Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also own a Porsche 911 Turbo. I change the oil myself with synthetic once a year - generally every 6 - 8,000 miles. But that engine gets lots of stress and heavy redline acceleration. That being said, my CT200h is my commuter car, and I now have 22,000 miles on it. I am getting ready for my first DIY oil change on this car. I bought a magnetic drain plug from Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs. MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUGS These are the best plugs on the market, and if you look at some of the videos on their website, you will agree. Richard is a great help in sizing the plugs, but the one that you need for our cars is - M12x1.25x14 plug. I use his plugs on my Porsche.

I also use Blackstone Labs to test my oil on my Porsche. For $25, I have confidence that I'm not doing anything to disrupt the normal wear and tear on my engine. I drive it pretty hard, and they are amazed at the minimal wear characteristics. So, I feel pretty good that my engine will last a long time. I will do the same thing on my CT200h, and will be happy to post my report once I get it. Blackstone Labs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Used Oil Analysis

Are you interested in the UOA (used oil analysis) on my Porsche? I'll try to post that, but I won't be changing the oil on my CT200h till next weekend - after thanksgiving. I ordered an Assenmacher oil filter wrench from Amazon.com for $16.99 including shipping, and will change my oil when I get it delivered. Judging by the Video posted on Youtube for the 2012 Prius, changing the oil should be a lark compared to doing it on the Porsche. BTW, it takes a few weeks to get the UOA back. I'll post it as soon as I get it.

Also, I understand why people would change their oil at 10K miles. Especially with a oil analysis to verify the health of the engine. But, aren't you going to void the drivetrain warranty on your car, since the maintenance specs from Lexus insists on an oil change every 5,000 miles?

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Are you interested in the UOA (used oil analysis) on my Porsche? I'll try to post that, but I won't be changing the oil on my CT200h till next weekend - after thanksgiving. I ordered an Assenmacher oil filter wrench from Amazon.com for $16.99 including shipping, and will change my oil when I get it delivered. Judging by the Video posted on Youtube for the 2012 Prius, changing the oil should be a lark compared to doing it on the Porsche. BTW, it takes a few weeks to get the UOA back. I'll post it as soon as I get it.

Also, I understand why people would change their oil at 10K miles. Especially with a oil analysis to verify the health of the engine. But, aren't you going to void the drivetrain warranty on your car, since the maintenance specs from Lexus insists on an oil change every 5,000 miles?
No, the oil change interval was switched to 10,000 miles as long as you use 0-20 full synthetic oil. Happened about a year ago at about this time of year. Or maybe two years ago, I know it was just about the time I was going to do my first 5,000 mile change. Unfortunately, the computer still reminds me every 5,000 miles and the dealer either can't, or won't change it, hoping I will come in to have him turn the warning off so he can do his best to sell me something I don't want or need.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Joe166-

Really, they changed the interval on the oil change? I have a 2012, and the owners manual still says change the oil every 5,000 miles. I'll have to call my dealer, or Lexus and get an update - and in writing - just to protect myself.

But otherwise, you can reset the service warning on your own. The instructions are on page 499 of the 2012 owner's manual, under section 4-2 Reset the Maintenance Data. If you can't find it on yours, I'll retype the instructions for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Joe166 - I just checked the Lexus website for the standard maintenance schedule, and you're right. The standard maintenance for a 2012 is a 10,000 mile oil change. That will save some money, and some time. But I'll have to think of whether I want to change my oil now, just to get a read on the Used Oil Analysis. It would be nice to get to some round numbers on the change. I'm at 23,000 now with 5K since my last change. Can't stretch to 30,000. Maybe I'll change now, and then do another change at 30K. That will give me 5K between changes now, and 8k between changes for the next one, with a shift to 10K. It will be interesting to see if the UOA shows any differences over the 5k mileage increase.

Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Joe166-

Really, they changed the interval on the oil change? I have a 2012, and the owners manual still says change the oil every 5,000 miles. I'll have to call my dealer, or Lexus and get an update - and in writing - just to protect myself.

But otherwise, you can reset the service warning on your own. The instructions are on page 499 of the 2012 owner's manual, under section 4-2 Reset the Maintenance Data. If you can't find it on yours, I'll retype the instructions for you.
No, I figured it out, but thanks. It just annoys me that it seems as though that wouldn't be a tough fix for Lexus to do so we didn't have that silly "Oil Maintenance Required Soon!" come up for a couple of weeks and then finally doomsday arrives. If I do it when it first starts to announce the upcoming end of the world, then it will come back up before the 10,000 miles. It is just annoying.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Joe166 - I just checked the Lexus website for the standard maintenance schedule, and you're right. The standard maintenance for a 2012 is a 10,000 mile oil change. That will save some money, and some time. But I'll have to think of whether I want to change my oil now, just to get a read on the Used Oil Analysis. It would be nice to get to some round numbers on the change. I'm at 23,000 now with 5K since my last change. Can't stretch to 30,000. Maybe I'll change now, and then do another change at 30K. That will give me 5K between changes now, and 8k between changes for the next one, with a shift to 10K. It will be interesting to see if the UOA shows any differences over the 5k mileage increase.

Thanks for letting me know.
I would probably change it now just to get the reference point. But I am a curious sort. If you go to Walmart you can find the 5 quart Mobil 1 for less than $25 and sometimes they have the filter too. I bought a few and keep them in my garage for future changes. My guy gives me back the oil he doesn't use and eventually I will have enough for another change. Unless I lose it in my messy garage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Joe:

I'm going to stick with the Toyota oil filters. That really isn't a place that I'm interested in testing the quality of the filter. I have seen some analysis on oil filters and just because Fram says that their filters are premium doesn't mean squat. At least if I'm buying a factory filter, I can have some confidence that it is good quality. I do the same on my Porsche, using Porsche filters. Yes, more expensive, but it's only a few bucks per change. And I will start buying my oil at Walmart. I just bought some when NAPA had a sale on Mobil 1. It was a lot cheaper for the oil I need for my Porsche, but was about a buck more a quart than Walmart charges in the 5 quart bucket. I'll probably just decant it into the quart bottles when I'm done. That way, I can measure the amount I'm putting in more carefully.

Right now, I'm waiting for my canister wrench. Should be coming sometime this week. Then I'll change the oil this weekend, and send in for the UOA from Blackstone Labs, just to get a reference point. BTW, where are you buying your washers for the drain plug. I don't suggest re-using them. It's a crush washer, and won't seal as well the second/third time. They're pretty cheap anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
good info, This time I took my car to get it done by my mechanic, next time I do it my self.
I do my oil change/fuel filter/oil filter on dodge sprinter diesel every 12-15000. it does run 13 qtr. synthetic.
Do you guy rec to stick to 10000 on synthetic oil with ct200?

·
Registered
251 Posts
my 1996 MB E-320 is OLD... I've used Mobil-1 and I've changed its oil between between 10-12K miles, no problem at all . One may argue that it has a 7.4 quarts oil tank, yes it's true but it has a larger engine and supposedly higher performance engine

·
Registered
414 Posts
According to the Maintenance schedule on Lexus' website, the oil on the CT gets changed every service - every 8000km.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A few thoughts....
-the manufacturing engineers have an interest in having lower maintenance costs as many buyers consider this in their purchase, so the fewer the oil changes the better. They also have an interest in the car lasting through the warranty period, but nothing more. If one wishes for their car to last 200K+ miles, more frequent oil changes will help
-you don't know how the author of this thread drives his car.....he may drive short distances with a cold engine for the life of the car. 10K would be a long change interval for this type driving. How often do you change the oil in your race car? :)
I try to NEVER let it get past a 4 month Interval regardless of mileage. The oil at 10K maybe fine even when sent in to a lab for analysis, however it will never give you any Indication on the wear of the piston/oil rings, bearings or any other areas of metal to metal contact. At 10K oil change Intervals you're asking for engine trouble.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts