Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need some help. I'm feeling a little discouraged. Ive had my new CT for a week and a half now and I filled up my tank and I am only getting 34.5 miles per gallon. I have been driving very cautiously and am I am in Eco 95% of the time. I have been driving both freeway and in town and it seems I'm doing better on the freeway. Today I was driving all in town and the average is saying 29.7. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Check to see what kind of gas you are putting in. 10% (E10) ethanol gas is fairly good but E85 might lose 30% mpg.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm getting about 39 total MPG. Driving extremely conservatively and slow, drafting whenever I can on the freeway and everything..Around town mileage is just terrible and always wrecks whatever I do on the freeway.. I think this is just how it is :-/

It's unlike my 2006 Prius where I could just drive however the hell I wanted and still get 45+MPG

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm getting about 39 total MPG. Driving extremely conservatively and slow, drafting whenever I can on the freeway and everything..Around town mileage is just terrible and always wrecks whatever I do on the freeway.. I think this is just how it is :-/

It's unlike my 2006 Prius where I could just drive however the hell I wanted and still get 45+MPG
Does seem frustrating.. some people saying they are getting 47 and doing nothing special.. I'm wondering if the Ethanol added in California has more of an effect than we know about... They say 1-2 MPG less.. I'm about to give up trying to get great MPG.. takes the fun out of driving... ;)

One thing though comparing your Prius.. rated at 50 - 42 for the CT = 8 MPG less. Comparing 45 to 39 is 6 MPG less. You did say 45+ though..

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Once you hit 5k your mileage will be better. Also, inflating tires to 40 psi gives me mpg in 45-48 range from 38-40.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Black Beauty & Jedi, something just doesn't seem right with your cars. I've read of others on here having mileage issues too, I wonder if there are some lemons that for some reason weren't built right? Just a thought.

Jedi - Getting WORSE mileage once you're off the highway really leads me to believe something is wrong w/ your CT. Any time I drive, my HWY MPG's are around 46 MPG or so and once I get off the highway, my MPG's related to city driving alone can be as high as the 70's....but then the "average" MPG's when combined with the HWY ones then go up, since you're getting better mileage once off the highway (due to the charged battery, regenerative braking & using pure ECO mode at times).

Here's pic I took of my mileage, it is about 8 miles of PURE back road driving. As can be seen, I drove 358 miles since the tank fill-up and had just under 1/4 of a tank. I swear on my kids life, this photo is legit and wasn't taken 10 seconds after resetting the MPG and coasting down a hill! ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Lefty - Based on their mileage, I don't know that those are going to help them. Do you own a CT yet and don't you agree something might be wrong with their car if they're driving conservatively?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
DUH, you do own one, you have one in your signature!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Matt is correct! The new engine needs to be broken in before you'll achieve good mpg. For an example, my wife's 2010 RX 450h took 15K mi before it finally gets 30mpg(EPA 28mpg) on long road trips. Also, making sure your tire pressure is inflated corrrectly helps alot. My CT(900mi on odometer) gets 41mpg calculated after 359mi mixed driving of hills(55mph), city(35-45mph), & freeway(70mph).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lefty - Based on their mileage, I don't know that those are going to help them. Do you own a CT yet and don't you agree something might be wrong with their car if they're driving conservatively?
How do we know if they are driving in sport mode? Also many folks dont really know how to drive.

My in laws bought a Prius and could only achieve 45MPG,After 2 driving lessons ,they both now can achieved 53.8 MPG.

I feel it's the driver. Maybe they don't coast to there stop at the light?Maybe they drive all the way up and brake to the stop?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This might be a complete no brainer. I finally had a day off to go out and mess around/cruise my new ct. I was having similar distress about the lack of gas mileage. I was driving with the AC on. I didn't think it would make much difference because it was on the auto setting and not working very hard to maintain the desired temp. After rolling down a window slightly and turning the cooling system completely off the CT went to EV mode way faster and for longer. My mpg started creeping up and should be in the 45 plus range soon.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My suggestion is to set the On-screen display to Current Fuel Consumption and utilize that while you are driving. When I got my Civic Hybrid in 2003, I was amazed at how much I could improve the mileage by lifting my foot off of the gas just a little bit when cruising at speed and I learned to take my foot off the gas when approaching stopping situations.

IMO, if every car in the US had a Current Fuel Consumption gauge, anyone who wanted to, could increase their fuel economy by 10% by utilizing the information on that gauge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you reset your fuel economy readings when you filled up? I dont know man your numbers dont seem right with the driving you are describing. I have 2000 miles on mine so far and since day one Ive had 43-45mpg (indicated). Thats me driving with A/C on full blast in 98 degree heat. I also don't drive this car any different than any other car since Im not concerned about getting every last mpg.

One thing I can say is maybe, you're trying too hard to stay in economy area. When your'e taking off from a dead stop you should be getting up to your desired speed pretty quickly instead of focusing on staying in the blue area. Heck, maybe try driving it like a normal car for once and see what you get :D

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the good advise. I do admit I did have a lead foot, but I am really trying to be light on the peddle. Ask my husband, he said it was my lead foot and I made him drive with me and he saw I was really was doing good and the mileage was 29-35 in the city and on HWY 40 plus. It's the city mileage I'm concerned about. I only keep it in Eco except when merging on to the freeway, I then switch it to normal and then back to Eco. I do live in the central valley (CA) where the temps have been around 100 - 106 so the AC is on all the time. I did mention it to the dealership when I went in to get my black car washed for the 50th time and the kinda brushed me off. I will check the tire pressure and the gas rating and see if that helps. I'm kinda sad since I waited 3 mo didn't get the color I really wanted and now the mpg aren't what I thought. It does look great when it's clean though. Maybe I'll feel better when I get my vanity plate in (CT200h) I was surprised it was available.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for all the good advise. I do admit I did have a lead foot, but I am really trying to be light on the peddle. Ask my husband, he said it was my lead foot and I made him drive with me and he saw I was really was doing good and the mileage was 29-35 in the city and on HWY 40 plus. It's the city mileage I'm concerned about. I only keep it in Eco except when merging on to the freeway, I then switch it to normal and then back to Eco. I do live in the central valley (CA) where the temps have been around 100 - 106 so the AC is on all the time. I did mention it to the dealership when I went in to get my black car washed for the 50th time and the kinda brushed me off. I will check the tire pressure and the gas rating and see if that helps. I'm kinda sad since I waited 3 mo didn't get the color I really wanted and now the mpg aren't what I thought. It does look great when it's clean though. Maybe I'll feel better when I get my vanity plate in (CT200h) I was surprised it was available.
Tried to order that yesterday and couldn't. Now I see why!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol, wow and I was going to think about it a little longer and my husband said "just get it" so I did on Thursday. Glad I'd did and sorry :( I'll post a pic when I get it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A/c isn't all of it. I can achieve 48+ not with a/c on. It's always on auto and set in the range of 76-79*

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've had mine since March 3rd and have been getting 36-38 mpg the whole time. I've only got about 2700 miles on it to date and 700 of that was a round trip to Sunnyvale with about 100 lbs. of speakers in the back going up; I averaged 39 mpg on that trip! My best results so far was a day of driving all around SoCal where I averaged 44 mpg; that was a 200+ mile day with a couple of traffic jams and surface streets in the mix. The results might have been better, since I didn't reset my averages just for that day! I've had this discussion on the forum before and the mileage killer seems to be LOTS of stop and go traffic where I just get up to 40 mph and immediately have to stop again! It's just the reality of driving in LA! I do try to drive economically, in "normal" mode most of the time. I don't believe that anything is wrong with the car! Another thing that no one is taking into account is their own weight! I'm 6'2" and about 225 lbs., so I'm sure that has something to do with it! Perhaps things will improve a bit once I get over 5000 miles, but that's about as much as I drive each year, per car (I have 2). We'll see! It's still better than the 25-26 mpg I was getting in a Scion xA and a MUCH nicer car!! :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts