Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has seen improved road noise control with another brand of tire.

I like the the Michelin's that came with the car but if there is another brand that reduces road noise even further, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wondering if anyone has seen improved road noise control with another brand of tire.

I like the the Michelin's that came with the car but if there is another brand that reduces road noise even further, I'd be interested.
It might be the sound proofing (or lack of) of the car more than the tires. I've been told by Lexus service people that the CT200h isn't one of the better insulated cars for preventing road noise. So, it's quite possible that different tires might not make a difference in cabin noise. However, Michelin is noted for making some of the quietest tires which is probably why Lexus is using them on the CT. In fact, this winter I put on their new X-Ice 3 snow tires and they actually seemed even a little quieter than the OEM Primacys.
The Tire Rack has rated the Michelin Primacy as their quietest tire...see links below.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-blog/quietest-tires-at-tire-rack-1st-quarter-2012

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

·
Registered
352 Posts
It might be the sound proofing (or lack of) of the car more than the tires. I've been told by Lexus service people that the CT200h isn't one of the better insulated cars for preventing road noise. So, it's quite possible that different tires might not make a difference in cabin noise. However, Michelin is noted for making some of the quietest tires which is probably why Lexus is using them on the CT. In fact, this winter I put on their new X-Ice 3 snow tires and they actually seemed even a little quieter than the OEM Primacys.
The Tire Rack has rated the Michelin Primacy as their quietest tire...see links below.

Quietest Tires Available at Tire Rack: First Quarter 2012 - Ben's Blog | Tire Rack

Consumer Survey Results By Category
I have those on another car of mines and really like them as a all-around performer, probably not as sporty performance as the original in terms of grip on the CT, might try them as my next set but slightly higher profile to try to get more of a cushy ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think you need anything sport with this car. If anything, figure out a way to improve the insulation and make the ride as comfy as possible :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi there!

The tires make a big difference! I use the 17" Yokohama (stock in Austria) in summer and 16" Continental in winter. The winter tires are not just much more quiet they also provide a more comfortable ride.
So I'm thinking of changing the dimension when the stock wheels are worn.

I addition I put albutyl-mats under the floor, into all the doors, the trunk, and I also insulated the rear wheel cases from inside with it. Result is a silent ride even with the 17".

For a quieter motorsound I highly recommend insulating the hood. Makes a big difference too!

Go for the silence! (;

G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts