Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Navigation System - Dealer Installation?

23K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  fl0wmastr 
#1 ·
Gang, just bought our CT a couple of weeks ago - got it "used" with only 5145 miles. Love it.

Non-premium model without Navigation, but we're considering having an after-market system installed in place of the current audio system. It will run us around $1500 installed.

However, has anyone any information as to whether a dealer can order the dash, system and back-up camera for the CT and install it after the fact, or is this something that can only be done while at the factory in Japan?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hmmm. Well anything is possible. The cost may be prohibitive if you start buying separate components. A new dash board would easily be $2500. Back up camera with the wiring costs. Why bother? Get a $300 Garmin or Tom Tom. Or trade it in for a Nav. equipped model.

#3 ·
We actually have a Garmin Nuvi 370, but hate attaching things to the windshield or setting them on the dash. Also, the wire running down to the power port is annoying. We just have a preference of having it built-in and were curious as to how much it might cost to have the dealer install the option vs. waiting a couple of months for Crutchfield to get data on the CT and supply an installation kit and instructions for one of their in-dash GPS units. We also like the mouse feature on the Lexus unit - very neat idea (I've used it in the loaner Lexus supplied me last week during our CT service visit).

Most likely we'll just go with the Alpine or Pioneer in-dash GPS and have a local shop install it. Any other insight on the costs of dealer-installed Nav would be appreciated, however.

#5 ·
To have the joystick and flip up screen put in from Lexus is probably impossible. The whole radio panel changes as well. Plus as the other reviewer mentioned the Lexus Nav package has all the radio controls, bluetooth phone, fuel consumption data integrated into it. I wouldn't be surprised if when these cars come down the assembly line two completely different electronic boards are placed in it. An after market in dash unit is going to be best in this situation if a Garmin unit and the wires are too unsightly.

#6 · (Edited)
Factory NAV requires the Premium Audio Package to be installed also! :eek:

Just more things that would have to be added on your base model CT. NAV isn't even an option on the base model, so that might be a BIG clue to just how prohibitive this would be to do! :(

Just not practical at all! As others have said, better off trading your base model in for a Premium w/NAV if it's something that you just must have. :rolleyes:

If all you want is a built in NAV system, however, an aftermarket system would probably be cheaper than trading in your "twice" used car for a new CT Premium w/NAV! :cool:

#7 ·
I sometimes use my Garmin instead of my built-in navigation system because I can easily enter destinations while moving. I guess Lexus won't let you enter anything while moving because I suspect their lawyers won't let them and for our safety in mind. Funny Lexus lets you change radio stations while on the go for the same reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.