Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my new CT, It just glides smoothly through space.http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif 43 MPG combined. The NAV is so intuitive/convenient. I could go on and on. but, one minor nagging issue below:

I drive a lot for work. 3000 miles per month. I would like to push the number of miles I get from each tank. When I run the "Cruising Miles" remaining down to zero it still only takes 8.5 to 9 gallons to fill up again. I ran 50 miles past zero cruising miles and still only put in 9.9 gallons (400 miles per tank) I would like to take advantage of the CT's reputed 11.9 gallon tank capacity and get at least 450 miles. As much as I drive it would mean that much less time spent at the pumps.

Any problems with running the tank a little more empty? (other than the risk of running all the way out, of course)

What IS the true tank capacity? TIA. have nice weekend. -DizzyG

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Many others on here have the same concern. (It's an 11.9 gallon tank) I am sure someone on here will provide a link to the other thread on this topic. Damn man, 3,000 miles per month!!?!??!?!?! That's crazy!!!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I went about 90 miles after my light went on today, I haven't filled up yet, I will let you know how much it takes when I fill it up Sunday.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Love my new CT, It just glides smoothly through space.http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif 43 MPG combined. The NAV is so intuitive/convenient. I could go on and on. but, one minor nagging issue below:

I drive a lot for work. 3000 miles per month. I would like to push the number of miles I get from each tank. When I run the "Cruising Miles" remaining down to zero it still only takes 8.5 to 9 gallons to fill up again. I ran 50 miles past zero cruising miles and still only put in 9.9 gallons (400 miles per tank) I would like to take advantage of the CT's reputed 11.9 gallon tank capacity and get at least 450 miles. As much as I drive it would mean that much less time spent at the pumps.

Any problems with running the tank a little more empty? (other than the risk of running all the way out, of course)

What IS the true tank capacity? TIA. have nice weekend. -DizzyG
Why not put a 1 or 2 gallon gas can in your car and drive until you run out of gas ? Then you will know for sure :confused: and won't have any questions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Why not put a 1 or 2 gallon gas can in your car and drive until you run out of gas ? Then you will know for sure :confused: and won't have any questions.
Definitely not a good idea on this car.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Just like any other car when you run out of gas!

Definitely not a good idea on this car.

You incorrect Max12 quit spreading FUD ( Fear Uncertainty Doubt).

Unless you can definitively back up you statement I would be quiet.

Check out these references :
What happens when a Toyota Prius runs out of gas? - Yahoo! Answers

Prius to the Max! (i.e. I ran out of gas) - Blog de Humpty

Running out of Gas - PriusChat Forums

page 31 of owner's manual
Running out of fuel When the vehicle has run out of fuel and the hybrid system cannot be started, refuel the vehicle with at least enough gasoline to make the low fuel level warning light (→P. 584) go off. If there is only a small amount of fuel, the hybrid system may not be able to start. (The minimum amount of fuel to add to make the low fuel level warning light go out is about 3.1 gal. [11.8 L, 2.6 Imp.gal.], when the vehicle is on a level surface. This value may vary when the vehicle is on a slope.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
You will save 2 fillups/month if you run your car practically empty (450 miles) instead of filling at the "0" mile (350 miles). Is it really worth risking running out of gas to save what can't be more than 20 minutes/month?

And, again, the range says zero at 3 gal left because you aren't supposed to regularly run the tank lower than that. I don't know if the CT is this way, but many cars use the fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump. If you run the tank down too far, there is no fuel to cool the pump. Seems silly to risk that for 20 minutes a month.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You guys don't need to run the fuel lower in the tank. You need to find someone to make you a larger tank. Shouldn't cost over a few thousand. LOL

·
Registered
239 Posts
The only valid concern I can think of would be with much older vehicles.

Crap can accumulate in the bottom of the tank, and stay there for years until the tank is run empty.

At that point, in theory, it should gunk up the fuel filter and stop the car dead.

In reality, maybe some gets past the fuel filter and damages the engine.

But I don't see that being a real concern in a brand new car.

I would just carry around a well sealed 1-gallon gas can and run it dry from a FULL tank, see exactly how many miles you get, and how that compares to the electronically estimated mileage.

But hey, I go skydiving and like to live on the edge. ;]

·
Registered
237 Posts

You incorrect Max12 quit spreading FUD ( Fear Uncertainty Doubt).

Unless you can definitively back up you statement I would be quiet.

Wow, nice comment...I guess you told me!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
midcow3 - You previously made a comment on another thread, and turns out you were wrong, and nobody jumped all over you for it, so cut Max12 some slack. I agree with Max12 110%. All he said was it's not a good "idea", never said it wasn't good for the car.

Really don't see how your threads you provided made running out of gas a good thing or not a bad thing?

Interesting issue one Prius owner ran into after running out of gas. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Impacts of Running out of Gas - Page 3 - PriusChat Forums

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks Jimmy. BTW, in the warranty guide it clearly states (pg 42) "Take all precautions to prevent the hybrid vehicle from running out of fuel". Seems to me that it is definitely stating that it's not a good idea. I have no idea what the ramifications are but I'm not planning on being the one to find out!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ok, I filled up tonight after driving the car about 90 after the low fuel light came on, the car took 10.3 gallons. I've been averaging about 42 MPG (90% of my driving is on the highway).

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Maybe you guys are right ... My New Plan

Max12 and Jimmyc13,

I think maybe we are both right, but after rethinking I guess I side with you that I really don't want too run out of gas and cause a problem, which might be more prevalent in happening with a hybrid. I was thinking at first, that you could run out and determine your range once and only once, but even that might not be wise. I remember on of the first cars i has with a "trip computer" was an 87 Mecury Sable. I actually did drive it dry to find out the accuracy of the range and tank capacity compared to the fuel gauge.

As most other lamented and I am experiencing also, my fuel gauge does not seem to accurately reflect the gas I have remaining. I ask the dealer and they basically said thats the way it is, it is a small gas tank and Lexus wants to make sure you don't run out of gas, reaffirming what Max12 and Jimmyc13 have said. The dealer simplifeid it ( may be too much) that there was a reserve of 1.5 gallons and each quarter of a tank was approximately 2.5 gallons. I think the reserve is closer to 3 gallons.

My new plan:

(1) Drive until the yellow low fuel light comes on and fill-up, note the mpg, trip odometer, and the fuel required.

(2) Drive until the yellow light comes on and continue driving until I get to the last Empty hash mark. Fill-up and note the mpg, trip odometer, and the fuel required. If there is still more than 1 gallon remaining go to step 3.

(3) continue as in (1) and (2) and drive 50 miles after the last empty has mark. Fill-up and note the mpg, trip odometer, and fuel required.

Goal to at least determine what constitutes 10 gallons usage, maybe 10.5 or 11 gallon usage.

During this testing as backup, since it is not good to run out of fuel, and try to continue driving or worse be stuck in the middle of nowhere, I will carry a 2 gallon full gas can.

Peace,

MidCow3

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a patient who is a roadside mechanic for the AA here in the UK (a motoring organisation which provides roadside assistance). He has been on a Toyota course on the Prius drive train. He was told that there must be at least about 2 gallons in the tank, but was not sure why. But, thought engine damage may ensure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm sure I posted my thoughts on this before but cant remember where. It is the only thing about the CT I find annoying i.e the number of times I need to visit the fuel pump. I've had the car nearly 4 months and covered over 12,000 miles. Best range I can get to 0 Miles (not going much beyond) is 380 miles with average 44 UKMPG. When filling up there is still around 20% of fuel left in the tank. I wouldnt want to run it until dry for the reasons posted by others but it is annoying and always left with a will I/wont I risk it feeling each time. Also, the refuel light sometimes comes on at only 15 miles remaining depending how you have driven the car. Sometime I can be 50 miles from the nearest petrol station so suppose its good to know you can probably get there, although probably best to avoid playing fuel chicken.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.