Lexus CT200h Forums banner

New Hybrid Owner - Basic Servicing Questions

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  yeldogt 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2014 CT in April that has some nice F Sport exterior additions, but is really just a base model with navigation. I purchased it from a Lexus dealership, so it was serviced prior to buying. It's currently sitting at about 64k miles and I drive it daily for my work commute. I'm actually going to be moving out of state in August and I'll be driving it about 2,000 miles for the move.

I'm not a car girl, so I won't even pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I know it's due for at least an oil change. Would you recommend any other services prior to such a big trip? I'll be going from a non-snow state to a snow state, so I'm also open to suggestions about how to prep for my first winter once there. I truly love the car so far, so I'd like to take care of her as best as I can, so any help would be appreciated!

#4 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2014 CT in April that has some nice F Sport exterior additions, but is really just a base model with navigation. I purchased it from a Lexus dealership, so it was serviced prior to buying. It's currently sitting at about 64k miles and I drive it daily for my work commute. I'm actually going to be moving out of state in August and I'll be driving it about 2,000 miles for the move.

I'm not a car girl, so I won't even pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I know it's due for at least an oil change. Would you recommend any other services prior to such a big trip? I'll be going from a non-snow state to a snow state, so I'm also open to suggestions about how to prep for my first winter once there. I truly love the car so far, so I'd like to take care of her as best as I can, so any help would be appreciated!
If going to a cold state I would have the service tech make sure the anti-freeze coolant for the hybrid is the correct mixture for the cooler temperature (yes, there are two coolants reservoirs, one for the gas engine, one for the hybrid). Some are not even aware that in hot states, such as in my state of AZ it might have been set at 28 degrees, meaning a bit lean on the anti-freeze. I had mine freeze up when in Minnesota one winter. No harm, just the hybrid turns off and gives you a warning. Once in warmer weather, went off and hybrid worked fine.

#5 ·
Hey all,

Hi, Congrats on your car! Dealerships inspect for safety, they make every effort not to spend $.01 on the car so that they can maximize their profits, remember the car is 6 years old, while really nice, far from new. Absolutely do an oil change now, and do at least an inspection of the filters, brakes, and tires. You may need to do at least air filter, refill all fluids. Tires would be the most important after that to make sure you are running on old/worn out tires. Other than that, you should be able to drive it to the moon and back with no issues.

Have fun!

#6 ·
Did they give you any kind of maintenance record ? I would call and ask the service department -- or if you are in the area stop and ask the sales department to direct you to who could tell you if the car was sold and serviced at the dealership. Most times a Lexus is dealer serviced and you would then know what was done to the car. Nothing much needs to be done ... although at this time period the coolant could use a refresh. It's a simple drain and refill of both systems -- no flush ... just refresh the fluid. The oil service is 10k miles -- learn how to check the oil and do it once a month. The other simple things are air and cabin filter .... both very easy and cheap when you do it yourself. They may have been done recently ... try and see if you can get any records. Learning how do do a couple of the simple things -- checking oil and changing the air filters gets you involved with the car. I always have the tires rotated when we do the oil change and have them check the brakes and spray lube them. The brake pads last forever on these hybrids -- we get 160k out of them.. Don't let anyone change the pads telling you they are 1/2 way down .... they can go all the way to < 2mm .. they start out at 9 or 11mm. Making sure they stay lubed insures long life -- it's just spray . nothing expensive.

At 110k we typically drain the transaxle .. again at an oil change and at that miles we change the spark plugs.

Good tires are a must in snow. If they did an oil change when you bought it -- it's good for 10k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.