Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a great car. I looked at Acura ILX and Audi A3 for a long time before deciding.
Here are my findings in the first 500 miles of driving. Bought the car last week after over 8 months of deciding.

Cool Features Discovered after the sale (guess I did not get these initially)
-Keyless entry- I did not fully grasp this concept before I bought the car. Now I really like it. With the key my pocket I can walk up and touch the car handle and the car unlocks the door (drivers door unlocks only that door and passenger door unlocks all doors). When I leave the car I can touch a small indentation on the front of the handle and all doors lock.
-Personalized settings- I found I can turn off the tach in the personalized settings. I think the power status indicator is more useful. The point being there are many options that are customizable under menu control to make the car behave the way the owner wants. There are even more options that apparently only Lexus can change. Not sure why these are not available to the user as well. This works for NAV and non-NAV cars as well.
-Grocery Bag Holder- The cargo net that is part of the Preferred Options works well to hold your grocery bags upright in transit. Not more oranges rolling around in the back.
-First Aid Kit-Its in the spare tire well. Did not know it was there until I was poking around. Not real big but a nice touch. Seems like a European thing as I have seen this in Mercedes, Volvo, etc.
-First Two Services Included-Says it right on the sticker. 5K and 10K service included. Also surprised that first oil change is 5K. Was expecting a new car to change oil earlier initially and then the 5K schedule. But I remember my TSX recommended keeping the initial oil in as it had special additives for initial engine breakin.

Driving Experience
-Economy is Great- 47.7mpg indicated on my first tank. 46.8 actual. That was without any special hypermiling. Used normal setting most of the time. I did see better mileage in highway driving than city driving which is counter to the EPA estimates. Fill up was 8.5 US gallons. That makes you feel good.
-Ride Stable at 75mph- Yes, it actually is a more stable ride at higher speeds. Maybe because the high road surface is smoother. You learn to avoid bumps though.
-Normal Mode acceleration fine- If you need to accelerate faster you only have to push down the pedal more. The mode change to Sport is noticable but it only changes the pedal response, not the 0-60 speed. I am coming from a TSX 2004 6-speed Manual. I feel the CT actually is faster in the 0-40 range and somewhat less responsive than the TSX in the 40-80 range. The TSX always bugged me with a lack of low end torque. The CT is better in the low end because of the traction motor torque addition.
-Engine sound- It does rev high. coming from the TSX I was used to this so no big deal. The sound is not unpleasent but the CVT does make it sound wierd since it is one continuous crescendo.
-Quite Ride except for rain- Yep, the only real noise was when I got caught in a downpour with maybe an inch of water on the roadway. Got lots of spray noise from the tired kicking up water. Never felt unsafe but did slow down in this storm. Otherwise, road noise is not really an issue. Maybe a little more than my TSX.

Biggest gripes so far (and they are minor)
-Rough Ride- Maybe I should say firm ride. You do notice the bumps more and learn to avoid them if possible. Rough roads will get your attention. This is a price I guess you pay for excellent balance in the steering and cornering like its on a rail. I would say handling is tighter than the TSX in the corners. Has a go-cart feel and can really zip around in town.
-Cup Holders- Not the best design. Water bottles rattle in them. No dampening; all hard plastic. Needs a cushion for hard surfaces. Hard to reach a coffee cup without flipping off the lip or crushing a flimsy cup. Guess that is a US thing that Europeans just don't get. 'Why are you drinking and eating in a car anyway?'
-Dirty Back end- The back end collects dust like crazy. Probably due to shape of hatch. Anyway, plan to wash often.
-Radio Speaker- Nice idea using burnt bamboo in your speakers Lexus but they do leave something to be desired. They are not horrbible but even a non-audiophile like me can tell they produce less crisp sound than a normal speaker. They sound worse with XM SAT Traffic Reports as these use a compressed CODEC to save BW. Might be my first upgrade.
-Small Car Disrespect- The SUVs seems to target their road rage on small cars like the CT. I have nearly been run over at a stoplight twice. Then again maybe it is the PG country drivers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Even though first 2 services are free, oil change is every 10,000 mies. The first service at 5.000 miles will included tire rotation and inspection only. Second service will include oil change.

·
Registered
195 Posts
lol. at least there are cup holders in the front.
there arent any in the back, my friends were complaining lmao

how come everyone got a safety kit in their lexus except for me?
I even contacted the salepersons who sold me the car and told him that my car did not have a safety kit or a device holder. he sent me a device holder but I never heard from him again about the safety kit.

sneaky sales people probably steal them from the car

·
Registered
389 Posts
-Cup Holders- Not the best design. Water bottles rattle in them. No dampening; all hard plastic. Needs a cushion for hard surfaces. Hard to reach a coffee cup without flipping off the lip or crushing a flimsy cup. Guess that is a US thing that Europeans just don't get. 'Why are you drinking and eating in a car anyway?'
Totally agree...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Guess that is a US thing that Europeans just don't get. 'Why are you drinking and eating in a car anyway?'

You're right - 96% of the world's population aren't so fussed with cup holders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's interesting to me that we share some of the same impressions and observations because I too drove a TSX for a number of years. But, I would disagree with the sound of the engine/transmission being "not unpleasant". It's probably the most signifcant characteristic of the car that keeps me from hard acceleration and creating the tendency to drive more conservatively. It's no wonder this car has great gas mileage for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts