Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

While I've tested running out of gas once in my 2012 Prius C that I had before, I never really planned to do the same with my 2014 CT. But it happened anyway.

After miscalculating my true range, I ran out of gas on the highway one night, driving 60 MPH. Here's what happened:

The car immediately shut the engine off. EV light came on and the car began to slow down. Throttle inputs were completely ignored. I knew that I was coming up on an exit that led to a gas station I go to often (lucky me), so I cruised into the exit lane and headed off the highway.

At this point the car was reaching 40 MPH, which is just about the max speed for EV mode. I checked the hybrid battery level, and it was around 70% or so, so I let the car slow down to about 20 MPH and then started to hold the speed (in an attempt to extend the range of the battery). At this point throttle inputs were working, but it worked just as it would in EV mode, except it wouldn't kick the engine back on if I tried to floor the pedal (did it as a test).

I was able to drive very slowly until I reached the gas station and pulled in. Luckily, this happened around 2am so all the lights were green and I never stopped, even when turning at a light. Didn't want to risk not being able to drive away after a stop.

Once at the pump, I turned the car off, filled up, and the car started up just fine afterwards, and everything worked normally again.

The same was true for my Prius C. It always started up and drove fine after refuelling. (It ran out once when my mom was driving it. She reported the car just kept slowing down so she was able to reach the shoulder just fine.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
real test i want to know is, would it still run without fuel in it, in the EV mode till it made it to a gas station? say 3-5 miles away?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice post and thanks for sharing! I've only ran out of gas once (not in the CT), however when I did, it threw out a check engine light that I had to reset using an ODB reader. Are you saying the CT/Prius does not do this?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem, shared experience is always useful!

I ran out of gas once in my CT, and once in my Prius C. My mom has the Prius C and she also ran out once. All 3 times, all you had to do was refill the tank and the car started up just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts