Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading much about the benefits of nitrogen inflated tires, I finally set up my own Nitrogen inflation kit. Of course I cannot afford a 20K+ commercial Nitrogen generator cell used by retailers such as Price Costco, nor a huge canister of Nitrogen which can run couple hundred dollars, I found my ideal set up in a supplier of equipment for professional bicyclists. They obviously embrace the benefits of Nitrogen filled bicycle tires.

The kit consist of: (1) a 33 cubic feet Aluminum tank, certified to 2,000 psig; (2) a PrestaCycle regulator good for pressures up to 200 psig; (3) PrestaCycle Nylon coil with Schrader 1/4" tips (which I got from Home Depot); (4) automotive tire gauge (from Tire Rack); (5) valve core removal tool (from eBay)and (6) green valve caps (from eBay). A 33 cubic feet tank can inflate tires for up to ten cars. Bought the empty tank from PrestaCycle and filled at a local welder shop.

I have read from two sources that Toyota Motors ships Lexus car tires pre-filled with Nitrogen up 40 psig, but I tried search again and couldn't find the sources again. So I purged the air from the tires, by jacking the whells just off ground, yanked the valve cores, and re-filled with Nitrogen to 33 psig (f)/32 psig (r). The difference is that the tires feels more compliant whenever it hits bumps, i.e. like dribbling a fully inflated basketball. Road noise is lessened, tires seems to be softer; the thumps area tad louder, but you feel less jolts from the tires. The mileage appears to be better, but I have to wait and confirm with more data. The immediate benefits of the the Nitrogen gas is preservation of the TPMS, prevention of dry rot and less pressure fluctuation due to temperature change.

I know there are lots of folks that won't buy into this, but the trend these days to use Nitrogen in tires for consumers seems to be catching on. Fleet and car racers have been using Nitrogen tires for years.

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
That is the biggest load that even you have ever tried to fob off on people. Much better than all our engines were made in China.

Air is roughly 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. Did you do all of this in a room purged of all the air? How did you survive? You say that decreasing the amount of oxygen by a few percentage points makes the tires "more compliant"? Road noise is lessened? Mileage "appears to be better"?

PLEASE!!! I have owned many cars in my lifetime. I have NEVER had a tire rot out from dry rot from the inside. Do you have that much of a problem with that where you live? I would rather move.

Racers and aviation have used nitrogen for years because it doesn't support fire. Not for all the profit center theories proposed by those selling this modern version of snake oil. Just buy the green valve caps and tell everyone how smart you are without going to all the trouble.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You started it. If you want to do a scientific experiment, fine, but stating all of these "facts" like you actually are doing so invites scepticism, at best.

I think it's great that you are happy with your nitrogen setup. If you don't want people go comment on it, why post it, here? You knew you were stirring the pot, right?

And in case anybody cares, I fill my tires with krypton for it is nonreactive, is a big atom, so doesn't leak and I never need to check my tire pressures, won't cause corrosion or fires, gives a smoother ride and improves my gas mileage by 3.1416 MPG. As an added benefit, it can render superman useless when it heats up under highway speeds.

Cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
it can render superman useless when it heats up under highway speeds.

Cheers.
This is why I use krypton. I was totally unaware it gave me better MPG.

I was under the impression that all Lexus vehicles were shipped with nitrogen filled tires - either that or my dealer puts it in all the cars they get. Over the years I've tried nitrogen but haven't seen the benefits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would like to see this documented. I know some dealers claim to fill with nitrogen, but I don't see a company policy to do so. My dealer makes no mention of it. I suspect those who do this "service" do it to then sell you $40 fill ups every time you go in for service.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would like to see this documented. I know some dealers claim to fill with nitrogen, but I don't see a company policy to do so. My dealer makes no mention of it. I suspect those who do this "service" do it to then sell you $40 fill ups every time you go in for service.
You will not. You may get what I got from my Lexus dealer: "We went to school for this!" Then some vague generalities that can't be pinned down. The Tire Rack reference is one of the best ones in that it is not overly technical.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
The only people who go to the trouble of making a long, mumbo jumbo explanation of the relative sizes of oxygen and nitrogen (which are different by .03 times 10 to the -10th of a meter, or 0.00000000003 m) are people pushing the equipment or selling nitrogen for your tires. And this computation is on the website called "getnitrogen.org", which is obviously trying to push people to buy their generators and other nitrogen producing equipment. Nonsense! As Tire Rack said in their relatively unbiased research, if it's free, go for it. If it costs as much as most people charge for it, forget it! I still want to know, if oxygen does leak out as much more rapidly as nitrogen, then why, after a year or so isn't all the oxygen gone and what remains is virtually 100% nitrogen?

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quite right. Spend a few dollars and buy a quality tyre pressure gauge (some top quality ones are made in the U.S.A.) and then check your tyre pressures YOURSELF, preferably weekly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The only people who go to the trouble of making a long, mumbo jumbo explanation of the relative sizes of oxygen and nitrogen (which are different by .03 times 10 to the -10th of a meter, or 0.00000000003 m) are people pushing the equipment or selling nitrogen for your tires. And this computation is on the website called "getnitrogen.org", which is obviously trying to push people to buy their generators and other nitrogen producing equipment. Nonsense! As Tire Rack said in their relatively unbiased research, if it's free, go for it. If it costs as much as most people charge for it, forget it! I still want to know, if oxygen does leak out as much more rapidly as nitrogen, then why, after a year or so isn't all the oxygen gone and what remains is virtually 100% nitrogen?
Well, my dealer does NOT charge to do it.....very very few people ever come in asking for NO2 anyway....I don't use it either...I was just providing more information on it....

·
Registered
8 Posts
kinda off topic, but didn't want to start a thread...Anyone heard of filling tires with green slime
auto sealing/ tires and ditching the spare? It seems like you would save weight, or use as an
auxiliary storage area once spare is gone, or future add-on battery. This way, hot climates are not
storing a can of fix-a-flat that could explode due to high heat... just wondering

·
Registered
842 Posts
kinda off topic, but didn't want to start a thread...Anyone heard of filling tires with green slime
auto sealing/ tires and ditching the spare? It seems like you would save weight, or use as an
auxiliary storage area once spare is gone, or future add-on battery. This way, hot climates are not
storing a can of fix-a-flat that could explode due to high heat... just wondering
I don't see how in the world you could avoid totally unbalanced tires sooner or later. If it is soft enough to seal anything it will flow around the inside of the tire and there is no way you could control how it rolls around inside there. That stuff is for lazy, emergency use when you can't fix your tire. Just my opinion. If it could be used permanently in tires, some tire manufacturer could clean up by claiming flatless tires. The only tires that are puncture RESISTANT do not use this type of technology, as far as I know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You could just buy Run Flat Tires. Mini have them of the Coopers and no spare. They do make for a rougher ride

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading much about the benefits of nitrogen inflated tires, I finally set up my own Nitrogen inflation kit. Of course I cannot afford a 20K+ commercial Nitrogen generator cell used by retailers such as Price Costco, nor a huge canister of Nitrogen which can run couple hundred dollars, I found my ideal set up in a supplier of equipment for professional bicyclists. They obviously embrace the benefits of Nitrogen filled bicycle tires.

The kit consist of: (1) a 33 cubic feet Aluminum tank, certified to 2,000 psig; (2) a PrestaCycle regulator good for pressures up to 200 psig; (3) PrestaCycle Nylon coil with Schrader 1/4" tips (which I got from Home Depot); (4) automotive tire gauge (from Tire Rack); (5) valve core removal tool (from eBay)and (6) green valve caps (from eBay). A 33 cubic feet tank can inflate tires for up to ten cars. Bought the empty tank from PrestaCycle and filled at a local welder shop.

I have read from two sources that Toyota Motors ships Lexus car tires pre-filled with Nitrogen up 40 psig, but I tried search again and couldn't find the sources again. So I purged the air from the tires, by jacking the whells just off ground, yanked the valve cores, and re-filled with Nitrogen to 33 psig (f)/32 psig (r). The difference is that the tires feels more compliant whenever it hits bumps, i.e. like dribbling a fully inflated basketball. Road noise is lessened, tires seems to be softer; the thumps area tad louder, but you feel less jolts from the tires. The mileage appears to be better, but I have to wait and confirm with more data. The immediate benefits of the the Nitrogen gas is preservation of the TPMS, prevention of dry rot and less pressure fluctuation due to temperature change.

I know there are lots of folks that won't buy into this, but the trend these days to use Nitrogen in tires for consumers seems to be catching on. Fleet and car racers have been using Nitrogen tires for years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts