes to the coating and fouling. It was only a matter of miles until it began to misfire. Remember, after all is cleaned, either install a oil catch can, or only fill 3/4 of the way up to the full mark on the dipstick.

I think I may have been better to have a dirty or even partially blocked egr cooler to slow down or catch trash from being blown back in to the intake😆.

This problem is only REALLY bad if it is left to go on, but I'd caught in time, the car can be saved without replacing the gasket.

For future readers, misfire on #1 should be the sign that fouling build up has reached a critical level (if the coil is still good). To prolong the engine and prevent it, a oil catch can or slightly underfilling the the oil should be practiced.
I have read that, egr is also for cooling the cilinder chamber to cool down head temperature. hence saving your head gasket.
Therefore, it's essential to keep the egr cooler clean.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
367 Posts
I have read that, egr is also for cooling the cilinder chamber to cool down head temperature. hence saving your head gasket.
Therefore, it's essential to keep the egr cooler clean.
Oh didn't know that. I thought it was for fuel economy. Its kinda like a turbo charger with a seized bearing and a hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Update,
I have an appointment with Gasket Masters on July 28th. Has anyone on this forum used their services? It is a definite case of a very slow antifreeze leak, got it checked by a shop yesterday but I was told that it should be OK to drive around till the appointment.The funny thing is that it does not rattle in the morning, only in the evening when I start it to go back home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had gasket masters fix my HG about 3 or 4 months ago. If you love this car as much as I do, you’ll be very happy you went with them. Everything you’re describing is the head gasket. You have a hairline crack. As the engine heats and cools the metal expands and contracts, that’s why it seems intermittent. The EGR and PCV system is pretty crappy and gets clogged easily. The solution is to install an Oil catch can, clean out the EGR cooler and pipe, and replace the PCV every 50k, but I would honestly do it every 30k because of the ease and low cost of parts.

Good luck with the car, and as I stated before, you will be very pleased with Gasket Masters.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had gasket masters fix my HG about 3 or 4 months ago. If you love this car as much as I do, you’ll be very happy you went with them. Everything you’re describing is the head gasket. You have a hairline crack. As the engine heats and cools the metal expands and contracts, that’s why it seems intermittent. The EGR and PCV system is pretty crappy and gets clogged easily. The solution is to install an Oil catch can, clean out the EGR cooler and pipe, and replace the PCV every 50k, but I would honestly do it every 30k because of the ease and low cost of parts.

Good luck with the car, and as I stated before, you will be very pleased with Gasket Masters.
Pcv is cheap ,but you can clean it easily with carb cleaner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Hello again,
I think I am going to have to do it myself. What head gasket kit did you use and did you have to get the head machined?
I have watched the video a number of times and I think I should be able to do it, the only thing that I don't feel confident about is the part where I will have to figureout if the head is warped and needs machining.
How did you keep track of all the different nuts and bolts?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
367 Posts
What happened to gasket masters? To measure head warp, you need a preciaoon straight edge, feeler gauge, specs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What happened to gasket masters? To measure head warp, you need a preciaoon straight edge, feeler gauge, specs.
I have left a bunch of messages and have tried to call but no response.
That is why I am thinking I will need to may be tackle it myself

21 - 40 of 41 Posts