Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On this forum I'm seeing other drivers getting well above 40mpg while I only average around 37-38 mpg.

After taking a closer look I noticed that the engine hardly uses the battery power at higher speeds and is using the gas almost exclusively. By that I mean that it seem that whenever the arrow is going from the gas to the wheel, the arrow from the battery to the wheel only comes on for 2 seconds and then goes away.

For example when I'm consistently driving at 60mph it almost exclusively shows the arrow from the gas tank to the wheel, while the arrow from the battery hardly comes on and only for a few seconds at a time. What's weird is that the background is blue, meaning I'm not in the "power mode", but there's hardly ever an arrow from the battery at that speed, only from the gas.

When I'm going at 25mpg it can exclusively use the battery, but it seems that the battery arrow does not stay on for more than 3 sec if the gas arrow is working, if that makes sense.

I'm under the impression that the gas and battery arrows can work together for entended periods if driving at consistent speeds. Do you think I should take it to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
On this forum I'm seeing other drivers getting well above 40mpg while I only average around 37-38 mpg.

After taking a closer look I noticed that the engine hardly uses the battery power at higher speeds and is using the gas almost exclusively. By that I mean that it seem that whenever the arrow is going from the gas to the wheel, the arrow from the battery to the wheel only comes on for 2 seconds and then goes away.

For example when I'm consistently driving at 60mph it almost exclusively shows the arrow from the gas tank to the wheel, while the arrow from the battery hardly comes on and only for a few seconds at a time. What's weird is that the background is blue, meaning I'm not in the "power mode", but there's hardly ever an arrow from the battery at that speed, only from the gas.

When I'm going at 25mpg it can exclusively use the battery, but it seems that the battery arrow does not stay on for more than 3 sec if the gas arrow is working, if that makes sense.

I'm under the impression that the gas and battery arrows can work together for entended periods if driving at consistent speeds. Do you think I should take it to the dealer?

Andrewa,

As you get some miles on your car your mileage should go up.

You can get a couple of mile per gallon more by inflating your tires to 42 psi. Measure air pressure when tires are cold.

If you want to try and hyper-mile there are some good Prius articles (same engine hybrid system) - there has been discussion on this forum.

I have noticed my EV light doesn't come on above about 42-45 miles per hout.

I live in Houston, TX area and it has been very hot, so my air conditioner runs all the time which lowers the miles per gallon.

I am averaging about 45 mpg with a little over 1100 miles. Quite a bit of highway driving at 65-75 mph.

I think your car is operating normally.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not expecting to be in EV mode at high speeds, but I thought if I'm driving consistently at 65mph and it shows be on Eco, then both the battery and gas arrows should be pointing to the wheel, not just the gas the vast majority of the time.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I'm not expecting to be in EV mode at high speeds, but I thought if I'm driving consistently at 65mph and it shows be on Eco, then both the battery and gas arrows should be pointing to the wheel, not just the gas the vast majority of the time.
Actually, I read somewhere (if I can find it I will post) that on normal highway cruising you will typically only be running on the gas engine.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Yes. Your car is operating normally. The gas engine is designed to work within a certain RPM range. At high speed cruising, only the gas engine should be on. If you accelerate, the hybrid system will call on the electric motor to assist the gas engine with a boost, which will show yellow and orange arrows. This is bad for fuel economy since it drains your battery and is not optimal for freeway cruising. This is also why the EPA estimate for freeway driving is lower than the estimate for city driving because the electric motors are more fuel efficient than the gas one. However, the electric motors cannot spin fast enough to power the car while driving above 40 MPH, hence the need for the gas engine for highway cruising.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Just continue what you're doing. Also, us kids living in SoCal seem to be getting lower MPG, probably related to a combination of factors such as fuel mix, traffic (ugh!), and weather.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was really starting to get concerned that there was something wrong with my car, but it seems that this is not unusual.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Not only is it not unusual, it's expected! Enjoy your CT!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok Matt it's not only the people in SoCal!
Admittedly, I am only on my second tank of gas and still have yet to get any where close to 40 mpg!! Here are the ACTUAL stats from my two tanks:
First tank 335.0 miles 8.900 gallons yields 37.64 mpg
Second tank 393.3 miles and 10.100 gallon yields 38.941 miles.

First off I have a very short commute to work (mostly freeway) of about 6.5 to 7 miles. But I have been driving like a "grandma" trying to boost the mpg but I have had the air on---GEEZ it's hot here in North Carolina--gotta do something to take the humidity out of the air! Also, in hopes of raising my miles per gallon, I have been cruzing in ECO mode hoping that that would make things go better.

So far, on this tank, it has not gotten better, but just slightly worse. I am beginning to think that either people here are "STETCHING" the truth a bit (ok little lies) or they are boosting the air in their tires to get better mpg.

No, I am not real disappointed with around 38 to 39 mpg, but compared to what other are saying they are getting I am a bit of a skeptic!!

Does any one else agree with me or am I the only one that sees 45 to 49 mpg as a pipe dream?:mad:

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Normal Operation - gas engine only

From page 25 of the CT owner's manual - normal driving is predominately gasoline engine only.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Admittedly, I am only on my second tank of gas and still have yet to get any where close to 40 mpg!! Here are the ACTUAL stats from my two tanks:

First off I have a very short commute to work (mostly freeway) of about 6.5 to 7 miles. But I have been driving like a "grandma" trying to boost the mpg but I have had the air on---GEEZ it's hot here in North Carolina--gotta do something to take the humidity out of the air! Also, in hopes of raising my miles per gallon, I have been cruzing in ECO mode hoping that that would make things go better.

So far, on this tank, it has not gotten better, but just slightly worse. I am beginning to think that either people here are "STETCHING" the truth a bit (ok little lies) or they are boosting the air in their tires to get better mpg.

No, I am not real disappointed with around 38 to 39 mpg, but compared to what other are saying they are getting I am a bit of a skeptic!!

Does any one else agree with me or am I the only one that sees 45 to 49 mpg as a pipe dream?:mad:
It sounds like you do a lot of stop and go driving. Maybe close to home or close to work. You are getting the same mpg that I am getting. I have short runs with a lot of stop and go driving. Starting and stopping kills mpg. Thost getting better mpg mostly have longer runs without stopping and starting. I am very pleased with my mpg because of the type of driving I do.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Your commute is much like mine! ;) I also get about 38 mpg (mostly in "normal" mode) and was concerned that maybe something was wrong. After posting a few times, however, it just seems that my driving environment (west side of Los Angeles) is just not going to yield much better results! Lots of traffic, lots of lights (many are programmed to slow you down!!), subtle "hilly" surroundings (the kind that you don't usually notice except in a car like the CT that tells you every moment how much power is being used) and VERY aggressive fellow drivers all add to the problem! Also, almost all my trips are short! I've gotten mid 40's on open freeway when driving some distance (our freeways are also "hilly"), but that's not where I'm driving most of the time. I was getting just over 25 mpg in a Scion xA before this. The CT is a much nicer car and I'm getting more than 10 mpg better fuel economy, so I really have nothing to complain about! :rolleyes:

What I've noticed is that ANY gains I make in mpg happen gradually and with some effort on my part, but I take about a 0.2 mpg "hit" every time I have to make an aggressive move (you know, like a simple lane change!) Here in SoCal, the second someone detects that you might want to get in front of them, they quickly close the gap!

Things are improving somewhat. When I first got the car I was doing a couple of mpg worse and was driving more poky. So, I must be getting better at it! :)

To answer your question, I too thought that other people might be stretching the truth a bit about their mpg's. In time, however, I decided that our lives just aren't the same. There are MANY reasons that, for us, high 40's IS just a pipe dream! :(

Just another thought...

Our driving requirements may not yield the best mpg numbers, but I'll bet that we drive far fewer miles per week and, as a result, spend far less money on gas than those who are posting phenomenal mpg results! Our cars will also last longer (much lower annual miles) and retain more of their value over time. Just a few silver linings for those of us that don't drive enough to produce the truly impressive mpg numbers of others! :D

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Your commute is much like mine! ;) I also get about 38 mpg (mostly in "normal" mode) and was concerned that maybe something was wrong. After posting a few times, however, it just seems that my driving environment (west side of Los Angeles) is just not going to yield much better results! Lots of traffic, lots of lights (many are programmed to slow you down!!), subtle "hilly" surroundings (the kind that you don't usually notice except in a car like the CT that tells you every moment how much power is being used) and VERY aggressive fellow drivers all add to the problem! Also, almost all my trips are short! I've gotten mid 40's on open freeway when driving some distance (our freeways are also "hilly"), but that's not where I'm driving most of the time. I was getting just over 25 mpg in a Scion xA before this. The CT is a much nicer car and I'm getting more than 10 mpg better fuel economy, so I really have nothing to complain about! :rolleyes:

What I've noticed is that ANY gains I make in mpg happen gradually and with some effort on my part, but I take about a 0.2 mpg "hit" every time I have to make an aggressive move (you know, like a simple lane change!) Here in SoCal, the second someone detects that you might want to get in front of them, they quickly close the gap!

Things are improving somewhat. When I first got the car I was doing a couple of mpg worse and was driving more poky. So, I must be getting better at it! :)

To answer your question, I too thought that other people might be stretching the truth a bit about their mpg's. In time, however, I decided that our lives just aren't the same. There are MANY reasons that, for us, high 40's IS just a pipe dream! :(

Just another thought...

Our driving requirements may not yield the best mpg numbers, but I'll bet that we drive far fewer miles per week and, as a result, spend far less money on gas than those who are posting phenomenal mpg results! Our cars will also last longer (much lower annual miles) and retain more of their value over time. Just a few silver linings for those of us that don't drive enough to produce the truly impressive mpg numbers of others! :D

LOL. I hope to put lower annual miles. I'm already @ 15k. I need to get the heck outta The Valley. The commute is killing me. I work in Long Beach and work night shift too, so my 46 mile commute stretches as long as 2 hours both ways, since I'm stuck in rush hour traffic both ways on the 405. LOL.

·
Registered
180 Posts
LOL. I hope to put lower annual miles. I'm already @ 15k. I need to get the heck outta The Valley. The commute is killing me. I work in Long Beach and work night shift too, so my 46 mile commute stretches as long as 2 hours both ways, since I'm stuck in rush hour traffic both ways on the 405. LOL.
I forgot about your long (405) commute, Matt. I should have added that others (with great mpg's) drive longer distances at CONSTANT speeds much higher than 23 mph (average)! :( Unfortunately, long drive + stop and go = no help for fuel economy! :cool:

I'm just over 3000 miles (including a 750 mile round trip to San Jose a while back and a 200+ mile work day, evaluating system performance at several IMAX digital theaters, one Saturday) and bought my CT on March 3rd! My normal annual mileage is between 5k and 6k. I usually drive my 12 year old Boxster (just over 37k miles) on longer trips, but that's all it does. Horrible city numbers, about 13 mpg, but on a recent trip to San Diego I got 30+ (It LOVES going fast on open freeways! Thank you "Carmageddon"!) :D

Interestingly, my best mpg performance to date was on that "work" Saturday. I got over 44 mpg that day, even with a couple of major (but fairly short lived) traffic jams included! :) The San Jose trip only yielded about 39 mpg average, the Grapevine and Pacheco Pass + over 100 lbs cargo (going up) didn't help much either! :rolleyes: Maybe I'll drive the CT to San Diego one day, just to see what it can really do! ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
just got back from vegas trip, mpg low to mid 30...normally 46-48 mpg, during the trip, a lot of uphills to climb and ac was running and i was driving around 70-100, i noticed that when i was above 80mph, the blue light doesn't come on even though the gage show that i was in economy range...it turned blue as i go 80 or below...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just finished burning my first tank full. Did a lot of around town, a few local highway trips and a long trip from the SF Bay Area, across the valley at speeds averaging 70mph with an ambient of 94*F. We then climbed up into to the Sierras on Highway 4 above Arnold to the 6000 ft elevation. On the curvy roads the CT handled like a slot car, I was thrilled. Our fuel average was an astounding 44.1 mpg and that is calculated at the pump. I ran the car in ECO the entire time and engaged the cruise control whenever it was not congested. The regenerative braking did a fantastic job coming out of the mountains maintaining cruise speed. Am I happy with the car? Oh yeah.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I am beginning to think that either people here are "STETCHING" the truth a bit (ok little lies) or they are boosting the air in their tires to get better mpg.

Sorry, wish I could say I was, but it's not the case. I do the math by hand vs. using the computer as well, as that's high by about 2 MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Just continue what you're doing. Also, us kids living in SoCal seem to be getting lower MPG, probably related to a combination of factors such as fuel mix, traffic (ugh!), and weather.
I'm not sure what your driving habits are in traffic, but when I hit traffic on the highway with the CT, my MPG's increase noticeably. What's the ethanol % out there, we have 10% here in MA.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I'm not sure what your driving habits are in traffic, but when I hit traffic on the highway with the CT, my MPG's increase noticeably. What's the ethanol % out there, we have 10% here in MA.
Well, of course, I guess I should specify, LA/OC traffic. The kind of traffic where people get angry and ride right behind you if you leave any gap in front of you, thus necessitating speeding up to close the gap. The kind of traffic where people will lean on the horn if you do otherwise. The kind of traffic that just makes absolutely no sense, because people slow down for no apparent reason and then suddenly pick up speed. The kind of stop and go traffic that just kills your MPG. =[

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.