Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I am negotiating a deal for a ct200h premium. I am wanting the premium audio and nav, but the salesman is trying to talk me out of the nav. I suspect it's because he doesn't have one on the lot and can't get one easily in the area.

I have seen some negative comments about the nav as well as recommendations to use a third party nav such as iphone or tomtom.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not a fan of the nav, I think most integrated auto nav systems are outdated way too fast. But, they are nice for backup camera, audio features, and extra hybrid data.

Since most of us replace our smartphones every couple of years, I see that as a nav system that is easily upgraded and more up to date.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would recommend getting the nav. I have it and love the way it integrates so many features of the car. Don't let him talk you out of it because he's trying to sell cars on hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nav

Im not getting one. Its way too expensive for what your getting, and Ive heard you cant operate it while driving which would drive me crazy. Also, garmins are many times more advanced and just $200 for a great one. Navs do add about $800 to the value of your car when you go to sell it, so that is something to think about.

·
Registered
100 Posts
if you think about it, it shouldn't let you operate it while driving. it's odd to hear people want to be distracted while driving. many places dont let you adjust gps devices or phones while driving.

anyhow the nav in the car is not just about the navigation, it's a central console for many different features such as audio and climate.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's a tough call. The nav system as it comes from the factory has some serious drawbacks.

Such as not being able to do much of anything when the car is moving, but the $185 nav bypass defeats that pretty easily ($185 + install, couple hours).

Now that mine is bypassed, I'm pretty happy with it. It's far from perfect, and an aftermarket Nav would be just fine for many, but I'm glad I went with it now.

Things I like: I can beam destinations down to the car. We do on-site computer repair, and I can just load my destinations in that morning, hop into the car, it downloads the new ones, and I select the one I want. It's also nice to have those destinations in memory if I ever need to return to a place.

The traffic updates are nice, much better than trying to use the local 511.org local traffic info, especially while driving.

Being able to access all my music on the 32gb USB thumb drive is very handy, everything is nicely divided into folders and easy to get to quickly.

I love having the fuel consumption map up, telling me how the drive train is being used, it's helping me to save gas. =]

Overall it could be much better, but once the nav bypass is in it's pretty bloody decent.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I hate to keep mentioning how disappointed I am with the built-in navigational system I have in my CT. I have built-in navigation in my Acura and love that it works while the car is moving. It also has a functional calendar that lets you program reminders into it. Very nice for reminding you of anniversaries and such. I won't continue to compare systems, but I wish I would not have spent the money for the Lexus navigation but instead bought a new Garmin with lifetime maps -- Lexus charges an arm and a leg to update their maps. As for the backup camera, the one that comes without built-in navigation has grid lines in the mirror so you can judge the distance behind you. With the built-in navigational system, the screen is much bigger and you can actually watch your bumper as it makes contact with something -- it's hard to judge distance with no reference other than seeing your bumper in the screen.

Well, that's my 2-cents worth.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a CT200h Starfire Pearl, with Navigation. I believe it is the one extra I would not give up. Many have commented previously on this subject. The large screen gives multiple information in addition to the navigation screen. Audio information on songs, phone book for the bluetooth phone with speed dialing, gas usage and hybrid information. The back up camera comes on this also. You are getting much more than just a navigation system.
I think it is a valuable option and would go for it. You will use its functions every day in one way or another.
The flip up-flip down screen is pretty cool too.
Are there some features it could have, sure. it's not perfect.
The driving disabled features are probably more mandated by the Highway Safety Administration.
It works very well with my iPhone 3GS. Hope the iPhone 4S works as well.
Just remember if you go the non Nav route the car can NEVER be converted to it in the future.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
The truth ...

Hi all -

I am negotiating a deal for a ct200h premium. I am wanting the premium audio and nav, but the salesman is trying to talk me out of the nav. I suspect it's because he doesn't have one on the lot and can't get one easily in the area.

I have seen some negative comments about the nav as well as recommendations to use a third party nav such as iphone or tomtom.

Suggestions?
The truth is ... the salesman has more non-NAV availabe to sell that will be coming in sooner and can make a quicker sale!

·
Registered
371 Posts
The truth is ... the salesman has more non-NAV availabe to sell that will be coming in sooner and can make a quicker sale!
I agree with Midcow3. You should get want you want and not whatever the salesman is pushing for a quick sale. You'll regret your decision if you don't get what you really want.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was originally going to save some cash and go for a non-Nav, thinking that I'd be replacing my current (old, quirky and in need of replacement) satnav with a newer Tomtom. But on my testdrive, I got a taster of what the Nav equipped CT was like.

It's more than Nav, it's a trip computer on steroids :) And in UK spec, it's a better spec of car radio too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just remember if you go the non Nav route the car can NEVER be converted to it in the future.
And if you go the NAV route, you can't get your money back later if u regret it.;)

seriously, it is your choice as others state: on this forum the concensus is that the Nav-users are pretty happy with their Navs (for the most part), and the Non-NAV users are pretty happy without it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm not a Lexus navigation fan at all but regardless of what anyone says, you should always get the accessories that make it special for you. I bought a car once just because I liked the way the electric antenna went down into the car's fender. Go figure... :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
What annoys me about not having factory navigation is there is no good place to put it in many cars. What makes the CT different from most other cars is the way you have a very handy place on the center console (the electronic device holder) to position your third party navigation system. My large screen Garmin gets great reception in the car, and when it's in that holder it almost looks factory. So I'm very happy with the non-navigation version, and @ $32K, I think the car was a relative bargain.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yep - most cars these days have heavily sloped windscreens which means the satnav is pretty far away and needs a good lean over to be able to operate it.

Yes - you can mash the buttons on the touchscreen while at 75mph on the motorway but that's while - a) it's shaking on its mount and b) it's that big lean to press the screen.

The Lexus remote touch solution works pretty well, I don't have to lean over to get to the remote touch pointerthingy. You have the lockout on being able to set destinations but it's much easier to operate to do diverts with Remote Touch. (Need to do a long run to properly test that)

But ... On a non-nav car with a Garmin or Tom-tom, I can set up my destination from outside the car. Can't do that on the Lexus system. (Unless there's a way of getting contact addresses through on UK spec, think Enform might do that but I don't think that's an option on mine)

There's plusses and minusses to both :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep - most cars these days have heavily sloped windscreens which means the satnav is pretty far away and needs a good lean over to be able to operate it.

Yes - you can mash the buttons on the touchscreen while at 75mph on the motorway but that's while - a) it's shaking on its mount and b) it's that big lean to press the screen.
There are easy affordable workarounds to this issue with portable GPS:
1) the Elec Device Holder as mentioned above by other posters (but for me who likes to look at the screen a lot i can't keep turning my head down to see it although for those who rely on the voice commands, i suppose it is fine)

2) there are cheap (~$20) friction mounts that allow you place the GPS pretty much anywhere on the dash where it is easy to reach and see and doesn't obstruct vision. i use this with my garmin and it works awesome.

·
Registered
239 Posts
But ... On a non-nav car with a Garmin or Tom-tom, I can set up my destination from outside the car. Can't do that on the Lexus system. (Unless there's a way of getting contact addresses through on UK spec, think Enform might do that but I don't think that's an option on mine)
Yes, you can do that with the Lexus system. =] With Enform you can input destinations from your computer, and download them to the car.

Extremely helpful for folks like me who go to multiple new destinations every day.

The only issue I had was it wouldn't let you page down through the list of destinations while moving! Easily fixed with the lovely Nav Lockout Bypass. =]

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmm - looks like a bit of Win Some Lose Some there ...

Win - we get the guidelines in the reversing cam over in UK
Lose - no sign of Enform or other method of transferring locations over in the manual

1 - 20 of 20 Posts