Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing a cyclic whirring noise from the front end of my CT200h for over a month now. It seems like it's worse on the driver side. My friend's a mechanic, and he checked the car on a lift. At first, I thought it could be a wheel bearing issue, but my friend did a diagnostic using a stethoscope and said he couldn't hear any issues while the tires were spinning at 20 MPH (we couldn't get it to go any faster while traction control was off). I had new tires installed about 1 week ago since I've read that the noise could potentially be due to worn tires, and I was due for new tires soon anyway. Unfortunately, the noise hasn't disappeared. The noise is worst while driving at around 60 MPH and occurs when driving straight and turning left. It lessens when turning right. I think all these point to a front driver wheel bearing issue, but I just want to see other people's opinions/insight before spending money on a new bearing, especially since my friend couldn't hear any issues with the wheel bearings when the car was on a lift.

Some other things:
-I started hearing this humming "helicopter"-like noise since I got the new tires installed last week. Otherwise, I've mostly been hearing a cyclic whirring noise for over a month now.
-I know my tires need alignment (even since before I got new tires), so I'll be getting that done this weekend. Not sure if that would contribute to the sound though.
-When I went to Costco Auto, they did say that my rims "have a shake in them and are bent". Could bent wheels cause the noise?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I have videos with the noise but not sure if I'm able to upload them to this forum.

Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
Bent wheels could have caused you wheel to ruin the bearings. And that tech did notice your wheel had the shakes. Whirling and shaking are signs of bear failing. Hey, at least you'll have new rims and tires and new bearings馃槂

1 - 3 of 3 Posts