Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been having couple of hot 85-90 deg days in northern california here (summer's finally here :), and I noticed my Ct200h mpg dropped from 46 to 42-43 straight....

Guess it must be the air-conditioner working overtime. Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
We've had a few Priuses, and a Camry hybrid over the years, before getting our CT. We get in the 90's quite a bit in SW Florida and the hit in mpg's is common in the hot weather. No worries.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Yes, I'm in S. California and when we hit those 100 degree days my mileage dropped from 41 - 42 to 37 - 38. I think you are right. It has to be the air conditioner working so hard.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We've been having couple of hot 85-90 deg days in northern california here (summer's finally here :), and I noticed my Ct200h mpg dropped from 46 to 42-43 straight....

Guess it must be the air-conditioner working overtime. Has anyone else seen this?

Where are you in Nor Cal? Get ready for the 104+ temps in the next few days!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
The air con probably accounts for most of it but the heat is something to do with it.

Most things expand in the heat and contract in the cold.

Early on in motoring they noticed engines would run much better and with more power on cold misty mornings.

This is because as the air expands when it warms up there is less oxygen in it by volume thus reducing the amount entering the engine as it can only pull in so much volume of air.

This is how the intercooler came about commonly used on diesel engines it's like a small refrigerator on the air intake cooling the air as it comes in thus it contracts making it more dense and thus you can get more oxygen in to the engine.

The other part on the cold misty mornings was the water in the air as well, this also boosted the expansion in the cylinder when the fuel is ignited as water expands massively when heated but of course you can't have to much of it in an internal combustion engine if you want that you should get a steam engine !

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah. I'm in Lake Tahoe right now and they are open this weekend for skiing/snowboarding because of all the snow this winter. Crazy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
19 days over 100 degrees already this year and the summer is just starting. :eek:

I live in the city with stop signs or signal lights every few blocks and I still get 37-39 mpg even in this heat. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
19 days over 100 degrees already this year and the summer is just starting. :eek:

I live in the city with stop signs or signal lights every few blocks and I still get 37-39 mpg even in this heat. :D
That's good to hear thanks.

It's winter hear at the moment but our summers can be the similar how are you finding the black leather at the moment in the heat as I have the same?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I haven't noticed the black leather being any hotter than the ivory leather in the RX I had. I do have tinted windows and use a heat shield for the windshield. I also leave the sunroof tilted open if I have to park out in the sun.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't noticed the black leather being any hotter than the ivory leather in the RX I had. I do have tinted windows and use a heat shield for the windshield. I also leave the sunroof tilted open if I have to park out in the sun.
OK

My rear windows came tinted but I must organize getting the front side windows done before it starts to warm up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here in WEstern MA I have noticed a distinct drop in MPG on the very hot muggy days. I am averaging 41 mpg tootling around in this heat wher eI was up at almost 50 mpg before the heat. Oh well still so much better than 20 -25 mpg I got from my Passat wagon.

·
Registered
200 Posts

I have been averaging about 48mpg before cranking up the A/C. East Coast is broiling this week. Temperature when I got in my car this afternoon said 106 degrees. Unheard of in Maryland. Feels like crummy Florida where I lived for awhile. I'm down about 2 mpg to 46. Will know for sure on the next fill up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had the vehicle for about 4 months and was averaging 42-43 mpgs in mostly stop and go neighborhood traffic. Since the July heatwave the average mpg has dipped to about 40 mpg with constant air conditioner on lowest temperature and highest blower setting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Putting one of the seats down is enough for snowboards. Def gonna be a great car to take to the mountain. Hope it does well in snow and icy surfaces. If not I guess I'll have to invest in some snow tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts