Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else puzzled about how they rate the car 43MPG in city driving and "only" 40 highway? I find I get the best mileage with highway driving. It seems to me that the city driving, particularly the accelerations after stopping at a stoplight are the biggest drains on the fuel - and I can see the mileage literally decreasing. Plus the warm up period after every time I stop somewhere, turn off the engine and then re-start it, even 30 minutes later, seems to be a drain as well.

· Premium Member
874 Posts
redice is right. Plus, stopping converts kinetic enegry into potential energy by charging the battery using MG1 as a generator. And at full stop, the motor shuts off, after all it is a full-hybrid ;)

· Registered
842 Posts
The cycle which is used for the government mileage test just yields that amount. I found the reverse. I get much better mileage in town because once I am on the highway, I am not likely to drive a 55 mph circuit or whatever they do. If you go over 75 the mileage drops precipitously. I saw under 40 mpg consistently on a recent trip. But it was my doing, so I can't complain. Around town when I got where I was going I was in the high 40's and even once into the low 50's.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tried this yet because I haven't had the chance (and am not sure I ever will as my driving pattern always ends up with freeway driving for some stretches - though often small ones of 8 - 10 miles), but from what I'm reading on my meter and from what I'd guess, I'd get around 36mpg around town if I didn't ever go on the freeway. That's why I'm puzzled.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought, but that's not what seems to be happening with my CT. And I often drive in ECO mode. I'm getting around 41.1 but suspect that if I didn't do as many freeway runs and only drove around town, I'd get much worse as the mileage meter seems to go down when driving on surface streets.

· Registered
842 Posts
That's what I thought, but that's not what seems to be happening with my CT. And I often drive in ECO mode. I'm getting around 41.1 but suspect that if I didn't do as many freeway runs and only drove around town, I'd get much worse as the mileage meter seems to go down when driving on surface streets.
The mileage only goes down around town if you have to accelerate to keep up with other traffic. If I am able to avoid stop and go driving, or if I don't have anyone behind me so that I feel bad about accelerating like a turtle, I can go for quite a while on EV mode and the mileage is just going up and up and up. Eventually, of course, you run out of battery and you have to get the engine running (or find a hill to go down, which is quite hard in South Florida) but even without paying attention or trying, my mileage rose from 35 to 43 (I had just filled up) on the way home from work the other night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.