Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am currently driving the Starfire Pearl on stock 17 inch wheels (not F sport). I am planning to purchase a set of four winter tires. I am drawn to Micheline X-Ice 3 on, but is there a better set for the price/noise/effectiveness. I am thinking of buying the 17 inches on them as well.

This brings me to buying a set of wheels for the winters. Rather buying steel wheels, I find alloy wheels to be better bets because of obvious reasons. The idea is to get the all seasons on the new wheels and the stock wheels on the winter tires. Now the vast choice of wheels is to be honest really puzzling. i was previously drawn to the Lexus tridents, but I find there are other makes and models with far better performance to price ratio. Obviously, I am looking for 17 inch wheels as well. Do you knowledgeable ones have some preference to guide me?

Also, do I need to separately buy the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, or recycling them from one set to another is a costly proposition? These things are way expensive for the usability IMO. Do I get it cheaper somewhere?

I did look at some deals at Tirerack.com and saw some interesting choices.

My initial thoughts are:

Chrome is OK, but not too garish.
I am not particularly fond of the busy look.
I like funky, but with some tradition in mind (if there's such a thing)
That's about it.

If you have some websites and shortlists that you suggest I take a look, please point it to me. I am more interested in reliable and comparatively affordable wheel models (probably below $175 per piece).
Also what is the stock bolt pattern and offset for the CT? I would want to be as close to stock as possible.

Thanks everyone in advance.

By the way, I am in Canada, but buying from the US is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can't help you with winter tire/wheel recommendations, but I will say that the stock CT specs are 17x7.0 (45 offset) and tires 215/45/17

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TennisPlayer. Moderator, I figure that I should have put this thread over at the suspension/wheels/tires section. Would it be possible to move this thread to that section? Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
About a year ago I started asking myself that question. Lots of good ideas on this forum.... here is what I ended up doing:
- Bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's for the winter and put them on my stock wheels. Quiet, good traction, and still great mileage if you put a couple extra psi in them.
- Then when this spring came along I got a set of Enkei PF01's. 7 or more lbs lighter each wheel than stock. Yes, it has improved my mileage. Do some research on unsprung wheel weight.
- When I got the Enkei's, I also got another set of TPMS sensors AND a ATEQ TPMS reset tool so I could change tires without going to the dealer to reset the computer.

I have never been happy with the stock tires (Michelin Primacy's) because of the noise and a bit out of round. Just put on some new tires, we shall see how those go for ride and sound.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts