Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I'm about 1,300 miles in and I have a rattle coming from the far right of my dash. It is only noticeable over very bumpy roads (or vibrating surfaces) and sounds almost like an unattached screw rolling inside the dash. At first I thought it might be something in the glove compartment, but I cleared it out and it is defintiely coming from inside the dash as far as I can tell...

I'm really apprehensive about taking it in just for this. Especially if it means taking apart the dash to see what's going on in there, but it is driving me nuts.

Anyone else have this? Curious...

·
Registered
267 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have a Tumbler or Thermos in the cupholder, would you? A few weeks ago, I had experienced a rattling noise. I swear it really sounded like it coming from within the dash area, and I, too, was very upset. One day on the way to work, the rattling went off and the moment I picked up my tumbler to take a sip of coffee...silence. I nearly spit out the coffee thinking "What?? That was it??"

·
Registered
34 Posts
I seem to have the same problem. The rattle is not consistant so it is hard to pin point. My only solution so far has been to turn up the music!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I seem to have the same problem. The rattle is not consistant so it is hard to pin point. My only solution so far has been to turn up the music!!
Same thing but mine is coming from the left hand side (rhd car). Annoying rattle over bumps, yes you can turn the music up but hey, guess what, you tune into the rattle.

I had an IS 250 and if you go onto that forum you will find acres of entries about rattles, I had at least 4 fixed on the IS, one in the dash and yes the whole dash came out to fix it, 2 days it took. The decision is yours, Lexus will find it and fix it but be prepared to have the pride and joy ripped apart potentially.

For now I am going to see what happens, sometimes it's heat and sometimes it cold that can produce these because of the varying materials used in manufacturer, if they touch they can rattle or rub / squeak. I would suggest trying to live with it for another 1000 miles and if it is still there then make your decision.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, definitely not something in the cup holder. This is absolutely coming from the very upper right of the dash... almost where that secondary air vent is (not the adjustable one).

I think for now I'll probably just wait till at least the 5000 mile service and see what happens.

Radio gets turned up for the time being.
grrr.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a similar rattle at times. I moved the airflow around on the control panel and it seems to stop the rattling. I think it's something in the vent system and the plastic may rattle at different temperatures. Try changing the airflow direction when you notice the rattling and see if it stops. Maybe not the best solution but I had a 07 Camry with a dash rattle. Toyota tried to fix it seven times, it got worse with every supposed fix. Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a rattle/vibrating noise near the driver's side door/seat belt area, been to the dealer twice for it and the noise is still there... they added some insulation inside the door panel TWICE and that didn't seem to do the trick.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I'll try that airflow thing, because it really does sound like it is coming from the vents on the right of the dash... interesting suggestion.

It is SO minor that I really don't want to tear the dash apart just to make it worse...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had this problem with my 2010 Prius. They dealer tried to fix it, at the end it seemed to get worse with taking the dash apart so many times. That is why I sold my Prius, hopefully this is not a problem with the CT. I am still waiting on mine and this might make me think twice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a rattle that started around 600mi. If you pushed on the dash above the steering wheel it would stop, it was driving me crazy so I took it back to the dealer, they had it for six hours but they gave me a loaner (IS250) to drive. Picked it up and the rattle was gone, the service manager told me a small clip broke off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welp... I'm an idiot. It turned out that the rattle was actually my sunglasses in the case overhead. Strangely enough, the sound bounced in the cabin in such a way that it sounded exactly like it was coming from the right vent.

To further confuse me, I sometimes bring sunglasses from inside and leave the pair which I had in the carrier case which is why I thought it couldn't possibly be the sunglasses...

Yes, I'm an idiot ;)

The good news is that now I don't keep sunglasses in there anymore and the rattle is gone gone gone!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welp... I'm an idiot. It turned out that the rattle was actually my sunglasses in the case overhead. Strangely enough, the sound bounced in the cabin in such a way that it sounded exactly like it was coming from the right vent.

To further confuse me, I sometimes bring sunglasses from inside and leave the pair which I had in the carrier case which is why I thought it couldn't possibly be the sunglasses...

Yes, I'm an idiot ;)

The good news is that now I don't keep sunglasses in there anymore and the rattle is gone gone gone!
That's pretty funny!! Thanks for letting us know what you figured out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Like another poster, I had rattles in my 2011 Prius (even the top-of-line trim). They were the biggest reason I traded it in on a CT200h.

Now, I'm determined to avoid rattles in this incredible car.

To help that, I have decided to keep tire pressures at the recommended 33/32. I am hoping keeping the pressures lower than might be optimal for high mileage will keep anything from jarring loose.

So far (300 miles), so good. And my mileages have been incredible -- mid- to high 50 mpg.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was almost driven crazy with a noise that appeared to be coming from underneath my front passenger seat or passenger door (inside cup holder area). Every time I made a somewhat fast left turn I would hear what sounded like a bolt or screw rolling from one side and hitting against something. It sounded like something came a loose under the passenger seat. So I looked under the seat with a flashlight and felt around several times, but could not find anything loose or out of place. Ugh! So annoying!

Then one day my husband asked if I had checked the center console. I told him "yes I checked it first, weeks ago". Well, I was desperate so I decided to check in there again. I have the normal pens, phone charger, etc in there. Of course, nothing that would make such an audible rolling and hitting noise around under my seat....well at least I thought! ;-) So on a hunch, I decided to put a small towel in there to cushion all the stuff in there. Just in case. Well, believe it our not, that did it! It was that CRAP knocking around in my center console, that amazingly sounded like it was UNDER my passenger seat.

Needless to say, I was thrilled to death to find what was causing that sound. So I definitely know you guy's pain. Ugh! It was sooo frustrating going thru that.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
That's pretty funny!! Thanks for letting us know what you figured out.
That is funny. I actually had the same thing happen to me in my last car and after finding the sunglasses holder was the culprit I no longer used it....and also why I have yet to use it in the CT!

I use a Kleen Kanteen stainless steel for drinking water daily, and the cup holders in the CT just aren't designed that well for several reasons (rattles is one of them). I picked up a neoprene sleeve designed for these bottles, from LL Bean...works like a charm!!!! They call it a Bean Canteen Cozy (yeah...sounds ghey, but it does the trick).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts